Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the best way to compost grass

• 03-07-2011 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I a huge pile of old grass that want to turn into compost but the process seems to be working very very very slowly or not all. Does anyone have any advice as what i should be doing to get this grass to break down in compost quickly ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Grass cuttings can be slower if too much is put together, they key is to layer it with different materials , couple of inches of grass and maybe some cuttings/ vegetable waste etc , best thing of all to add is soil , be it grass sods or whatever. You could also add some compost actifier which you will find in shops. Also keep it moist and turn it occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

grass cuttings on their own just turn into a big gloopy mess. General rule for compost making is 1 part green material to 2 parts brown. Brown is kitchen waste, shredded newspaper, tea leaves etc. You need to get the conditions right for the bacteria to work, too much grass and there isn't enough oxygen in the heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

And because there is little oxygen you need to turn your compost heap with a fork.
    This prevents a sticky mess.

A really fancy method is

or make your own

or

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Thanks for the advice guys.
    I will give it a go and let ye no how i get on.:)

Advertisement