Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Corrib Tape

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭stockyboie

BrianD wrote: »
    You're clutching at straws here. The conversation was in private. The party involved were not addressing the public nor, I doubt, had they intended the conversation to be heard by anybody else but those in the vehicle. It makes no odds who owns the car.

A transfer and perhaps a training would seem to be me a fair course of action to be taken.

I dunno i really don't think that people in this country are going to accept them being snuck into some role behind a desk somewhere .

I think this is an important case for both the public of ireland and the gardai siochana themselves. Bascially if it ends up with nothing happening it will proove what many know and suspect about the state of policing in the republic of ireland i.e That the police are indeed a law onto themselves and operate with impunity with very little transparency if at all. Bascially that they are free to do and say whatever they think and nobody can stand up to them.

I think that this is what many people in the gardai know themselves although many may not actually state it and are happy to keep it that way.

If this case is not dealt with to the satsifaction of BOTH parties i think the ever widening divide that is growing between the gardai and the public will grow even further and this can't be good for anyone.

Trust between police forces and the public is the basic thread which holds society together in some way. If that breaks down then all hell can break loose. Its important that trust between the public and the gardai is always maintained. i don't think it helps either party to be suspicious of one another. For many its not what was said that was important and im sure most people accept this. I think whats important to people is that they know this kind of attitude is not prevelant in the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

:D
    NGA wrote: »
    No one is being politically correct all of a sudden. Bad press is bad press. They have brought the force into disrepute and will get disciplined over it. That is all, just disciplined and rightly so. You are right though, this is a witch hunt and an incident that has been totally blown out of proportion.

But they are and this is a witch hunt, why should they have being issued with a warning and transfer in the first place?

Warning issued for inappropriate language

Oh FFS NGA you're better than that surely? Incidentally (sp?) the irony of it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0407/breaking41.html
    Ms Sullivan said more than 100 complaints have been made over the past two years about gardaí policing the anti-Shell protests in Mayo but none of the officers had been sanctioned where complaints were upheld. “That doesn’t leave you with a huge amount of hope,” she said.

Is this true? if it is things in our system are a lot worse than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    :D

But they are and this is a witch hunt, why should they have being issued with a warning and transfer in the first place?

I agree....they shouldnt

Oh FFS NGA you're better than that surely? Incidentally (sp?) the irony of it all!

Warning issue for questioning moderators actions on thread.
    Spacedog wrote: »

With all due respect most of them are thugs of the highest order. Take for instance those featured on TG4s documentary on the pipe laying......the fisherman featured lives 15-20km away and never fished there before.

Where protesters are and where they are totally wrong there will always be complaints. Just remember everything has been filmed by both sides and no serious complaint has been upheld.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

stockyboie wrote: »
    It seems like policing in ireland is carried out haphazardly. Im not sure why this is. Lack of resources, jail space etc but just appears as though the interpretation of the laws are taken into their own hands. My own experiences of dealing with them range from very helpful and very good to very useless and very ignorant.

I think definetly there is a lack of oversight within the gardai. I don't think they even use supervising officers when out on patrol. Just a case of coming across a crime and dealing with it ad lib instead of following specific rules and regulations. Thats just my opinion of what ive witnessed and heard from other people also so i could be wrong.

I mean the cops here seem to take statements then leave it up to the victim wheither they want to press charges.

Bascially if it ends up with nothing happening it will proove what many know and suspect about the state of policing in the republic of ireland i.e That the police are indeed a law onto themselves and operate with impunity with very little transparency if at all. Bascially that they are free to do and say whatever they think and nobody can stand up to them.

Interestingly you have a total of 2 posts to your name and both of them are critical of the Gardai
    But anyway....

In relation to your first post the Gardai do not "interpret" the law
    They deal with a crime, the file the reports and the DPP decides whether charges are brought or not
    The Victim of a crime may REFUSE to co-operate with an investigation (happens particularly with cases of domestic violence where a crime is reported and investigated but further down the line the victim wants to drop the case
    If the DPP decides that charges are to be brought the victim has NO say in the matter
    Often in the case of domestic's the Gardai will drop the charges if the victim asks them to but they don't have to so you are mis-informed on that point

In relation to the second quote above, the Gardai are not "a law unto themselves"
    A complaint was made and is being investigated by a Superintendent (on behalf of the Commissioner) AND the Ombudsman's office
    IF they are found to have committed an offence they will be disciplined

It never fails to amaze me that people, who would scream & shout for civil rights and the presumption of innocence where civilians are accused of crimes, have no hesitation in condemning Gardai where allegations have been made but are as yet unproven :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I dunno i really don't think that people in this country are going to accept them being snuck into some role behind a desk somewhere .

I think this is an important case for both the public of ireland and the gardai siochana themselves. Bascially if it ends up with nothing happening it will proove what many know and suspect about the state of policing in the republic of ireland i.e That the police are indeed a law onto themselves and operate with impunity with very little transparency if at all. Bascially that they are free to do and say whatever they think and nobody can stand up to them.

I think that this is what many people in the gardai know themselves although many may not actually state it and are happy to keep it that way.

If this case is not dealt with to the satsifaction of BOTH parties i think the ever widening divide that is growing between the gardai and the public will grow even further and this can't be good for anyone.

Trust between police forces and the public is the basic thread which holds society together in some way. If that breaks down then all hell can break loose. Its important that trust between the public and the gardai is always maintained. i don't think it helps either party to be suspicious of one another. For many its not what was said that was important and im sure most people accept this. I think whats important to people is that they know this kind of attitude is not prevelant in the gardai.

I'd say the embarrassment to these Gardai is possibly punishment enough. I'd say that their career advancement prospects might have been hindered also.

The bottom line is that nobody has been injured or hurt and they were extremely ill-advised to do what they did. As I understand it, Gardai are leaving the force quicker than they are joining. To lose another three would be madness and to take three officers with front line training and experience and put them in an office, like Cedric Daniels in Season 2 of The Wire, is a waste of investment.

I think that the Commissioner should apologise on behalf of the whole service, the Gardai involved be made to make a donation to a rape charity and let all Gardai know the standards expected of them. Move on. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Warning issue for questioning moderators actions on thread.

With colleagues like you aye? How's the comfy desk job going? Wouldn't be surprised if you are a member of the garda band.

Plastic cop.

With colleagues like you aye? How's the comfy desk job going? Wouldn't be surprised if you are a member of the garda band.

:eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

agreed . The same leftie **** would be moan about freedom of speech if they were under the kosh

It saddens me so many like you are in the gardai these days.

It's that sort of behaviour and attitude that are the reasons people have no respect for them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I'd say the embarrassment to these Gardai is possibly punishment enough. I'd say that their career advancement prospects might have been hindered also.

The bottom line is that nobody has been injured or hurt and they were extremely ill-advised to do what they did. As I understand it, Gardai are leaving the force quicker than they are joining. To lose another three would be madness and to take three officers with front line training and experience and put them in an office, like Cedric Daniels in Season 2 of The Wire, is a waste of investment.

I think that the Commissioner should apologise on behalf of the whole service, the Gardai involved be made to make a donation to a rape charity and let all Gardai know the standards expected of them. Move on. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

The bottom line is that these Gardaí have broken no laws and probably no rules either. To punish them for a joke would be a gross miscarraige of justice and contrary to our constitution. Being a Garda doesn't mean you lose your civil liberties. Even the most violent of terrorists keep these. Whatever you think about their words you are in fact looking for someone to be punished for making a bad joke and I think it is sickening that two people can be so vilified for something like this.

I won't be judging them on what they said. Everyone has there own way of dealing with things. One of the Gardaí had basically been accused of being a rapist by the woman in question and he was making light of this. When a Garda has a false accusation made against them it is very hard to take in, I can only imagine what it must be like for someone to insinuate you are a rapist. He chose to deal with it by making a joke of it.

Lets get something straight here. There was no victim in this incident. The insincere and self-serving press release by the protester made me ill. To put herself on the same standing as a real victim in order to further her cause is more revolting than any joke. The comparison by a politician of this to a country under military rule is an insult to people who live in constant fear of murder and rape in this country. No doubt this whole incident will have a negative effect on real victims that will have to be prepared and the Gardaí involved will have to play their part in helping to repair this damage and I'm sure they will not object to that.

Lets get onto the technical things. They were on a break, in a place they had a right to expect privacy and they were illegally recorded. If Gardaí could use evidence like this we would have a completely different country. It works both ways.

If there is anyone here who can honestly say they have never laughed at or told an inappropriate joke I would very much like to hear from you because you clearly never went to a public school in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Plastic cop.

User Banned....permanently.

No more comment on above post.

NGA

Are you whoopdedoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

k_mac wrote: »
    The bottom line is that these Gardaí have broken no laws and probably no rules either. To punish them for a joke would be a gross miscarraige of justice and contrary to our constitution.

What do you think should happen?

Can you imagine the reaction from the likes of Joe Higgins etc if it was just brushed aside?

The next time there was any hint of controversy within AGS they'd use this incident as a means of backing up whatever outlandish point they happen to be making.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

To All who are all but short of looking for blood, can you please answer one question, What Law did they break?

Also, did they make the arrests properly?(according to media sources, yes) did they mistreat the prisoners in any way once arrested? (according to the media sources, no).

what are these men guilty of that doesn't happen in conversations between men up and down the country in some form or another?

The sad thing is there are hundreds of other gardai out there either corrupt, thugs, breaking the law etc while these two gardai get hounded out of it.

I'm sure of one thing that there are alot more gardai doing worse than these men that won't be caught. Although a significant amount seem to be in the higher ranks.

What do you think should happen?

Can you imagine the reaction from the likes of Joe Higgins etc if it was just brushed aside?

The next time there was any hint of controversy within AGS they'd use this incident as a means of backing up whatever outlandish point they happen to be making.

So? Fear is no reason to crucify someone or breach liberties. That's how terrorism works.

As to what should be done, that will be for the commissioner to decide at the end of the day and will depend on wether they are deemed to have breached the code of discipline.

hobochris wrote: »
    To All who are all but short of looking for blood, can you please answer one question, What Law did they break?

Also, did they make the arrests properly?(according to media sources, yes) did they mistreat the prisoners in any way once arrested? (according to the media sources, no).

what are these men guilty of that doesn't happen in conversations between men up and down the country in some form or another?

It appears I gather in some video footage that several gardai were very heavy handed dealing with protestors and assaulted them. If that is the case then yes they have broken the law, as for these men in particular I dont believe they have.

The precedent in media witch hunting this has set is quite sad to see.

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Interestingly you have a total of 2 posts to your name and both of them are critical of the Gardai
    But anyway....

In relation to your first post the Gardai do not "interpret" the law
    They deal with a crime, the file the reports and the DPP decides whether charges are brought or not
    The Victim of a crime may REFUSE to co-operate with an investigation (happens particularly with cases of domestic violence where a crime is reported and investigated but further down the line the victim wants to drop the case
    If the DPP decides that charges are to be brought the victim has NO say in the matter
    Often in the case of domestic's the Gardai will drop the charges if the victim asks them to but they don't have to so you are mis-informed on that point

In relation to the second quote above, the Gardai are not "a law unto themselves"
    A complaint was made and is being investigated by a Superintendent (on behalf of the Commissioner) AND the Ombudsman's office
    IF they are found to have committed an offence they will be disciplined

It never fails to amaze me that people, who would scream & shout for civil rights and the presumption of innocence where civilians are accused of crimes, have no hesitation in condemning Gardai where allegations have been made but are as yet unproven :(

ok. Thanks for the reply. So the dpp decide arbitrarily wheither someone is prosecuted or not based on a person wanting to press charges.

Don't get me wrong im not blaming the gardai for anything. Im saying the system in place is totally backwards and they themselves have their hands cuffed.

Why does a national body have to deal with cases of say a stabbing that happens in a small town somewhere in ireland. I see this as a huge problem. Its like say there was a stabbing in new york city or london, if the victim pressed charges against an assilant then they would have to submit a file to the washington D.C department of justice or u.k justice high court? HUH
    Surely the law should be set at national level and allow local courts to deal with these issues.

Jez i feel bad for gardai. No wonder they can't do their jobs and no wonder it takes so long to get prosecutions. Unreal...

hobochris wrote: »

You do not need to have broken a law to be disciplined by your employer.

If two grown men have a conversation via work email with a sexual reference, they will be sacked. This happened at PWC recently.

They did not break the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Vourney

I have plenty of friends who joke about sex and tell raunchy jokes, but I they don't joke about rape. That's just creepy. To me anyway. I certainly wouldn't be friends with anyone who jokes about rape.
    Oh it's widespead and widely accepted, you say. Yes, so is prostitution, but I don't want my child to become mixed up in it either.
    I do hold authority figures and leaders in the community to a higher standard. It goes hand in hand with their position. Authority and leadership is a both responsibility and a privilege. A leader is naturally given more respect than others, but at the same time they have greater responsibility. If they can't handle that respect and responsibility, then they will lose their position, because the people they have authority over will lose their respect for them. What is the Irish concept of how to carry out a position of authority in a responsible manner?

• Advertisement

Vourney wrote: »
    I have plenty of friends who joke about sex and tell raunchy jokes, but I they don't joke about rape. That's just creepy. To me anyway. I certainly wouldn't be friends with anyone who jokes about rape.
    Oh it's widespead and widely accepted, you say. Yes, so is prostitution, but I don't want my child to become mixed up in it either.
    I do hold authority figures and leaders in the community to a higher standard. It goes hand in hand with their position. Authority and leadership is a both responsibility and a privilege. A leader is naturally given more respect than others, but at the same time they have greater responsibility. If they can't handle that respect and responsibility, then they will lose their position, because the people they have authority over will lose their respect for them. What is the Irish concept of how to carry out a position of authority in a responsible manner?

It ranges from condemnation to flat out denial of the issue being relevant at all. What surprises me and worries me as an irish citizen is the excuse list im seeing for these comments. I swear one guy on this forum actually posted a comment where he said 'ah sure its nothing this is the kind of comment i make when i see a hot chick in a bar'

Who the ))) makes rape comments at women in bar as an opener? Your absolutely right though it is creepy and weird and whats weirder is people making excuses for it like it is just 'some joke'. I think some of them must be trolling because no human with any sense of decency thinks rape jokes are funny in any context at all specially not a bunch of police officers doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Corcioch wrote: »
    The conversation was private at the time it took place, and it was between consenting adults.

That is the important legal fact.

Issues of morality etc are completely different and in fairness there has been no dispute there.

If the shoe was on the other foot, and the gardai obtained evidence like this, would the recording be accepted as evidence?

Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Is there a charge of conspiracy to rape?

I'm sure gardai have used covert video recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

No one is being politically correct all of a sudden. Bad press is bad press. They have brought the force into disrepute and will get disciplined over it. That is all, just disciplined and rightly so. You are right though, this is a witch hunt and an incident that has been totally blown out of proportion.

Warning issued for inappropriate language

you'll never take me alive!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

An awful lot of strangers have suddenly appeared in this section to criticise the Gardai......

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Is there a charge of conspiracy to rape?

I'm sure gardai have used covert video recordings.

The mere suggestion that this could be a conspiracy to rape is ridiculous and an insult to real victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0407/breaking41.html
    Ms Sullivan said more than 100 complaints have been made over the past two years about gardaí policing the anti-Shell protests in Mayo but none of the officers had been sanctioned where complaints were upheld. “That doesn’t leave you with a huge amount of hope,” she said.

With all due respect most of them are thugs of the highest order. Take for instance those featured on TG4s documentary on the pipe laying......the fisherman featured lives 15-20km away and never fished there before.

Where protesters are and where they are totally wrong there will always be complaints. Just remember everything has been filmed by both sides and no serious complaint has been upheld.......

From some of the videos posted on youtube it looks like the gardai have done their fair share of thuggery. Given that here has been brutality on both sides I'd have thought that both gardai and protesters would welcome an independent enquiry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

An awful lot of strangers have suddenly appeared in this section to criticise the Gardai......

Point of information: what's a "stranger" in this context, and in the context of the relative openness of Boards generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

I believe a lot of people in Bellanaboy say the same thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Spacedog wrote: »

From some of the videos posted on youtube it looks like the gardai have done their fair share of thuggery. Given that here has been brutality on both sides I'd have thought that both gardai and protesters would welcome an independent enquiry?

Anyone who takes videos on youtube as evidence really shows themselves up. Indymedia and other rent-a-mob groups edit these videos to show peaceful flower child strolling along a road, then cut to him being arrested. They usually leave out the bit where he refused to get up off the middle of the road blocking traffic, after being told to move so as to prevent injury to himself and others.

Despite what those protesters may think, they are not above the law. Yes they have a right to protest, but that does not entitle them to do anything they please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement