Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Thur May 5th
    Plan: easy 3 miles

Plan was an easy 3 miles this evening. I don't usually run 2 evenings in a row anymore so legs weren't happy with this when I started off. Definitely feeling the tiredness in the legs after the session last night.
    Planned pace was about 10:15 (+1 min on PHMP) and took off around the route. Most of the route is through the trees so of course Garmin pace was all over the place. I was convinced I was doing about a 10:30 min mile as I felt like I was plodding through it. Turns out my plodding pace was slightly quicker than a 10:30 min mile - weird how sometimes you feel you're doing absolute crap when you're actually doing ok!

Distance: 3.01
    Time: 28.37
    Avg Pace: 09:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thats why I have to have my garmin all the time, I could never run by feel. Sometimes I think Im going flat out and Im really crawling or sometimes its like Im jogging on the spot and Im doing a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

shazkea wrote: »
    Know the route and you're right, it is lovely. Nice slog jog on the way up

Eh missus don't go using me as an opt out. I'd be well on for it some weekend....bring it on :D

We will :D

Oh god i can be so easily persuaded to try new things :D when we going ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Nules10 wrote: »
    Oh god i can be so easily persuaded to try new things :D when we going ;)

mountain running next - wow girls, impressive!

hollypink wrote: »
    mountain running next - wow girls, impressive!

Lol - as nules said we'll try anything...once. You're more than welcome to join us...the more the merrier :D
    BTW we're in the park sat morns for LSR's too if you feel like joining us any sat - 10:00 - 10:30 pace?????

• Advertisement

Lol - as nules said we'll try anything...once. You're more than welcome to join us...the more the merrier :D
    BTW we're in the park sat morns for LSR's too if you feel like joining us any sat - 10:00 - 10:30 pace?????

Ha ha I don't think I'd be able for the mountain running just yet :p The LSRs in the park sound good though - I'm doing the Leixlip 5k this Saturday but maybe next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great going with the training shaz, you are flying it :D Those hill session sound savage!

hollypink wrote: »
    Ha ha I don't think I'd be able for the mountain running just yet :p The LSRs in the park sound good though - I'm doing the Leixlip 5k this Saturday but maybe next weekend.

Weekend after this is Kildare half but should be back there on weekend of 20th. Will PM you anyway.

Good luck with the 5km on Sat

Sat May 7th

Met up with the crew (jcsmum, nules, aimman, digger, pistol and claralara) for the group run/cycle this morn and nice to put faces to some of the names I hadn’t met.

The boys decided to take us on a tour of city and we left the park to venture to places I had only heard about!! It was really enjoyable with good company and nice to be out of the park. But then jcsmum warned Nules and myself they were leading us towards the legendary hill back into the park (cue claralara laughing at us from the bike!)...we’d spotted the infamous knockmaroon hill :eek:

That’s when disaster struck for me – towards the top of the hill quad went again and had to stop (whose bright idea was that fooping hill...digger and aimman...).

I told the gang to head on while I stopped to try and stretch through it. I tried to get going again with Claralara keeping me company and trying to keep my spirits up (cheers for the pep talk :(). But I had to throw in the towel though as quad was just not up to it and only managed 7.5 miles.

So frustrated and gutted as I really wanted a good LSR before Kildare next weekend. The gang continued on so I added another crap mile on (mainly because it was also the quickest way of getting to the toilets!).

Aaagggghhhhh is all I can say as I’m really p****d off :mad::mad:!! Hopped into a cold bath when I got home and have rolled the bejaysus out of it which seems to have helped it a bit. Ice packs in the freezer ready to be rotated for the evening. Hopefully some rest days and an easy couple of runs next week should see me alright for the half next weekend.

Some great running by the rest of the group so well done there guys and gals.

Crappy summary...
    Distance: 8.51
    Time: 1:21:38
    Pace: 09:36

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Sat May 7th

Met up with the crew (jcsmum, nules, aimman, digger, pistol and claralara) for the group run/cycle this morn and nice to put faces to some of the names I hadn’t met.

The boys decided to take us on a tour of city and we left the park to venture to places I had only heard about!! It was really enjoyable with good company and nice to be out of the park. But then jcsmum warned Nules and myself they were leading us towards the legendary hill back into the park (cue claralara laughing at us from the bike!)...we’d spotted the infamous knockmaroon hill :eek:

That’s when disaster struck for me – towards the top of the hill quad went again and had to stop (whose bright idea was that fooping hill...digger and aimman...).

I told the gang to head on while I stopped to try and stretch through it. I tried to get going again with Claralara keeping me company and trying to keep my spirits up (cheers for the pep talk :(). But I had to throw in the towel though as quad was just not up to it and only managed 7.5 miles.

So frustrated and gutted as I really wanted a good LSR before Kildare next weekend. The gang continued on so I added another crap mile on (mainly because it was also the quickest way of getting to the toilets!).

Aaagggghhhhh is all I can say as I’m really p****d off :mad::mad:!! Hopped into a cold bath when I got home and have rolled the bejaysus out of it which seems to have helped it a bit. Ice packs in the freezer ready to be rotated for the evening. Hopefully some rest days and an easy couple of runs next week should see me alright for the half next weekend.

Crappy summary...

Tough break
    Lots of ice- try some arnica (sp?) as well and maybe a bit of physio or massage- should get you to the start line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Sat May 7th

Crappy summary...

Sorry to hear it Shaz. Your training has been going really well over the last few weeks. Hopefully it's your body just telling you to pull back for a week or so. Plenty of ice and rest as W.B said and hopefully it'll see you back in action for Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Sat May 7th

Crappy summary...

Hope your alright! plently of rest for Kildare.
    8.5 miles still good going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I'm glad you didn't blame me for the hill :) I didn't know what they had in store for us either. Bloody sadists those guys.

Hope the injury is ok and responds well to treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Good to meet you this morning, hope you get it sorted before the Kildare half.

It was my idea to go up the hill, but I'm blaming Digger, cos everything is his fault anyway.:D

The boys decided to take us on a tour of city and we left the park to venture to places I had only heard about!! It was really enjoyable with good company and nice to be out of the park. But then jcsmum warned Nules and myself they were leading us towards the legendary hill back into the park (cue claralara laughing at us from the bike!)...we’d spotted the infamous knockmaroon hill

Ya think our hill reps would have prepared us for that mountain ;)
    Hope the leg is a bit better now. I got into bed when i came home :o
    You will be good to go next Sunday.... I know you will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Shaz, hope you're okay. If we learned anything from this morning it's that 'boys are mean' :(
    I'm sorry that this run didn't happen for you, but fingers crossed you will be ready and able for next weekend.
    Plus I never said goodbye to you properly. I struggled a bit today so wasn't always 'in the zone'

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jcsmum wrote: »
    Shaz, hope you're okay. If we learned anything from this morning it's that 'boys are mean' :(
    They (and what looks like it was a long-lasting sinus infection) broke me on Knockmaroon Hill back in February too! Don't worry about it, look after that quad and kick some arse next weekend.

Ah cheers for the kind posts folks, I do appreciate it. Couple of days rest and I will be right as rain for next weekend.

Savage hill though, love it. It so will be included in the route next time we're out there...

Ah cheers for the kind posts folks, I do appreciate it. Couple of days rest and I will be right as rain for next weekend.

Savage hill though, love it. It so will be included in the route next time we're out there...

hope the few days rest sorts you out. Knockmaroon hill is tough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    Sat May 7th

Crappy summary...

Sorry to hear your leg playing up today, hoping ice/rest helps with that!
    8.5 good run tho and you have some good running done over the last few weeks to help with next week.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sorry that you are in bother with the quad shaz, I had a similar prob a few days before a 10 miler in Dungarvan back in January. Went to the physio, and he cleaned it out. Worked wonders for me, on the day my legs felt fresh and new :) I'd advise you to see your physio.

Training has been going great for you, you deserve a brilliant run in Kildare.

RubyK wrote: »
    Sorry that you are in bother with the quad shaz, I had a similar prob a few days before a 10 miler in Dungarvan back in January. Went to the physio, and he cleaned it out. Worked wonders for me, on the day my legs felt fresh and new :) I'd advise you to see your physio.

Cheers ruby. Correct advice but prob is I can't get to a physio until Wed at least - away with work. Tennis ball and tiger balm packed - wondered if I should declare it as an instrument of torture passing thru security :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hope you’re feeling a bit better now missus! And don’t be beating yourself up about it – as I said from the comfort of my saddle, you still got some good miles in and there’s no way you should discount them! It wasn’t a ‘bad’ day at the office so much as a ‘not so good’ one… I hope you’ve forgotten about it and are just looking forward to Kildare now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    RubyK wrote: »

+1! :D

Must meet up for a few reps or barnageera hill some night. Thats steeper and 1K from bottom to top :eek:

claralara wrote: »
    Hope you’re feeling a bit better now missus! And don’t be beating yourself up about it – as I said from the comfort of my saddle, you still got some good miles in and there’s no way you should discount them! It wasn’t a ‘bad’ day at the office so much as a ‘not so good’ one… I hope you’ve forgotten about it and are just looking forward to Kildare now. :)

Cheers CL, great pep talk from the saddle :).Yep I am looking forward to Kildare alright. Little hurdle of physio this eve and then I'll decide on strategy for Sun - line up behind sub 2 or take her handy.....or a combination of both as I blow up at the sub 2 pace :o

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Must meet up for a few reps or barnageera hill some night. Thats steeper and 1K from bottom to top :eek:

Where's this hill?
    Def on for reps...will remain on the fence about running the hill till I see where it is! Steeper and 1K :eek:...can I not just walk it and use it for my hiking training for Kilimanjaro ;)

Where's this hill?
    Def on for reps...will remain on the fence about running the hill till I see where it is! Steeper and 1K :eek:...can I not just walk it and use it for my hiking training for Kilimanjaro ;)

The hills in Ardgillian are mere bumps compared to this hill. Lovely view at the top though ;)
    And Kilimanjaro.... can i come :)
    Think pistol is a bit of a sadist too...he was in good company so on saturday ;)

Nules10 wrote: »
    The hills in Ardgillian are mere bumps compared to this hill. Lovely view at the top though ;)
    And Kilimanjaro.... can i come :)
    Think pistol is a bit of a sadist too...he was in good company so on saturday ;)

Is it near Balb? Think I should maybe conquer the hills in Ardgillan a bit better (and get the quad fixed!) before I move onto this by the sounds of it!!!
    Agree Pistol was in good company the other day or else they are teaching him bad habits!

• Advertisement

Is it near Balb? Think I should maybe conquer the hills in Ardgillan a bit better (and get the quad fixed!) before I move onto this by the sounds of it!!!
    Agree Pistol was in good company the other day or else they are teaching him bad habits!

If you go out the top gate at Ardgillan and turn left this brings you down the hill. The hill starts from under the railway bridge at barnageera and up to the gates.

Please don't bracket me with that other shower (yet anyway) :)

Advertisement