Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eid ul-Fitr in UAE

• 12-08-2009 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hello!!!

I'm not sure if this is slightly un-related to what this forum was set up for, but I reckoned it was the best place to ask.

I'm going to be in Dubai for the first day of Eid on 20 September on the way back from a trip to China. Basically, I want to know what the celebrations typically consist of? From what I've read, they're very region-specific so it's hard to know. Plus the fact that Dubai is such a multi-cultural city means that many of the ex-pats who write about the city on the web may not write specifically about Muslim feasts and celebrations. Of course, as most of the local-born population are Muslim, there are going to be celebrations!! I just would like to know if anyone can point me in the direction of what to see, what to go to, what to do etc.

Also, as I will only be there for a day between two flights and I want to get the most from my day, do you reckon it will be possible to visit the Jumeirah Mosque on that particular day, or will it be busy with worshippers? I've never been to a mosque before and I really want to learn more about Islam so I would love to go see it, but obviously I don't want to interrupt people while they are praying. I myself find it very ignorant when people are walking and talking around a church while people are trying to pray, even though I would certainly not be the strictest of Christians so I do not want to disrupt any Muslims on such an important day.

Thanks for your help. :D !!شكرًا

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

number10a wrote: »
    Hello!!!

I'm not sure if this is slightly un-related to what this forum was set up for, but I reckoned it was the best place to ask.

I'm going to be in Dubai for the first day of Eid on 20 September on the way back from a trip to China. Basically, I want to know what the celebrations typically consist of? From what I've read, they're very region-specific so it's hard to know. Plus the fact that Dubai is such a multi-cultural city means that many of the ex-pats who write about the city on the web may not write specifically about Muslim feasts and celebrations. Of course, as most of the local-born population are Muslim, there are going to be celebrations!! I just would like to know if anyone can point me in the direction of what to see, what to go to, what to do etc.

Also, as I will only be there for a day between two flights and I want to get the most from my day, do you reckon it will be possible to visit the Jumeirah Mosque on that particular day, or will it be busy with worshippers? I've never been to a mosque before and I really want to learn more about Islam so I would love to go see it, but obviously I don't want to interrupt people while they are praying. I myself find it very ignorant when people are walking and talking around a church while people are trying to pray, even though I would certainly not be the strictest of Christians so I do not want to disrupt any Muslims on such an important day.

Thanks for your help. :D !!شكرًا

umm how do you know the date for the eid? its not confirmed yet.

usually you go to prayer in the morning, and then hang out with family, eat sweets etc, its just like christmas except a tad less materialistic

Advertisement