Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Traffic Blues - RTE1 - May 31st

• 22-05-2009 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/traffic-blues-1748251.html
    Garda_Herald_324237t.jpg

By Lorna Nolan

Friday May 22 2009

The bad behaviour of motorists is to be unveiled with a behind-the-scenes look at the Garda Traffic Corps.

Traffic Blues is set to shock viewers when the harsh reality of just how dangerous some drivers are on our roads. The six-part RTE series was shot over the course of six months and shines a light into the life of the Traffic Corps at all levels.

TV cameras will focus on the Garda Traffic Corps' activities across the country, narrowing in on three divisions primarily.

Over the course of the six months, the gardai from the three units were accompanied by the film crew as they went about their daily business.

A representative for Montrose revealed that people tuning in will be shocked by the attitudes and behaviour of a number of Irish drivers.

The series will debut on Sunday, May 31 at 8.30pm on RTE One.

lnolan@herald.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

Tought it was going to be called Traffic Corps. Well, at least we have a date now!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Im gonna be the first one to say that this programme will be completely edited and show nothing like what happens in real life with the traffic corps.

It will be all checkpoints/speed checks, giving out tickets and driving up and down motorways and maybe a fatal road traffic accident put in aswell to give the "shock" factor to the programme.

I bet their not going show the traffic units going to proper calls like they usually do, fights, robberies, public order, chases

I hope im proved wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Im gonna be the first one to say that this programme will be completely edited and show nothing like what happens in real life with the traffic corps.

It will be all checkpoints/speed checks, giving out tickets and driving up and down motorways and maybe a fatal road traffic accident put in aswell to give the "shock" factor to the programme.

I bet their not going show the traffic units going to proper calls like they usually do, fights, robberies, public order, chases

I hope im proved wrong

+1 agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

or going for coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

hopefully it will mention about the story in tomorrows papers (about the gardai seizing a 200K Porsche - and lying in court.)

ok.... replace "lying" with " providing his version of the truth"

• Advertisement

PCPhoto wrote: »
    hopefully it will mention about the story in tomorrows papers (about the gardai seizing a 200K Porsche - and lying in court.)

ok.... replace "lying" with " providing his version of the truth"

Doubt it. You have to remember that this was recorded over a six month period which started late last year. I think they finished recording in February / March so anything thats happened since then won't be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

''Traffic Blues''?

That makes it sound all depressing.
    rte.ie wrote:
    Incidents from their daily business were combined with the relevant footage from ground, mobile and airborne cameras to reveal the situations the traffic division has to deal with and the often shocking attitudes and the behaviour of Irish drivers across the country.

This bit sounds good however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

donvito99 wrote: »
    ''Traffic Blues''?

That makes it sound all depressing.

This bit sounds good however.

Are there ways for people who can't get RTE to watch it?

It should be available on the RTÉ website, but only if you are in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Maybe someone will put it on youtube?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I suppose I can always set it on Sky+ and watch it when I get back. Still, I hate having to rely on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Finally! Thanks OP ;)

http://www.rte.ie/tv/trafficblues/index.html

Traffic Blues RTÉ One, Sunday, 8.30pm

"People are killed on the roads every day. In the first five months of 2009 alone, 100 lives were lost. From speeding, traffic jams, drunk driving, penalty points, fatigue at the wheel, the grind of the daily commute to mobile phone use at the wheel, the potential for danger on our roads is more stark than ever.

A new six-part observational series, Traffic Blues, shines a light into six months of the life of the Traffic Corps at all levels and across the country, but primarily in three divisions - the Dublin Metropolitan division based in Dublin Castle, the Louth division taking in stations in Drogheda and Dundalk and the Donegal division focusing on Burnfoot and Letterkenny.

Over six months, guards from the three units were accompanied by a film crew as they went about their daily business of enforcing the laws of the road throughout the country. Incidents from their daily business were combined with the relevant footage from ground, mobile and airborne cameras to reveal the situations the traffic division has to deal with and the often shocking attitudes and the behaviour of Irish drivers across the country."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Your the gob%%te that pays all the taxes.

The guy that """lives""" in andora and just drove his porshe in to the country two hours before any checkpoint he might be stopped at and pays no income tax, capital gains tax or vrt tax in this country is also getting a further chunk of your money from the court that awarded him damages paid by the tax payer.
    Heres a good version of the truth your the tosser that supports someone stealing your money.

language please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Just saw an ad there now, looks good!

Just seen the ad myself. I think we may all be pleasantly suprised!! The Ad shows footage of a chase from the dash cam, RTÉ camera and the helicopter.It also shows the ANPR system in use, & a crash scene. So maybe it's not as filled with Road Safety Propaganda as tought. Looking forward to seeing it on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I was wondering why there was camera crews in the back of the cop cars around here.Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Disappointing to see a member on the ad accusing some motorist of having a smell of 'drink' off him. I presume she was about to breathalise and/or arrest him. 'Drink' isn't mentioned in legislation - it's 'alcohol' or 'intoxicating liquor'. (everything from water to coffee etc is 'drink') Properly argued, that would get him off in court. Obviously the footage didn't have to be approved by Garda legal people before being shown........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

jpfahy wrote: »
    Disappointing to see a member on the ad accusing some motorist of having a smell of 'drink' off him. I presume she was about to breathalise and/or arrest him. 'Drink' isn't mentioned in legislation - it's 'alcohol' or 'intoxicating liquor'. (everything from water to coffee etc is 'drink') Properly argued, that would get him off in court. Obviously the footage didn't have to be approved by Garda legal people before being shown........

PC gone mad...

Sure you hear the same on all the shows over in the UK daily. I'm sure they didn't get off as a result and to be honest if you did, the judge needs to be flogged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

There is a requirement to inform an arrested person in plain language as to the reason why they are being arrested, so saying "drink" is perfectly acceptable.

A regular joe soap wouldn't know what Section 49 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 to 2006 is, I know it as driving while intoxicated, or Drunk driving, hence the need to talk in plain language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

wow.
    i think the motorist knew well what he meant. Obviously the motorist would be tested later for by an apparatus for indicating the presence of alcohol, and thats what will be used in evidence.

Not so much the chit chat before the man was arrested. Thats the guard forming his opinion and observing the mans responses.

I've never heard of a case thrown out over 'Is that a smell of drink off your breath?' 'Yeah i've had a few jars alright, 10 pints'
    could be ten pints of milk!
    But its the opinion of the guard and the evidence that will convict.

ps - its part of the police's job to detect, ACCUSE, charge and prosecute

apologies for sidetracking the thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Calverton

I know one thing. In the equivalent UK programmes, the cops come across as a load of buffons. What with their "nicknames", childish humour, love of power and giddyness over getting to drive a fast car.

Since when was every car driver a criminal in need of catching????

Calverton wrote: »
    I know one thing. In the equivalent UK programmes, the cops come across as a load of buffons. What with their "nicknames", childish humour, love of power and giddyness over getting to drive a fast car.

I think you are confusing:

nicknames with friendliness
    childish humour with a bit of banter
    love of power with assertiveness and
    giddyness over getting to drive a fast car with adrenaline

Since when was every car driver a criminal in need of catching????

Over simplification if Im honest. Every criminal will blend themselves into the general populus as much as they can to avoid detection. Some criminals are very good at that.

TheNog wrote: »
    I think you are confusing:

nicknames with friendliness
    childish humour with a bit of banter
    love of power with assertiveness and
    giddyness over getting to drive a fast car with adrenaline.

Tizzy, Dixie, Judders...... And it is the commentator who uses the nicknames. I suppose they want us to "bond" with the cops, feel part of the team. I don't know about anyone else, but these programmes make me much more hostile to traffic cops.

It is obvious to all discerning viewers that these cops are on a power trip of massive proportions.

I don't think adrenaline has any place in a police car.

Tell me this, which is more dangerous. A person driving down the road 5mph in excess of the speed limit, of a cop car tearing after the "criminal" from a standing start, using the blues and twos to force other cars out of the way, before having the person pulling over to what I consider an unsafe position while a ticket is given out.

Over simplification if Im honest. Every criminal will blend themselves into the general populus as much as they can to avoid detection. Some criminals are very good at that.

You are proving my point. So everyone is gulity until proven innocent by a copper who has used his "senses". Not a fan of this mentality.

Tizzy, Dixie, Judders...... And it is the commentator who uses the nicknames. I suppose they want us to "bond" with the cops, feel part of the team. I don't know about anyone else, but these programmes make me much more hostile to traffic cops.

Or possibly the use of nicknames is to show people that Police officers are human as well, have the faults of humans and are not robotic, clinical thinking people whose only goal is to prosecute people.
    It is obvious to all discerning viewers that these cops are on a power trip of massive proportions.

If all people thought the same as you then surely the programme wouldnt be still on TV. No it would be cancelled cos it wouldn't be generating revenue. I like the programme cos I see how the British Cops do their job and utilise some of their techniques.
    I don't think adrenaline has any place in a police car.

Adrenaline does have a part in the car as it heightens the senses and increases reaction time while all the time the adrenaline is used in a controlled way so as not to cause harm to the officers or civilians.
    Tell me this, which is more dangerous. A person driving down the road 5mph in excess of the speed limit,

If you can provide me an example of this fabled violation, I will believe you.
    of a cop car tearing after the "criminal" from a standing start, using the blues and twos to force other cars out of the way, before having the person pulling over to what I consider an unsafe position while a ticket is given out.

OK so all Police, Ambulance and Fire vehicles should abandon the lights and sirens because they are forcing their way through traffic which some people dont like. Come on out of that will ye. Lights and sirens are used to alert drivers of an Emergency service vehicle needing to get through traffic as quickly and safely as possible.

As for traffic stops, well some are extremely dangerous alright but are done with the risks minimised as much as possible. Stops are very much a part of policing.

You are proving my point. So everyone is gulity until proven innocent by a copper who has used his "senses".

Certainly not and thats not what I implied at all. Where is the harm with talking to a driver? If that driver is shown to be a criminal isnt that the whole point of Policing?
    Not a fan of this mentality.

There is no mentality and there is no conspiracy.

Or possibly the use of nicknames is to show people that Police officers are human as well, have the faults of humans and are not robotic, clinical thinking people whose only goal is to prosecute people..

Yeah, that is my opinion. Those targets have to be met if promotion is to be an option......

If all people thought the same as you then surely the programme wouldnt be still on TV. No it would be cancelled cos it wouldn't be generating revenue. I like the programme cos I see how the British Cops do their job and utilise some of their techniques..

A lot of people watch shows because they dislike the topic concerned.

Adrenaline does have a part in the car as it heightens the senses and increases reaction time while all the time the adrenaline is used in a controlled way so as not to cause harm to the officers or civilians.

I agree. However from what I seen on the show itself, how much adrenaline is needed to pull over an ordinary "speeder"?

If you can provide me an example of this fabled violation, I will believe you..

My oul fella. Coming out of the port tunnel, just where the speed limit drops for no reason outside the tunnel. This is a popular spot for the gardai. So much so that it was on the Joe Duffy show on the day after he was given 3 penalty points and a fine for going a crazy 5kmph over the limit.

OK so all Police, Ambulance and Fire vehicles should abandon the lights and sirens because they are forcing their way through traffic which some people dont like. Come on out of that will ye. Lights and sirens are used to alert drivers of an Emergency service vehicle needing to get through traffic as quickly and safely as possible. .

An emergency, I have no problem. Chasing like lunatics to catch someone marginaly over the speed limit is what I mainly encounter.
    As for traffic stops, well some are extremely dangerous alright but are done with the risks minimised as much as possible. Stops are very much a part of policing. .

Well, I have seen cops pull cars over to positions semi on the kerb/road to issue tickets to mothers with a car load of children. Strikes me as defeating the purpose of the stop.

Certainly not and thats not what I implied at all. Where is the harm with talking to a driver? If that driver is shown to be a criminal isnt that the whole point of Policing?

I like to go about my daily activities without any dealings with the police.

Tell me this, why does the job of a traffic officer need to be glamorized?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

Tell me this, why does the job of a traffic officer need to be glamorized?

Isn't this show being produced with the assistance of the Road Saftey Authority??? It's not glamourising the job of a traffic officer, it's highlighting the crazy, irresponsible and reckless driving that is seen by traffic officers every day on our roads, and conveying it in a way that is both informative and enjoyable to watch.

"Educational" programming doesn't have to be boring and sedate, so what if a few mules from traffic become somewhat recognisable from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Have it in the Sky Planner, should be interesting anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

foinse wrote: »
    Isn't this show being produced with the assistance of the Road Saftey Authority??? It's not glamourising the job of a traffic officer, it's highlighting the crazy, irresponsible and reckless driving that is seen by traffic officers every day on our roads, and conveying it in a way that is both informative and enjoyable to watch.

"Educational" programming doesn't have to be boring and sedate, so what if a few mules from traffic become somewhat recognisable from it.
    +1

Has Road Wars caused Thames Valley or Devon and Cornwall police any problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Well if it did cause any problems, it last six series ( i think) before it was cancelled!

Advertisement