Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

looking for computer science grinds

• 17-06-2013 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm looking for someone to teach me how to program , write code etc. preferably someone who can travel in Dublin area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

larrier23 wrote: »
    I'm looking for someone to teach me how to program , write code etc. preferably someone who can travel in Dublin area.

It might help if you give a little more information. What level you're at, what language you'd like to learn.
    Have you tried any online resources? You can learn pretty much any language, and how to program with the help of videos, documentation, free ebooks and tutorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 larrier23

I'm a beginner , I have tried online resources and ye they are good but I'm just looking for grinds where I can ask someone specifically with anything i'm stuck on. i'll need to learn JAVA because there'll be a lot of it on my course but I want to start with the basics, HTML, CSS and JavaScript

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Have you actually started a course yet or you starting shortly ?

Most courses expect that you do not know how to program.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 larrier23

haven't started yet but I wanted to get a head start.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

i'll need to learn JAVA because there'll be a lot of it on my course but I want to start with the basics, HTML, CSS and JavaScript

Where is your course? I'd imagine most computer science courses in the country would completely ignore HTML and CSS. While you could arguably call them basic, neither of these will set a foundation for you to learn Java; they're not even remotely similar.

Javascript is probably the worst possible choice as a first language. Ignore it for now unless you're absolutely sure it's on the course.

My advice would either to start an online course in Java Or C. C may be a better choice at first since it shares a lot of programming structures with
    Java (and is generally quite similar), while not having any object-oriented malarkey to confuse you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

haven't started yet but I wanted to get a head start.

Learning how to learn on your own, is a skill that you really need to have.

Advertisement