Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android for HP touchpad (WebOs)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Sweet. Any issues at all in comparison to an Android tablet?

I'm still not entirely sure why I need a tablet but having nabbed a Touchpad I'm sure I'll find reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

stevekavo wrote: »
    Just put Android Apha 3 on yesterday and its running perfect. It really puts Web O/S to shame.:D

been having wifi issues myself but apart from that it seems to be working well...

I know its a long way off but i'd love to see an ICS release....

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Been having a few wi-fi issues myself but other than that ok. Still a lot better than web os

As in it won't connect at all to WiFi or drops signal?

Alpha 2 was doing both. Alpha 3 has dropped once but it's probably the connection I'm on.

• Advertisement

Any problems getting on to the market etc?

No once you download the g apps file it should work no problem. It gets installed as part of the original install

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

zarquon wrote: »
    Just do a clockwork recovery update on the zip file and overwrite the current install.

I'm about to go from alpha 1 to alpha 3... is it this file I just download: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10121-releasealpha3cyanogenmod-touchpad/
    CM7:
    Alpha3
    http://goo-inside.me...bugs-signed.zip
    Other mirror to come...
    md5: 3b7d774ae2833722c9883e77a0e86024

or is it:
    Clockwork Recovery:
    http://mirror.dal.td...erloin-1012.zip
    http://goo-inside.me...erloin-1012.zip
    md5: 1308300f38685d44afde730efd9132cc

Thanks

[edit] It was pretty simple... put the android into usb storage mode. Then copy the file:
    CM7:
    Alpha3
    http://goo-inside.me...bugs-signed.zip
    Other mirror to come...
    md5: 3b7d774ae2833722c9883e77a0e86024

Then reboot it into clockwork recovery and update using that file [/edit]

Got my Touchpad over the weekend, pretty happy with it so far.

Bought it in Click.ie and the guy advised me not to put Android on it just yet as he has heard of some bricked units. Any truth in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Any truth in this?

No. Some people have had some issues but the device can always be hard booted and recovered... but even this is very very rare, and usually caused because the user has made a mistake in the install.

• Advertisement

BuzzFish wrote: »
    No. Some people have had some issues but the device can always be hard booted and recovered... but even this is very very rare, and usually caused because the user has made a mistake in the install.

Cheers. I've rooted and installed custom roms on my SGS before without issue but I'm actually liking WebOS for browsing. Will probably wait for ICS before installing Android.

Any recommendations for a case??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Any recommendations for a case??
    I like this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005J064XS I see its out of stock - but perhaps other suppliers sell it.

Sniipe wrote: »
    I like this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005J064XS I see its out of stock - but perhaps other suppliers sell it.

Cheers. I had a look around and if anyone knew of a supplier selling this case that would ship to Ireland that would be great.

41v8H%2BgkIfL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

elara have the HP original case for sale.. still think its a bit pricey at 30 lids but its a decent case.

i can get them off the epp for e25.41 if anyone is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Just got my HP touchpad 16gb this morning and spent the last 30 mins or so Installing CyanogenMod Alpha 3.5, was surprised how easy it was.

The instructions in the readme.txt for ACME installer are the best. I found it complicated to find in the wiki thread. For ease, here is my quick install for anyone who just got one in the firesale.

1. For anyone else doing this the only app you need to install on your computer is the novacom, you can get it directly from here. This will install the Novacom drivers into the folder C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc (for windows).

2. Download Acmeinstaller, and CM7 3.5 Alpha and moboot from the links in here. Easiest thing to do is put the files in same folder as the Novacom above.

3. Boot up TouchPad and connect usb cable from touchpad to computer. Follow instructions to connect as a USB drive etc.

4. Go to the drive that mounted on your computer and create a folder called "cminstall" and copy the 3 files downloaded from step 2 into it.

5. Unmount the touchpad, disconnect cable if you had to, I did. Once touchpad comes back to life, plug in USB again but dont go to USB Drive, select close instead.

6. Reboot the TouchPad. (settings-->device info-->reset options-->reboot) When screen goes completely black hold the volume up button till a big USB icon appears on the touchpad.

8. On your computer, open a DOS window and go to the "C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc" folder and run the command "novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller"

9. Should start running loads of script on the touchpad, give it a couple of minutes and it will reboot into menu and choose the CyanogenMod Alpha 3.5 install to boot into.

10. I noted that android market was missing from the install of CM3.5. I downloaded the google apps pack from the wiki and followed the instructions from this youtube clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

what is the battery life like compared to webOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Newbie here! Just got mine yesterday.

What version of Android is CM7 3.5 Alpha ? Or am I way off base?
    I want to see the features I get if I do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Android 2.3.4 . We won't be seeing Android 4.0 until around February or perhaps even later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Frankie Prickly Odometer

bazual wrote: »
    10. I noted that android market was missing from the install of CM3.5. I downloaded the google apps pack from the wiki and followed the instructions from this youtube clip.

I can't get into that recovery mode he's in, when I reboot with recovery and reboots it gives me options of: load boot cyanogenmod , boot webos, boot webos recovery or reboot, none of which are the recovery mode from the video. Anyone know what i am missing here?

nm wrote: »
    I can't get into that recovery mode he's in, when I reboot with recovery and reboots it gives me options of: load boot cyanogenmod , boot webos, boot webos recovery or reboot, none of which are the recovery mode from the video. Anyone know what i am missing here?

Sounds like its booting normally for you and not into the recovery menu, strange. I have no issues.

Just to be sure, when you boot into android and hold in power button to get the menu, you choose reboot then the next menu choose recovery (the second option) and then press OK. As soon as you do that it reboots into the recovery menu for me.

• Advertisement

Sounds like its booting normally for you and not into the recovery menu, strange. I have no issues.

Just to be sure, when you boot into android and hold in power button to get the menu, you choose reboot then the next menu choose recovery (the second option) and then press OK. As soon as you do that it reboots into the recovery menu for me.

Positive, exactly that, as in the second option. And you're right actually it is just normal rebooting - I just did a normal reboot there for the first time (the first option) and it's exactly the same (literally just installed so I hadn't done a standard reboot before).

This is strange, and annoying.

I've figured out I probably don't have clockworkmod installed. Now just need to figure out show to remedy that..

Sorted, crisis averted

Sorted, crisis averted

good stuff, i dont remember installing that unless i copied it to the sdcard and it did it automatically.

Thanks again for the point by point post bazual, very helpful, im up and running on CyanogenMod fully now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

do you need to install alpha 1, 2 & 3 etc if your installing android for the first time? or can you simply install 3.5??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Just got my HP touchpad 16gb this morning and spent the last 30 mins or so Installing CyanogenMod Alpha 3.5, was surprised how easy it was.

The instructions in the readme.txt for ACME installer are the best. I found it complicated to find in the wiki thread. For ease, here is my quick install for anyone who just got one in the firesale.

1. For anyone else doing this the only app you need to install on your computer is the novacom, you can get it directly from here. This will install the Novacom drivers into the folder C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc (for windows).

2. Download Acmeinstaller, and CM7 3.5 Alpha and moboot from the links in here. Easiest thing to do is put the files in same folder as the Novacom above.

3. Boot up TouchPad and connect usb cable from touchpad to computer. Follow instructions to connect as a USB drive etc.

4. Go to the drive that mounted on your computer and create a folder called "cminstall" and copy the 3 files downloaded from step 2 into it.

5. Unmount the touchpad, disconnect cable if you had to, I did. Once touchpad comes back to life, plug in USB again but dont go to USB Drive, select close instead.

6. Reboot the TouchPad. (settings-->device info-->reset options-->reboot) When screen goes completely black hold the volume up button till a big USB icon appears on the touchpad.

8. On your computer, open a DOS window and go to the "C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc" folder and run the command "novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller"

9. Should start running loads of script on the touchpad, give it a couple of minutes and it will reboot into menu and choose the CyanogenMod Alpha 3.5 install to boot into.

thanks for this.
    Im gonna try put android on my touchpad later.
    Hope I dont balls it up :mad:

Edit- ok I'm up and running with cyanogen7. Quick question I have daroon player installed to play avi files.
    Where do I drop the avi file in mass storage?

I've installed Android fine by the looks of things using Bazuals guide but when I boot into recovery I don't have the Clockwork Mod recovery menu so can't install the gApps pack.

Any ideas?

I've figured out I probably don't have clockworkmod installed. Now just need to figure out show to remedy that..
    Sorted, crisis averted

Care to enlighten me as to how?

I can boot into it the method described below but that only works when I have it connected to my laptop:

What do to if ClockworkMod Recovery fails to install

It’s possible that Android may install properly, while the ClockworkMod Recovery installation fails. One theory is that this happens sometimes if you have a custom webOS kernel in the /boot partition. Here’s what you can do manually install the Recovery:

Unzip the update-cwm_ternerloin-1012.zip file to the same director where Novacom and your ACMEInstaller files are located.
    Connect your TouchPad to your computer and reboot into Recovery by holding the Up Volume button while you reboot.
    Open a terminal and navigate to the Novacom directory.
    Type the following (without the quotes): “novacom boot mem:// < uImage.ClockworkMod”

It boots into ClockworkMod recovery but it isn't there as an option the next time I boot to recovery just using the TP.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Anyone?

Advertisement