Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheating.. *See Mod Note in Post 112*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

The supervisor in my exam centre is soo old that he must have been doing his driver practical exam on a dinosaur !

but seriously now, guy is almost blind . The person in the desk just in front of him had their phone out under the desk for at last 10 minutes in english p2, its funny because i have spotted that form almost the other end of the room LOL:D . I would not report it since i think people cheating take the risk , and they should get something out of it if not caught, and btw no one could cheat the whole exam. maybe just scrape out a pass or a bit above it .. or get caught.. ( im an A-B-student myself and i don't need to cheat, just saying what i think ):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

I think it's kinda funny that most people posting in this thread feel the need to add a disclaimer "I would never cheat myself, but.." to their posts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Racheln456

A guy in my school has been cheating for loadsss of exams with his phone cause his examiner isn't walking around the classroom and he's down the back. I wouldn't care too much but its just that he's going for the same course as i am... its so unfair :/

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Racheln456 wrote: »
    A guy in my school has been cheating for loadsss of exams with his phone cause his examiner isn't walking around the classroom and he's down the back. I wouldn't care too much but its just that he's going for the same course as i am... its so unfair :/

Mention that you THINK someone MIGHT be cheating to the examiner, and ask him to have the odd stroll around, if you don't want to say right out yer man is cheating.

A few of my friends were talking about cheating for Business and History, I started laughing, they're only saying it to look 'cool'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭terryincork

Areq wrote: »
    and btw no one could cheat the whole exam. maybe just scrape out a pass or a bit above it

It is easily possible to cheat the whole exam..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 StarCollision

I haven't seen anyone cheating, thank god, but then again, I haven't been looking. I have enough to be focusing on, on the exam paper, never mind what everyone else is doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

People who cheat probably aren't very good at school and probably won't do that well even with their cheating... you can't really cheat yourself all the way to an A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Clickclack wrote: »
    When ever I get nervous I need to pee and whenever I get nervous I drink loads of water, thus I have not gone a single exam yet without having to leave to go to the bathroom. I keep on getting funny looks from the attendants/supervisor because I'm sure they think I'm cheating. Unfortunately, since it hasn't been brought up I can't really go "No I've only a really weak bladder! :("
    In one of the grind schools around here the teachers used to give the students a hand with the leaving. My school is quite strict though. Only the most well behaved and nervous of fifth years are chosen and there's 3 to each room.

OMG. That just annoys me SO MUCH! Not only do they get the best teaching money can buy but they also get help with their exams. How much more spoon fed "to success" can one be? They'll get an almighty shock when they go to college though I tell ya' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

3141224393_41780_121776394532595_5200_n_xlarge.jpeg
    For some people, even cheating can't help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

It is easily possible to cheat the whole exam..

Depends on the exam! I doubt anyone could cheat the whole way through the likes of English, Irish or History. Maybe biology or fact based, short on writing types of subjects, but I think it must be impossible to get an A1 in anything just from cheating.

Someone earlier mentioned having to go to the bathroom a lot, I have that problem too! It's what I do when I'm nervous. Also, the first 2 days of the exams, I forgot to bring tissues with me and I had the worst hayfever, so I had go to once because of my weak bladder, and again because I needed a tissue.:o

• Advertisement

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Depends on the exam! I doubt anyone could cheat the whole way through the likes of English, Irish or History. Maybe biology or fact based, short on writing types of subjects, but I think it must be impossible to get an A1 in anything just from cheating.

those are the three that would be easiest..maybe not an A1 but easily a B..

Of course one would need to be seated with people blocking the examiners view and the examiner not the most aware person in the room..but yeh I thoroughly believe it'd be possible to get a very good grade..there's also the fact of the method of cheating ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Going to a grinds school does not give you the best teachers money can buy, some of the teachers in our school taught in the private school in town before they were qualified, as they said to us they merely retyped notes from books and got students to learn them. Ours are tops and I go to a really mixed school, this is such a sickening thread though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Clickclack wrote: »
    When ever I get nervous I need to pee and whenever I get nervous I drink loads of water, thus I have not gone a single exam yet without having to leave to go to the bathroom. I keep on getting funny looks from the attendants/supervisor because I'm sure they think I'm cheating. Unfortunately, since it hasn't been brought up I can't really go "No I've only a really weak bladder! :("

Same but I've restricted my liquid intake during the exams. Enough not to get dehydrated but it stops me needing to go every hour. I've only had to leave during an exam once but I'll head to the bathrooms right before and after each exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

I do pass english (doing the course in a year in honours and was out for a month sick so i just dropped) and pass irish and i was done both maths papers after an hour and a half. anyway, I spend at least 10 minutes per exam, more for the pass papers, looking around and im sure ive seen the superintendent looking at me and scribbling something down on a sheet on his desk that he has to lift a pile of paperto get to! D: If he thinks im cheating and my results are withheld pending investigation im going to flip....who the hell needs to cheat for pass english like >.> Grrr....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

Eurgh I don't like this thread. We have such a dozy examiner though - as far as I know, nobody in my room has cheated, but I'm pretty sure they could if they wanted to.
    He (the examiner) also made terrible awkward jokes as the listening started "This CD player looks like it's from the 60's... *expectant pause*... the 1860's!" Cue the worst awkward silence ever. And it made it really hard to concentrate on reading the questions. Then he made a joke about a hammer, and God, I was fuming. :pac:
    Also, a boy beside me has really heavy breathing, I feel like punching him in his overly snotty nose *rant*

Right, had better learn some Francais.

Good luck! (And don't cheat :eek:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Healium wrote: »
    The last thing I wanted to read during my exams :mad:
    Oenone wrote: »
    Eurgh I don't like this thread.
    So don't read it! :)

You can't win, really; leave it open and some people will say "don't want to read that!", not to mention the possibility of trolls trying to wind people up; close it and we're part of some imaginary cover-up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

You can't win, really; leave it open and some people will say "don't want to read that!", not to mention the possibility of trolls trying to wind people up; close it and we're part of some imaginary cover-up!

Ah but I am a masochist. I must read such debilitating and crushing things during the mostimportantexamsevarrr.
    Well, as Ham would say, "The cat will mew, the dog will have its day..." :cool:

20081126173842%21Orly.jpg

ya_rly.jpg

no-wai001.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Did the LC a fair few years ago now and due to an NDE, was out of school from Christmas until my Irish Oral exam (I literally had no idea it was on, teacher came out to see did I want in). In all that time I did no mocks, did no work, as wasn't able for it.

I went back to school for the German oral the next week, and the one week after that or whatever it is between oral and exams, and that was all the schooling I got for the LC basically. History teacher refused to teach me honours and I said sure I'm fecked either way, I want to try for the better marks and she wouldn't read my essay til the last day and after the bell rang "you can't hand that up". I got more marks in the honours than I would've got in OL, and that really made my day.

Was also amazed to get an a2 in honours English, had no idea of any of the works, no quotes learned etc, just a good control of the language I guess (I assume that's what got me through history).

I didn't score terribly highly in the LC. I did do better than some that were there all the time. I did do not as good as some that were there all the time. But though I got 375 when my sister had got 570, I was damn proud of myself. And astounded at that a2!!!

I wasn't able to go to college that year with health so took a new job up for the year before leaving the next year, so I was left behind by all the mates who explored new lives. But am super glad I didn't cheat. The pride and joy I felt at reading that a2 was exhilirating, and though I didn't fail anything, I know I earnt the other results. Take pride in your work, even if you don't do well. Better than a hollow victory, and you can't cheat your way through life forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

It would be stupidly easy for any of us to study. The invigilator just sits there at the top of the room. Looking up every few mins to see if anyone has their hands up.
    It would be ESPECIALLY easy for me too as I'm sitting at the back of the room, in the row that she's at the top of. Impossible to see.

During out listening, the phone of the lad beside me rang. Seemed like it was mine so the invigilator started at me for a min while the lads laughed. The phone went off AGAIN, and the invigilator saw who it was, and laughed along with the rest of the lads. While the lad who's phone was ringing, took it out. Checked what it was ringing for. And put it back. Really didn't expect that kind of stuff to happen.

yarlynowgt128404385757057500.jpg

128874496505848355.jpg

Enough, terry! :p ... while I quite like ya_rly owl and the rest of them, and lord knows the forum could do with a smile or two these days, 'tis dragging the thread well OT at this stage! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

Oenone wrote: »
    Eurgh I don't like this thread. We have such a dozy examiner though - as far as I know, nobody in my room has cheated, but I'm pretty sure they could if they wanted to.
    He (the examiner) also made terrible awkward jokes as the listening started "This CD player looks like it's from the 60's... *expectant pause*... the 1860's!" Cue the worst awkward silence ever. And it made it really hard to concentrate on reading the questions. Then he made a joke about a hammer, and God, I was fuming. :pac:
    Also, a boy beside me has really heavy breathing, I feel like punching him in his overly snotty nose *rant*

Right, had better learn some Francais.

Good luck! (And don't cheat :eek:)

That's pretty funny... I would have laughed.

Enough, terry! :p ... while I quite like ya_rly owl and the rest of them, and lord knows the forum could do with a smile or two these days, 'tis dragging the thread well OT at this stage! ;)

Sry boss..was just trying to exactly what you mentioned! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

Framble wrote: »
    That's pretty funny... I would have laughed.

My guy didnt know how to use a CD player...He plugged it in and out, and flipped the switch on/off a few times, even put the CD upside down! Eventually he had to get a student to do it :pI think HE was from the 60's...the 1860's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

One persons phone rang in the exam hall, thats the only excitment we had, It was in his jacket pocket which was on the back of the chair though, so not cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Y'see, Randy, like you, I never have to do a Leaving Cert EVAR again :D

trollface.png

Feelsgoodmangreen.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement