Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Far too much nepotism in workplaces in Ireland

Irish women are far too picky about what they want in a partner and I think the media, crap tv shows/books/magazines they watch and read give them really shallow and unrealistic standards and expectations, reason why a lot stay single well into their 30's, like them f**king clowns on How I Met Your Mother and whatnot. Can't afford to keep being picky when you hit your late 20's and 30's. Time is ticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

zcorpian88 wrote: »

Irish women are far too picky about what they want in a partner and I think the media, crap tv shows/books/magazines they watch and read give them really shallow and unrealistic standards and expectations, reason why a lot stay single well into their 30's, like them f**king clowns on How I Met Your Mother and whatnot. Can't afford to keep being picky when you hit your late 20's and 30's. Time is ticking.

"Gotta impregnate 'em all" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

But then some of those children's charities are more deserving than others, so why would people donate to charities for poor children when there are more derserving charities for terminally-ill children?
    And the homeless? Sure let them get jobs, look after themselves.

You see what happens when you start to rank charities?
    If you follow that train of thought all the way we'd only have one charity for whatever we decide is the most deserving cause.

Let people donate to whatever charity they want, the world's still a better place if some donkeys get rescued.

And how do you know people who donate to donkey sanctuaries don't donate to other charities?

I only donate to a donkey sanctuary, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Not under the Children and Family Relationships Act 2015 they didn't, nor has the Constitution changed to define "The Family" either, beyond as efb points out what qualifies as "The Family" once a couple are married.

Oh right I was led to believe that it was changed as a result of changing Article 41 .1 formerly "The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the Family is founded, and to protect it against attack."

I was also told during the last referendum on these boards that The family according to the courts is a married couple with or without children I was not told the case law in question.

I know "One family" wants the constitution changed:
    http://www.onefamily.ie/press-releases/news115/

I did find a good article that discusses the whole definition of the family but is 10 years old
    http://www.jsijournal.ie/html/Volume%205%20No.%201/5%5B1%5D_Martin_The%20Changing%20Face%20of%20Family%20Law%20in%20Ireland.pdf

Anyway apparently my view of what a family is now outdated/unpopular or whatever the word is! I believe the term for my view of what a family is the "nuclear family". It sounds like a (funny name to call it like they are waging war) but this is what wiki says https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_family
    By Wiki showing a picture of such a family from 1955 might imply that my views are unpopular/outdated!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭dollar_king

Cienciano wrote: »
    Thin Lizzy were shíte

perhaps but they were the beatles compared to the boomtown rats

• Advertisement

By Wiki showing a picture of such a family from 1955 might imply that my views are unpopular/outdated!

Ehh, I doubt it! Your views are neither unpopular nor outdated as the nuclear family is still an aspirational ideal for the vast majority of adults.

Tom Cruise is great. Edge of Tomorrow is made even better by the fact that he isn't this super soldier from the get go, like he is in other movies. Also how many other actors have so much respect and goodwill that directors only work on Mission Impossible movies if he says it's OK. Also with the MI films - it actually works in their favour that each one has a different director, because it makes each one look different too. MI:3 is still one of the better action movies out there.

He's one of those actors where you can almost forgive his bad aspects, because of how good he actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

People need to get over Father Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

People need to get over Father Ted.

A fitting quote will get you 50 likes, it's not going anywhere on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

I don't like muslims and their culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I am sceptical about almost every modern popular opinion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

A fool....but an honest fool

This really is an unpopular opinion :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

People on perpetual social welfare that have 2+ kids are engaging in a form of economic child abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

If they want to have children I suppose. Most Irish women I know of all ages have a partner and not a partner who ticks a load of perfect boxes. Just a guy they like.

I think it's your view that's the one informed by the media.

If they want to have children I suppose. Most Irish women I know of all ages have a partner and not a partner who ticks a load of perfect boxes. Just a guy they like.

I think it's your view that's the one informed by the media.

I'd like to meet the women you know then, anyone I come across, it's a mix match of standards and hoop jumping from picky women, "Do you have a degree, or a masters?" or "Did you go to Triners? (or some other wanker college in Dublin...) "Do you have a car?" "Have you a well paid spectacular job?" "Do you live in the right part of town?/The right street?" (In other words, can't go out with a guy from such and such a place because..etc)

"Did you go to the right secondary school?" "Do you go to the gym 5 times a week?" "Have you traveled here there and everywhere through your 20's?" (just so I can find you soooooo interesting because you've been somewhere)

Lot of shallow narrow minded bullshyte.

They sound awful. Go to different bars maybe. Rock, trad, old man, funk bars seem to have nicer people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I want a United Ireland in both NATO and the Commonwealth. Neutrality has always been BS and a sop to those who supported Hitler in the war and soft soap IS now.

I'd like to meet the women you know then, anyone I come across, it's a mix match of standards and hoop jumping from picky women, "Do you have a degree, or a masters?" or "Did you go to Triners? (or some other wanker college in Dublin...) "Do you have a car?" "Have you a well paid spectacular job?" "Do you live in the right part of town?/The right street?" (In other words, can't go out with a guy from such and such a place because..etc)

"Did you go to the right secondary school?" "Do you go to the gym 5 times a week?" "Have you traveled here there and everywhere through your 20's?" (just so I can find soooooo interesting because you've been somewhere)

Lot of shallow narrow minded bullshyte.

"Women's standards are too high" is hardly an unpopular opinion though?

There's plenty of women don't care about those sort of things, but they'd be the sort of women that complain about men who have standards that they don't meet.

I'm sure you have your own standards too?

You do, right? :p

They sound awful. Go to different bars maybe. Rock, trad, old man, funk bars seem to have nicer people.

Sick of the bar scene I must say, might get the shift at my luckiest if I got lucky and found someone cool without all the standards, then exchange numbers, followed by a text the next day saying "Oh I'm not looking for anything with anyone right now"

Sssssake!....story of my life ha

"Women's standards are too high" is hardly an unpopular opinion though?

There's plenty of women don't care about those sort of things, but they'd be the sort of women that complain about men who have standards that they don't meet.

I'm sure you have your own standards too?

You do, right? :p

I like to think my standards are pretty moderate, all I want from a girl is for them to be there, not a workaholic, to be stylish and likes to shop, hates sport, good with children and likes the idea of family, doesn't have to be gorgeous, I prefer cute in comparison to being gorgeous and is social and outgoing and knows how to switch off. Is that a high standard, I think that is normal.

• Advertisement

moneymad wrote: »
    I don't like muslims and their culture.

Have you ever actually met a Muslim in person? I've only ever met absolutely lovely ones. Given the current environment towards them as of late, that seems to be a more unpopular opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

I like to think my standards are pretty moderate, all I want from a girl is for them to be there, not a workaholic, to be stylish and likes to shop, hates sport, good with children and likes the idea of family, doesn't have to be gorgeous, I prefer cute in comparison to being gorgeous and is social and outgoing and knows how to switch off. Is that a high standard, I think that is normal.

I wouldn't say that 'hate' as a prerequisite is normal.

Ahh, standards too high altogether! :p

Basically, point I'm making is that nobody should lower their standards, or should have to lower their standards. Those women have standards, you have standards, and lowering your standards wouldn't make you happy,and you wouldn't lower your standards to make someone else happy, so why would you expect that anyone else should have to lower their standards to make you happy?

I don't know how popular or unpopular that opinion is though, that nobody should lower their standards, but most people seem happy with their choices so I'm going to assume for now it's a popular opinion, maybe not such a bad thing :)

Jan Laco wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that 'hate' as a prerequisite is normal.

Well doesn't like sport then, sporty women don't do it for me, the gym is ok but I don't like football and most sport in general for that matter, couldn't stand if I had to watch Sky Sports all day with my girlfriend, that is my idea of hell.

"likes to shop" and "hates sport" are strange preferences I gotta say. :) those are what guys tend to give out about (jokingly) when it comes to women.
    Shouldn't be hard to find too.

A woman doesn't have to hate or even dislike sport to be non sports mad too. I mean, I'm not into sport at all but I don't hate or dislike it - just indifferent to it. Very few women are really into sport like watching loads of football.

"likes to shop" and "hates sport" are strange preferences I gotta say. :) those are what guys tend to give out about (jokingly) when it comes to women.
    Shouldn't be hard to find too.

A woman doesn't have to hate or even dislike sport to be non sports mad too. I mean, I'm not into sport at all but I don't hate or dislike it - just indifferent to it. Very few women are really into sport like watching loads of football.

Yeah well I don't mind a girl that likes to have a sense of style and isn't afraid of looking nice and dressing well. I like a girly girl, so to speak. Last girl I dated didn't have that and slopped around in a tracksuit all the time which just isn't very flattering, she was sort of a tomboy and into football, Chelsea supporter, wore all the gear, she was a little bit too chavy for my liking, last time I hung out with her she tried to teach her 2 year old nephew to say "Bastard"....I jumped ship fairly quick after that!

Teaching a kid to swear just goes against me big time!

Yeah well I don't mind a girl that likes to have a sense of style and isn't afraid of looking nice and dressing well. I like a girly girl, so to speak. Last girl I dated didn't have that and slopped around in a tracksuit all the time which just isn't very flattering, she was sort of a tomboy and into football, Chelsea supporter, wore all the gear, she was a little bit too chavy for my liking, last time I hung out with her she tried to teach her 2 year old nephew to say "Bastard"....I jumped ship fairly quick after that!

Teaching a kid to swear just goes against me big time!

And just like you wouldn't lower yourself to her standards, you can hardly expect people to take you seriously when you complain about women who wouldn't lower their standards to suit you?

The onus is surely on you to make an effort to come up to their standards, not on them to come down to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Username32

1. Morons who seek validation on journal.ie by commenting on red thumbs etc. Or morons who deliberately post banal but obviously worthy comments on thejournal to get green thumbs. The idea of red greed thumbs particularly annoys me tbh. Are people that insecure.

2. There is a herd mentality/groupthink among the facebook generation that is frightening.

And just like you wouldn't lower yourself to her standards, you can hardly expect people to take you seriously when you complain about women who wouldn't lower their standards to suit you?

The onus is surely on you to make an effort to come up to their standards, not on them to come down to yours.

But not to blow my own trumpet but I don't believe my standards are too much to handle, I think they are right in the middle, I'm a more traditional guy, what I'm after is simple enough, a typical girl, stylish, outgoing, (bubbly even) not rough around the edges where they are a bad influence to vulnerable people (children) and not shallow and not incredibly materialistic and not worried about what other people say and think, and seek to have companionship without the complications.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Username32 wrote: »
    1. Morons who seek validation on journal.ie by commenting on red thumbs etc. Or morons who deliberately post banal but obviously worthy comments on thejournal to get green thumbs. The idea of red greed thumbs particularly annoys me tbh. Are people that insecure.

2. There is a herd mentality/groupthink among the facebook generation that is frightening.

There's nothing like that on this website.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement