Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Freddie Dodge

Fcuk him, as someone else said, he only wants to be Irish when it suits him.

How would the bleeding hearts feel about an Irish American IRA bomber ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Poor young man? He was in a foreign country supporting Al Qaeda linked extremists.

I am sure you can prove this right? Actually, I know you can't, as what your saying is complete fiction.

Last I checked Al Qaeda actually hate the Muslim Brotherhood for taking part in elections. The Muslim Brotherhood, for there many, many faults, were the democratically elected government. Its amazing to see so many on here rewrite history to ignore inconvenient facts like that.

BTW, it was the military junta murdering people in the street (they are responsible for making things violent, once they started shooting people in the streets), and there is 0 evidence that the young lad engaged in any violence at all btw. The Junta's Kangaroo's courts finding people guilty is proof of nothing.

Also, the Junta has also started to arrest secularists as well, btw.
    His father seems a highly questionable character to boot.

What his father is or isn't is surely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I couldn't give a wet, thundery fart about those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Merkin wrote: »
    A typically well thought out and well researched article from the Indo I see.:rolleyes: He and his sisters went over to take part in violent demonstrations and marches which has been conveniently omitted from the story. But hey, since when had the truth ever gotten in the way of a good story?

Demonstrations against a military junta which forcefully seized control from the democratically elected government and killed a bunch of their supporters.

I'm in favour of revolution as everyone knows, and when Morsi was initially ousted I reckoned it was a good thing as he was the subject of mass protests and widespread public dissatisfaction. Would have remained ok if they had called immediate elections and allowed the existing government to run in them, thereby proving if a majority really did want them in power or not.

Instead, they violently assaulted protesters who favoured the ousted government and effectively made the party an unofficially banned organisation. This is disgustingly undemocratic and they should be given absolutely no support whatsoever.

I honestly don't understand why so many people are pro junta and anti protester when it comes to Egypt. What happened there a year ago started out as potentially democratic and then became profoundly anti-democratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,734 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

jimgoose wrote: »
    I couldn't give a wet, thundery fart about those people.

Irish people?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

nokia69 wrote: »
    do you mean the military govenment, yeah they could be called monsters but as bad as they are the islamists are far worse

The Islamists were elected by the people, the military were not. The Islamists became deeply unpopular so the argument that they should rightfully have been removed and new elections called is a fair argument and one I would subscribe to, but to go after supporters of it as criminals pretty much proves that democracy has nothing to do with this junta's agenda.

Irish people?

Those particular Irish people, if you like. Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,734 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

jimgoose wrote: »
    Those particular Irish people, if you like. Yes.

Ah ok Muslims

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ah ok Muslims

Those particular Irish Muslim people, if you like. Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    It's a disgrace Joe

****obligatory post about how raging I am that this thread is only X pages long, if they were white it would be X+100 pages long****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Wossack

reckon a boycott on tourism is the way to go alright (lol)

I'll start

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The old sweep it under the carpet strategy. It's worked so well for successive governments in this country that it's become the bed rock of any political party's policy.

"A Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman said it was providing "consular assistance" to the Halawa family in both Dublin and Cairo and was continuing to monitor the situation in Egypt."

So what exactly do you expect them to do?
    Get the Irish Army involved and carry out a jail-break or something ?
    It's all very well to rant and rave, but the Irish embassy out there does not run the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They flew over and looked for trouble. No sympathy for them.

That's what Irish people once said about guys going off and fighting in WWI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Fcuk him, as someone else said, he only wants to be Irish when it suits him.

How would the bleeding hearts feel about an Irish American IRA bomber ?

WTF

How would you feel about a 17 year old from the Falls road rioting and being sentenced to death?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

OP, no doubt you've also been calling for a tourism boycott for the way the Copts have always been treated in Egypt, which is worse now than it's ever been and of course, woefully underreported.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If you can't rely on your own country when the **** hits the fan it's a poor look out.

Its his country now is it? Then why was he protesting in some other country? Would have been interesting to ask him a year ago which country was his.
    D1stant wrote: »
    How would you feel about a 17 year old from the Falls road rioting and being sentenced to death?

Excellent idea that would stop the recreational rioting that is so common there in an instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Degringola wrote: »
    OP, no doubt you've also been calling for a tourism boycott for the way the Copts have always been treated in Egypt, which is worse now than it's ever been and of course, woefully underreported.

Why would the op do that? Is the government running that aswell?

Why does it matter who is 'running it'? Mistreatment of Copts is widespread and even worse since the Arab Spring.

Why does it matter who is 'running it'? Mistreatment of Copts is widespread and even worse since the Arab Spring.

It matters becuase the op was sugesting a way to lean on the policy makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Travelling to another country to incite unrest, yea they can keep him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

A whole load of revisionism here or just plain ignorance.
    the muslim brotherhood were elected by the people - they were the biggest party.
    the west influenced the opposition (who by the way all hate each other and were only united by their hatred of the Brotherhood) to protest and then encouraged the army to seize power.
    Thus over throwing the elected government.

I was watching american news at the time of this and it was sickening the stuff commentators came out with - Egypt was too immature post mubarak to have proper democracy etc...
    essentially "sorry old chaps you picked the wrong people at the polls"

That is a fcuking crime. If it happened in Burma or somewhere hip Bono would be crying tears all over the media about it and Enda or Gilmore would be mumbling on RTE that it was disgrace and something about "...in the strongest terms...blah blah"

now to the guy. I don't know why he was protesting - I assume he was there visiting family. But he is an irish citizen so needs support of irish State to ensure he is treated fairly.
    Given this country has sentenced 500plus people to death in one swoop I'd say he needs plenty of help.

Now we could set a precedent on this and deny our help - that's fine too but don't be complaining when somebody more "genuine" or less muslim is under the cosh in another country.

As an irish citizen he deserves the support of our government to ensure he is treated fairly - although how fair are trai

nokia69 wrote: »
    but he was making a show of support for the muslim brotherhood

thats far worse than importing drugs

he only wants to be irish when it suits him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxor_massacre

thats the type of thing islamists get up to in egypt

jaysus. my eyes bleed.

The point I was trying to make, Noblong, and obviously didn't make very well, is that there have been many injustices in Egypt towards the Copts over the years and nobody seems to care, but the minute an Irish teenager is arrested we're supposed to be up in arms about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

hopefully they will be brought home sometime, i couldn't care why they were over there

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

WTF

he wouldn't feel anything, he'd just bitch about the mythical bleeding hearts brigade/PC brigade or some other non existant organization

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

WTF

Me personally? I'd be enraged.

However, this thread is about a well off young man who left a safe democratic country which has given himself and his family refuge/a living, and going to a civil war torn country and becoming involved in the hostilities.
    Now, he or his apologists are whining about how he is an "Irish teenager"

Furthermore, he was demonstrating/fighting on the side of an organisation who have murdered many many innocents in the name of their cause, which is, just to be clear about it, to enforce sharia law on a formerly peaceful country.
    Should he and his brethern succeed in Egypt, where do you think he and his family will be campaining to be made a sharia law state at some time in the future? Hint: hes an "Irish" citizen.

I've visited Egypt several times, seen how tenuously the non muslim population cling to their liberty and lives, and I dont have much sympathy for this guy and his family.

As I said; fcuk em.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

Merkin wrote: »
    He and his sisters went over to take part in violent demonstrations and marches which has been conveniently omitted from the story. But hey, since when had the truth ever gotten in the way of a good story?
    He flew over there to take part in the Muslim Brotherhoods "Day of Rage" which led to over 170 deaths including beheadings.
    Poor young man? He was in a foreign country supporting Al Qaeda linked extremists. His father seems a highly questionable character to boot.
    Lone Stone wrote: »
    Travelling to another country to incite unrest, yea they can keep him.

Any links to substantiate these opinions?

The point I was trying to make, Noblong, and obviously didn't make very well, is that there have been many injustices in Egypt towards the Copts over the years and nobody seems to care, but the minute an Irish teenager is arrested we're supposed to be up in arms about it?

I don't know what op wanted from ''us''. Should be on to their TD.

But I'd fully expect our government to push forward with the humanitarian line of ''be carefull with our citizens''. And that would especially incude minoritys like Coptics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Furthermore, he was demonstrating/fighting on the side of an organisation who have murdered many many innocents in the name of their cause, which is, just to be clear about it, to enforce sharia law on a formerly peaceful country.

It was the Junta doing the murdering, and then people responded in kind after protesters were murdered in the street. The Junta caused the escalation. BTW, he was there on Holiday, when everything started to happen.

As for Sharia law, erm they already had that under the previous military regime, and I have seen nothing said about that being changed........

As for the country being peaceful, you will find it was the Junta who kicked off all the pointless violence, when they started killing protesters in the street. All of that very well documented in the media.
    Should he and his brethern succeed in Egypt, where do you think he and his family will be campaining to be made a sharia law state at some time in the future? Hint: hes an "Irish" citizen.

So your against, them due to something they may do in the future..... Thats some nonsense right there. So either you have crystal ball or can read his mind, apparently.

he wouldn't feel anything, he'd just bitch about the mythical bleeding hearts brigade/PC brigade or some other non existant organization

Quote me where I've used any of the above expressions or else STFU.

• Advertisement

hopefully they will be brought home sometime, i couldn't care why they were over there

I say we send Alan Shatter out there on the next available banana-boat, there to seek audience with the head-buck-kid of the military junta and give him a swift hoof to the trostkys. That'll furkan learn 'em.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement