Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAME in serious trouble

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

its not really, if you want ot live outside of urban centres you can't complain overmuch when you are denied the benefits of living in an urban centre. it's a trade off people living in rural areas decided to make.

That's certainly true, & I see it that way too. But from a commercial point of view, your only making it harder/less likely for people in those areas to buy your game if you go online only.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

EnterNow wrote: »
    Quite a few mates of mine don't. And it's 2012. How sad is that.

Very sad indeed! My cousin lives 20 miles outside Dublin and he cant get BB because they still haven't upgraded the lines or something along that. 10 houses all without it on a 1km stretch of road.

Your right in a sense, if games are going to become more online orientated they need to look at the BB infrastructure first.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

its not really, if you want ot live outside of urban centres you can't complain overmuch when you are denied the benefits of living in an urban centre. it's a trade off people living in rural areas decided to make.

I live literally 15 minutes walk outside the county of Dublin and can't get decent broadband.

The people across the road can.

It's not a simple case of where you live, there's no impetus it seems for BB companies to actually become better (we've been pestering various companies for years to sort it out).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

That GAME store on Dawson St. is empty every time i go in. Always seems like a strange place to have a game store and it's like it's on the wrong side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Yakult wrote: »
    Very sad indeed! My cousin lives 20 miles outside Dublin and he cant get BB because they still haven't upgraded the lines or something along that. 10 houses all without it on a 1km stretch of road.

:pac: That's crazy! .....and seriously backward in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

It's not 2001. Most people now have 8/20mb (if not more) outside of Dublin and that's plenty.

Not likely, me and most people I know have 1-3mb broadband with download caps of 15-30gb.

Eircom haven't been up my road since they installed the copper cable.

Is there an official statements from GAME about how the company's doing?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's not 2001. Most people now have 8/20mb (if not more) outside of Dublin and that's plenty.

Some of my friends can barely manage 1mb in the countryside. It really does suck in some places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Sesudra wrote: »
    This is the big concern for me - does this mean that Ireland will get left behind if things do go all digital? So only people in the urban centres will have access to fast enough broadband, and tough luck to everyone else? I'm living in Dublin at the moment so it wouldn't be an issue but am planning a move down the country, I wouldn't fancy my chances of being able to download the latest game.

And that's why you'll always be able to buy a game on a format like a disk in a shop. I think we're a lot further away from download only than people think.
    It'll mean far less sales for one. I'm sure it'll be an option on next gen consoles, but there'll always be way to buy a game in a shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

EnterNow wrote: »
    It's amazing the people who are singing the praises on online distribution only...I take it you all live in Dublin yeah?

Spend some time down the shticks, enjoying Ireland's broadband infrastructure outside of the capital...& come back and let us know if you've changed your mind.

Actually no. I live in an area with no access to landline broadband. Eircom have no plans to upgrade my local exchange and will provide no reason for this. They effectively control the size of the broadband market. I get broadband via a small dish on my roof. It's expensive and prone to interruption but I can get good speed. i think he next big change will come when Sky introduce their broadband services. If people can get their tv and broadband through their satellite provider Eircom will likely take a big hit, especially when you look at the proposed scale of Sky on demand services. The introduction of Sky Broadband will hopefully give Eircom the kick up the arse they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

MagicSean wrote: »
    Actually no. I live in an area with no access to landline broadband. Eircom have no plans to upgrade my local exchange and will provide no reason for this. They effectively control the size of the broadband market. I get broadband via a small dish on my roof. It's expensive and prone to interruption but I can get good speed. i think he next big change will come when Sky introduce their broadband services. If people can get their tv and broadband through their satellite provider Eircom will likely take a big hit, especially when you look at the proposed scale of Sky on demand services. The introduction of Sky Broadband will hopefully give Eircom the kick up the arse they need.
    The thing is Sky Broadband is still crap in the UK if you are using Satellite, most Sky Broadband is through DSL in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I wonder if Game will have a huge closing down sale ????????
    I guy can hope :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Apparently there's an awesome(debatedly) pre owned sale in there right now :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Will yer man in Korea with the 1000000000000GB/s broadband connection stop derailing the thread with stories of how brick and mortar stores are on the way out because he has an amazing broadband connection before I call up Kim Jong Un and have him lob a nuke your way ;) This thread is about GAME shutting down cause they're an overpriced bunch of cnuts.

I wonder if I walked into a GAME and asked the staff when they've been given notice for would they tell me so we can have a good idea of when to pounce on the place to get cheap stuff :D I would feel bad for them, but in my personal experience most of the staff couldnt give a ****e about the customer, nor do they even play games, so I find it hard to get all chocked up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Andy!! wrote: »
    Will yer man in Korea with the 1000000000000GB/s broadband connection stop derailing the thread with stories of how brick and mortar stores are on the way out because he has an amazing broadband connection before I call up Kim Jong Un and have him lob a nuke your way ;) This thread is about GAME shutting down cause they're an overpriced bunch of cnuts.
    Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vadakin

Andy!! wrote: »
    ...nor do they even play games, so I find it hard to get all chocked up about it.

I picked up PES 2012 just before Christmas in GAME (already had FIFA, decided to try them both this time around) and the person ahead of me in the queue was asking the staff member about Deus Ex. The staff member was like "Oh it's a first person shooter, like Modern Warfare" and the guy seemed to be getting disinterested. So in I stepped to save the day and make the sale for the store and I ask the guy if he's ever played Fallout 3. He says yeah, that it's one he really liked, and so I spent the next 5 minutes explaining that Deus Ex wasn't just an FPS. It was a First Person RPG, with shooting and stealth and diplomacy and while Fallout and Deus Ex aren't exactly the same, it was the closest comparison I could make. By the time I was done, the guy was ready to buy the game and I'd pretty much given the staff member an education on knowing what he's selling.

Thinking back, it occurs to me that I should have asked for a job then and there. Dammit. :mad:
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I live literally 15 minutes walk outside the county of Dublin and can't get decent broadband.
    Could they not get a 3G mobile connection? Vodafone will do a 24mb one now.

It's madness to think I can get BB in my little town in the west of Ireland and they don't have it all over Dublin yet and it's undoubtedly got a higher density of people.

They could do, but the problem is that they have awful download limits

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

"TrueAchievements
    We're hearing GAME may be holding a firesale on pre-owned games. Get down to your store and check stock if you can UK TAers."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

mcgovern wrote: »
    "TrueAchievements
    We're hearing GAME may be holding a firesale on pre-owned games. Get down to your store and check stock if you can UK TAers."
    Here's the selection on offer so far.

Vadakin wrote: »
    I picked up PES 2012 just before Christmas in GAME (already had FIFA, decided to try them both this time around) and the person ahead of me in the queue was asking the staff member about Deus Ex. The staff member was like "Oh it's a first person shooter, like Modern Warfare" and the guy seemed to be getting disinterested. So in I stepped to save the day and make the sale for the store and I ask the guy if he's ever played Fallout 3. He says yeah, that it's one he really liked, and so I spent the next 5 minutes explaining that Deus Ex wasn't just an FPS. It was a First Person RPG, with shooting and stealth and diplomacy and while Fallout and Deus Ex aren't exactly the same, it was the closest comparison I could make. By the time I was done, the guy was ready to buy the game and I'd pretty much given the staff member an education on knowing what he's selling.

Thinking back, it occurs to me that I should have asked for a job then and there. Dammit. :mad:
    :p
    I dont think i would call it a FPS RPG either tbh, Deus Ex, is one of those ones thats kinda has bits in several genres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

ScumLord wrote: »
    Could they not get a 3G mobile connection? Vodafone will do a 24mb one now.

It's madness to think I can get BB in my little town in the west of Ireland and they don't have it all over Dublin yet and it's undoubtedly got a higher density of people.

Try using that up in Donegal see what you get speed wise. Also, even when you manage to get a semi decent download speed on mobile broadband, the latency and upload speed are pretty poor, meaning that you can download at a mediocre speed, but not play online. And I don't think 3G connections are able to get anything like 24MB, that's 4G kinda stuff, and AFAIK, we don't have any 4G networks here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Try using that up in Donegal see what you get speed wise. Also, even when you manage to get a semi decent download speed on mobile broadband, the latency and upload speed are pretty poor, meaning that you can download at a mediocre speed, but not play online. And I don't think 3G connections are able to get anything like 24MB, that's 4G kinda stuff, and AFAIK, we don't have any 4G networks here yet.
    They sent me one and I tested it against my 8mb landline connection and the results where identical.

While it's no good in Donegal it should work flawlessly around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vadakin

Meesared wrote: »
    I dont think i would call it a FPS RPG either tbh, Deus Ex, is one of those ones thats kinda has bits in several genres

That's what I spent 5 minutes explaining since the guy at GAME seemed to think it was basically just Call of Duty: Future Warfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Anyone been down to a GAME to see what the deal is on this supposed 'firesale' yet? I'll be in town tomorrow so I'll definitely be checking out the Jervis outlet...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Anyone been down to a GAME to see what the deal is on this supposed 'firesale' yet? I'll be in town tomorrow so I'll definitely be checking out the Jervis outlet...

Not sure about here but in the UK, today was 360, tomorrow PS3 and Friday Hardware from what I've heard. No idea if they're doing it in Ireland though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm in the north on saturday, might see what I can pick up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If you see a deal for hardware and decide to buy it use a credit card, when Game is gone you'll have a chance to get you money back if it goes bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Saruwatari wrote: »

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I can promise you that there is no super-amazing sale going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Always remember queuing up in the limerick store years ago and over hearing the manager telling one of the employee's that it was not ok to take the game home on a wednesday before release for free, play it, finish it, bring it back in the friday and sell it as new. when i heard the guy say they all do it, i returned the game to the shelf and went to smyths(no gamestop back then, this a while ago). More of an employee thing but it was the last straw for me. I was already pissed at the amount of times i picked up a game on the shelf queued for 10 mins to be told its out of stock and the box shouldn't be out there.

I have bad news for you. Friends of mine have worked for all those chains, and I can tell you for a fact that this was universally common practice in Smyths, whereas it's a firing offence in the other chains.

Not alone that, Smyths "strip" almost all their stock, put the real box on the shelf and then shrinkwrap the disc to the manual, inevitably scuffing some discs. Neither Game or Gamestop do that. Unlike Smyths, where the box on the shop shelf is the box you'll get your game in, Game and Gamestop use "dummy" boxes to represent the title for display with a few token real boxes, so that they can keep as much of their stock sealed as mint as possible. That is why they can lose track of what games displayed on the floor are out of stock.

I can honestly say it doesn't bother me at all, but just so you're not under any illusions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I have bad news for you. Friends of mine have worked for all those chains, and I can tell you for a fact that this was universally common practice in Smyths, whereas it's a firing offence in the other chains.

Not alone that, Smyths "strip" almost all their stock, put the real box on the shelf and then shrinkwrap the disc to the manual, inevitably scuffing discs. Neither Game or Gamestop do that. Unlike Smyths, where the box on the shop shelf is the box you'll get your game in, they use "dummy" boxes to represent the title, so that they can keep as much of their stock sealed as mint as possible. That is why they can lose track of what games displayed on the floor are out of stock.

Passionately hate this, and have never returned since.

Dropping 45+ should unconditionally guarantee you an untainted fresh copy (although this happened in Smyth's last week when I bought the MGS collection).

Advertisement