Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

When you work in retail you see these people everyday. I work in a shop were everything is 1.50. some woman came up and bought 4 things so 6euro. She then demanded that I was overcharging her and put an item back. Then she decided that it was too expensive and left the shop. Seriously annoying, especially when it happens on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

I've worked in the cosmetic industry for many years and have seen some stingy things,one of my best is in a very well known department store,a very well known 'lady' (before recession) used to buy her moisturiser €60 plus,and after 3 weeks came in to return it saying it had gone off,sure enough it smelled not right. After third time ,got it tested as it was very strange,she was emptying contents,and replacing with an unknown brand,pure stinge,as I worked all over her name was sent around the big cosmetic houses and she was doing it everywhere!!!! Not anymore though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

snowbabe wrote: »
    I've worked in the cosmetic industry for many years and have seen some stingy things,one of my best is in a very well known department store,a very well known 'lady' (before recession) used to buy her moisturiser €60 plus,and after 3 weeks came in to return it saying it had gone off,sure enough it smelled not right. After third time ,got it tested as it was very strange,she was emptying contents,and replacing with an unknown brand,pure stinge,as I worked all over her name was sent around the big cosmetic houses and she was doing it everywhere!!!! Not anymore though :)

That's just lowly scumbag behaviour more than stinginess....I'd love to know who you're referring to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

I know this guy ( was it me?) who had a few book launches and bought the cheapest crappiest Tesco cheese slices and cheapest bread, cheapest Tesco ham slices and made up sangwiches for the launches. They looked nice but tasted crappy. He says, 'sure I wont be eating that muck, and no one will complain because its free. If they don't like it they won't eat much of it." Do you know something? they didn't eat much of them either. As I remember the lot came to less than a tenner.
    Hint; avoid grub at these book thingies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

the_monkey wrote: »
    Ah it's been awhile since i've visited this thread !!!!
    Well as some may know , my in laws are from a place that lets just say would make Cavanese people look like big spenders.
    So parents in law go on a holiday last summer for the 1st time in years.
    To save (as in pay NOTHING) they borrow their sons camper van* - fair enough, it's nice to camp.
    They drive to Switzerland and spend about a week there.
    Now you would think they would at least stay at a campsite to avail of all the facilities , but no wait !! that would cost some money !!!
    So they just park at the edge of some street and sleep there.
    But it's probably a nice camper van like a Winnebago ? - Nope, a converted hi-ace with on a shelf mattress ****ed in the back.

But with all this money saved surely a nice few restaurants would be visited ? - Nope brought/bought bread + sandwich making foods.

Unreal .

They are in their 60's ... and have a lot of savings - hmmm I wonder why ?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway, in fairness to them they are very generous when we visit - will put us up and family and feed us untill we are stuffed,
    but f*ck I wish they would treat themselves properly.

Your in-laws sound an awful lot like my in-laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Merkin,she's in the indo most weeks,looks much younger than she is !! Such an ignorant person,and actually thinks she's clever :) ohh and very attractive :) but then in henry street a long time ago,I had this little old lady who shopped every saturday and I knew her well from around town. She didnt have much money but was such a nice person,she used to bring in her old lipstick (coral coloured) totally used with flat top shape( girls know what i mean )and when she thought I wasnt looking she would swap the old one with a new one,!! But I knew she wasnt taking the piss,I turned a blind eye and put it down to "damages" , but by jesus she used every bit of that lipstick,was a bit sad really.she knew that I knew,and I knew that she knew I knew :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Merkin,she's in the indo most weeks,looks much younger than she is !! Such an ignorant person,and actually thinks she's clever :) ohh and very attractive :) but then in henry street a long time ago,I had this little old lady who shopped every saturday and I knew her well from around town. She didnt have much money but was such a nice person,she used to bring in her old lipstick (coral coloured) totally used with flat top shape( girls know what i mean )and when she thought I wasnt looking she would swap the old one with a new one,!! But I knew she wasnt taking the piss,I turned a blind eye and put it down to "damages" , but by jesus she used every bit of that lipstick,was a bit sad really.she knew that I knew,and I knew that she knew I knew :):)

Don't make us fork out for the indo. Spill the beans!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

Years back, my sisters Dutch boyfriend won £1000 on a scratch card. Next night he was in the local with me ma and da. He never bought a round! Me da couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

marozz wrote: »
    Years back, my sisters Dutch boyfriend won £1000 on a scratch card. Next night he was in the local with me ma and da. He never bought a round! Me da couldn't believe it.

He really was going Dutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

marozz wrote: »

How dare he not throw his winnings away on alcohol for other people!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

I wouldn't of let her away with that, just because she was old, she was still a thief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

is she in the fashion industry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

rawn wrote: »
    Ya because four drinks is going to cost €1,000. I'm assuming the Da bought at least one round and your man never got a round back, making it doubly stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I work for aldi and at Christmas I had people asking me if super 6 would go down in price further , it was 8c each at that stage . And when you told people they could only buy a max of 6 each they were getting all crappy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

I work with a Dutch guy who charges his phone at work ,everyday!
    Apparently it's expensive to charge!!!!!!!!!!
    If he was a ghost he wouldn't give you a fright!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

downwesht wrote: »
    I work with a Dutch guy who charges his phone at work ,everyday!
    Apparently it's expensive to charge!!!!!!!!!!
    If he was a ghost he wouldn't give you a fright!;)

Hmmm there seems to be a common factor emerging here, a Dutch guy I know never uses water out of the tap to fill the kettle, instead he keeps a big jug of water at room temperature. His reason which is hard to fault is that the tap water is colder than the water in the jug so it costs less to heat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I can't believe how many people thanked that. Christ, he won a grand and went out for beers with family the following night. How bad would it be to buy a couple of pints for (almost) family? I thought this was a thread to point out stingy people and their stingy ways, not a thread to announce our stingieness

I can't believe how many people thanked that. Christ, he won a grand and went out for beers with family the following night. How bad would it be to buy a couple of pints for (almost) family? I thought this was a thread to point out stingy people and their stingy ways, not a thread to announce our stingieness

Well if he'd only won the money on a scratcher the night before, odds are he hasn't cashed it yet, and/or they weren't buying rounds? If he won the money then dodged his round, he's well stingey. If everyone was buying their own drinks and he didn't buy in a round, I don't see the stinge, just someone not splashing money around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Well if he'd only won the money on a scratcher the night before, odds are he hasn't cashed it yet, and/or they weren't buying rounds? If he won the money then dodged his round, he's well stingey. If everyone was buying their own drinks and he didn't buy in a round, I don't see the stinge, just someone not splashing money around!

either way, winning 1000 euro and not spending less than 20 on a round of drinks for your girlfriend and her parents is stingy

It doesn't really matter if he had the 1,000 or not. It just seems rude to come into such a nice amount of money and not get in at least one drink. I know that I've been in the pub when someone scratched a card and won a bit of money and they've bought a drink for the 7 or 8 people in the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

It doesn't really matter if he had the 1,000 or not. It just seems rude to come into such a nice amount of money and not get in at least one drink. I know that I've been in the pub when someone scratched a card and won a bit of money and they've bought a drink for the 7 or 8 people in the pub.

So your another one who has a sense of entitlement if someone else has some good luck?

So your another one who has a sense of entitlement if someone else has some good luck?

No sense of entitlement at all. Just sharing an example of when someone won some money and shared his luck with others. If I was out with my girlfriends family then I would certainly buy her parents a drink or at the very least offer to, especially if I had just won 1,000 euro.

No sense of entitlement at all. Just sharing an example of when someone won some money and shared his luck with others. If I was out with my girlfriends family then I would certainly buy her parents a drink or at the very least offer to, especially if I had just won 1,000 euro.

Personally, I wouldn't squander my winnings on a round cos I know once I start dipping into it I'll never stop! The money would be straight in the bank to pay off debts or towards a holiday. Don't get me wrong, if I won a million euro it'd be shots o clock all round :P but just because I have a windfall am I obligated to buy people drinks lest I be labelled a stinge?

Personally, I wouldn't squander my winnings on a round cos I know once I start dipping into it I'll never stop! The money would be straight in the bank to pay off debts or towards a holiday. Don't get me wrong, if I won a million euro it'd be shots o clock all round :P but just because I have a windfall am I obligated to buy people drinks lest I be labelled a stinge?

I don't think buy 3 or 4 drinks means that you have to get into rounds. When I'm out with a few friends I'll often get a round in but we don't start doing rounds. If I was out with my girlfriends family I'd certainly get a drink for her parents, it's just common curtousy. I bet that the lad in question wouldn't say no to a pint if it was offered to him

I don't think buy 3 or 4 drinks means that you have to get into rounds. When I'm out with a few friends I'll often get a round in but we don't start doing rounds. If I was out with my girlfriends family I'd certainly get a drink for her parents, it's just common curtousy. I bet that the lad in question wouldn't say no to a pint if it was offered to him

Not many people say no when offered a pint :P It;s common courtesy to buy a round for the parents, it's common courtesy for them to buy you and the gf a round back, therefore, buying rounds back and forth for the night til someone goes up and just buys a drink for themselves and are labelled a stinge. There's no winning!

Don't do rounds kids. Not even once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I know a guy that "won" 500 on the horses one day in the pub. We told him to get the beers in (as is usual) and he refused saying he hadn't collected it yet. He is well known to be tight, but better known as a compulsive liar so we didn't mind we didn't believe him anyway. Still give him hassle about being stingy because he never did get those beers in and won't admit to spoofing

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

He had no problem taking rounds from everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Rabble rabble, rounds, rabble rabble.

I remember a time when I used to see this thread was updated, I'd click into it and the ten posts would be full of hearty stinge stories.

Two Americans I used to work with in Korea got our boss to reimburse them for a chopping board they bought for their, rent free, apartment because they wouldn't be taking it with them after they finished their contracts..... It was a 12 month contract.

I may have already told that story, I'm not sure. I just wanted to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Hmmm there seems to be a common factor emerging here, a Dutch guy I know never uses water out of the tap to fill the kettle, instead he keeps a big jug of water at room temperature. His reason which is hard to fault is that the tap water is colder than the water in the jug so it costs less to heat it.

Not to tight to spend money heating the gaff in winter then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

cloneslad wrote: »
    Rabble rabble, rounds, rabble rabble.

I remember a time when I used to see this thread was updated, I'd click into it and the ten posts would be full of hearty stinge stories.

Two Americans I used to work with in Korea got our boss to reimburse them for a chopping board they bought for their, rent free, apartment because they wouldn't be taking it with them after they finished their contracts..... It was a 12 month contract.

I may have already told that story, I'm not sure. I just wanted to move on.

Just when I was starting to get board with this thread. ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement