Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

The Irish Rugby team are the most boring team I have seen so far !

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aidan Holland

rodge68 wrote: »
    The Irish Rugby team are the most boring team I have seen so far !

I agree all Joe schmidt has done is copy the way south Africa played during the 07 world cup which they won by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭antonymin

I believe all charities should be banned. The people and animals that are supported by charities should be financed by the treasury.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

I agree all Joe schmidt has done is copy the way south Africa played during the 07 world cup which they won by the way

Unfortunately I cant see us winning it !!

Australia will win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

People who don't like any sport are odd, it's the equivalent of someone saying they don't enjoy even a single genre of music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't like any sport. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't like any sport. :)

Watersports, even?

jungleman wrote: »
    Watersports, even?

Or bedroom sports?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Thomas998

There isn't room in Europe for the swarms of migrants that want to come in, and people who say otherwise are simply making emotion-based arguments in favour of logic-based ones.

If you really care so much about migrants, then invite one to live with you. But stop complaining when people admit there's no room for them, and you can offer no feasible response, except to moan.

Germany isn't being altruistic by taking migrants in, this entire situation solves their issue of a senile population extremely neatly. For the rest of us, there's no benefit, and I for one admire Victor Orban for sticking to his guns and protecting his country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

antonymin wrote: »
    Or bedroom sports?:D

Maybe they're the same thing ;)

Thomas998 wrote: »
    There isn't room in Europe

At capacity is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When the history of music is written, people will look at Phil Collins as some kind of legend. I don't like everything he's done. but for years he was the hardest-working man in show-business. You might only have heard of him as the pop star front man of Genesis in the 1980s, but as a kid he starred on the London stage (as the Artful Dodger in Oliver!. He took up drumming, eventually becoming the "new boy" in Genesis. After Peter Gabriel left, none of the singers they auditioned were as good as their drummer, so Phil took over and led them to major chart success. (Not bad for a short chubby geezer with very little hair.)

In between all that, he worked on experimental rock with the likes of Brian Eno & Robert Fripp, started a jazz fusion band (Brand X), and started a solo career almost by accident. Remember Live Aid? He's the guy who played at both concerts, London & Philadelphia, getting between them by Concorde. Now he's retired, having basically sung, danced and drummed himself to bits - hearing loss, back problems, blown voice and more.

These days, you mention the band Genesis and people start quoting from the novel American Psycho, but if that's all you know about Phil Collins' work, well, that's just sloppy. Today's pampered pop idles could learn a thing or two about hard work from him. (His daughter Lily seems to have listened, a bit.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Nursery Cryme was a great album ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

God forbid :confused::confused:

Ghettos are a disaster, lumping a lot of people into one place has proven to be a bad idea again and again and again.

Ya thats happened in France. Bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

People who don't like any sport are odd, it's the equivalent of someone saying they don't enjoy even a single genre of music.

What about people that say that they hate animals, Somebody said that to me one time that they hated animals. I cant get my head around, it seems evil to me to hate animals. I cant understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

bnt wrote: »
    When the history of music is written, people will look at Phil Collins as some kind of legend. I don't like everything he's done. but for years he was the hardest-working man in show-business. You might only have heard of him as the pop star front man of Genesis in the 1980s, but as a kid he starred on the London stage (as the Artful Dodger in Oliver!. He took up drumming, eventually becoming the "new boy" in Genesis. After Peter Gabriel left, none of the singers they auditioned were as good as their drummer, so Phil took over and led them to major chart success. (Not bad for a short chubby geezer with very little hair.)

In between all that, he worked on experimental rock with the likes of Brian Eno & Robert Fripp, started a jazz fusion band (Brand X), and started a solo career almost by accident. Remember Live Aid? He's the guy who played at both concerts, London & Philadelphia, getting between them by Concorde. Now he's retired, having basically sung, danced and drummed himself to bits - hearing loss, back problems, blown voice and more.

These days, you mention the band Genesis and people start quoting from the novel American Psycho, but if that's all you know about Phil Collins' work, well, that's just sloppy. Today's pampered pop idles could learn a thing or two about hard work from him. (His daughter Lily seems to have listened, a bit.)

I was gonna quote a Pat Bateman line until I read the last paragraph :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

jungleman wrote: »
    I was gonna quote a Pat Bateman line until I read the last paragraph :(
    AH is so predictable, isn't it? :p

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Thomas998

I hope Jan O'Sullivan gets removed from Education asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Agreed. I love lots of Phil Collins/Genesis (post Peter Gabriel) songs.
    The American Psycho stuff just adds to it rather than undermine it in my opinion. The image of Christian Bale asking, in that cheesy manner, "D'you like Phil Collins?" makes Sussudio all the better I think. :)
    And I love the way he pronounces Genesis's 1980 album... "Dook". :D

I'll never like Huey Lewis or Whitney Houston though!

And I always think of Crockett and Tubbs driving around Miami late at night when I hear In The Air Tonight - slickly done (well I think of either that or the drumming gorilla).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭8mv

bnt wrote: »
    When the history of music is written, people will look at Phil Collins as some kind of legend. Today's pampered pop idles could learn a thing or two about hard work from him. (His daughter Lily seems to have listened, a bit.)

I was just thinking that PC and Genesis were due a re-evaluation. They made some unforgivably awful songs and videos during their MTV phase (Land of Confusion and Illegal Alien in particular), but there's no denying the quality of other periods. I'm a big fan of the albums from A Trick of the Tail up to and including Duke. For me, the Live Aid thing is not remembered fondly, but PC did some great production work with John Martyn and Philip Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Thomas998 wrote: »
    There isn't room in Europe for the swarms of migrants that want to come in, and people who say otherwise are simply making emotion-based arguments in favour of logic-based ones.

There's what 500m or so in Europe?
    You seriously think say another 2 million would make a blind bit of difference? That a 0.4% increase would somehow be a disaster? Is that really what you believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

You seriously think say another 2 million would make a blind bit of difference? That a 0.4% increase would somehow be a disaster? Is that really what you believe?

But the swaaaaaaaaaarrrms!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

But...but...but they're young men wearing designer watches and clothes,surely they'll take up more room and then blow us all to pieces won't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Kev W wrote: »

And they're browwwwwwwwwn!!1111!11!!11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And they're browwwwwwwwwn!!1111!11!!11

They vawnt to suck your blood!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Martial9

700 million. 500 million in the EU.

It is two million plus people a year who will require housing, a lot of medical care, language classes, education and welfare until they get on their feet. As, contrary to media lies, these people are not all engineers and doctors. This will be of great expense.
    The qualification structure of immigrants from the crisis-afflicted states of Syria, Iraq, Nigeria and Afghanistan is probably poor. According to data from the World Bank, the illiteracy rate even among the 14-24 year old age group is 4 percent, 18 percent, 34 percent and 53 percent in these countries respectively. Even in the most developed of these countries (Syria) only 6 percent of the population has a university degree, which is not equivalent to a German diploma in many cases. Although refugees tend to be male and younger than the demographic average age, one thing is still clear: they are poorly prepared for the German labour market. In addition to language courses, Germany will also need to invest in training, which will generate extra costs

http://trueeconomics.blogspot.ie/2015/09/22915-germanys-ifo-refugees-to-cost-ten.html

It will cost Germany alone ten billion euro per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Martial9

Kev W wrote: »

The president of the European Council called the current situation 'hybrid warfare'. Make no mistake, this will soon be labelled for what it is - an invasion.
    An influx of hundreds of thousands of people is a "weapon" and a "political bargaining chip" used by the EU's neighbours who want to harm the continent, Donald Tusk said.

He made the comments as the European Union announced it would give an extra €1bn in aid and dangled the offer of visa-free travel in an effort to force Turkey to close its borders.

Sources said his remarks were not aimed specifically at Turkey, but he was thinking of leaders across the region, including the late Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi, who threatened to turn Europe "black" unless it handed over billions in aid.

Mr Tusk also appeared to ridicule German Chancellor Angela Merkel's decision to grant asylum to hundreds of thousands of Syrians without conditions.

It was a "beautiful moral gesture", but she now faces an "exam in responsibility for the protection of the European political community and its external borders", he said.

There is mounting frustration in Brussels at President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's refusal to seal Turkey's coasts and border with Greece.

Police have stopped just one in seven of the 350,000 people who have crossed since January on a major transit route for those fleeing Syria for the EU.

Mr Tusk, the president of the European Council, told MEPs that "many of our neighbours look with satisfaction at our troubles", and were prepared to extract favours to halt the flow.

"For us, refugees are specific people, individuals, who expect our help. There are forces around us, however, for whom the wave of refugees is just dirty business or a political bargaining chip.

"We are slowly becoming witnesses to the birth of a new form of political pressure, and some even call it a kind of a new hybrid war, in which migratory waves have become a tool, a weapon against neighbours.

"This requires sensitivity and responsibility on our side."

Under a deal struck in Brussels, the EU said it would "step up" the resettlement of refugees from Turkey and help to reinforce the Turkish coast guard to stop the flow of boats to Greece.

It has been suggested that as many as half a million people could be moved from Turkey, but the document does not specify numbers.

Turkey says it has spent more than €6.5bn on providing support to Syrian refugees and has demanded more help.

However, the deal also makes it clear that Turkey's long-term goal of visa-free travel for 75 million people to Europe depends on it fixing its border. It also hints that refusal would put at risk talks for the country to win full EU membership.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/neighbours-using-migrants-as-weapons-eu-chief-tusk-31589694.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Martial9 wrote: »
    The president of the European Council called the current situation 'hybrid warfare'. Make no mistake, this will soon be labelled for what it is - an invasion.

It's already being called that - just not by anyone worth listening to.

Funny how politicians seem so trustworthy when they say stuff you agree with, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

8mv wrote: »
    I was just thinking that PC and Genesis were due a re-evaluation. They made some unforgivably awful songs and videos during their MTV phase (Land of Confusion and Illegal Alien in particular), but there's no denying the quality of other periods. I'm a big fan of the albums from A Trick of the Tail up to and including Duke. For me, the Live Aid thing is not remembered fondly, but PC did some great production work with John Martyn and Philip Bailey.
    Can't agree with you on Land Of Confusion - quality song in my opinion!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement