Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

drop box or emodo

Options
  • 16-10-2014 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking about storing my notes in digital form on one of drop box or emodo. Most notes currently on overhead so want to back them up li!e this.Also handy for students that are sick etc
    Anyone use either ?
    I've held off for this long as I don't want students getting access to all my notes and then switching off in class. Or sending them to other schools....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I would say edmodo or moodle. Dropbox is open to abuse and child protection issues

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

TheDriver wrote: »
    I would say edmodo or moodle. Dropbox is open to abuse and child protection issues

How so ? A LOT of teachers in our place use it

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

I wouldn't use Dropbox. Your files could be deleted or edited by mistake, it would take up a lot of your storage space and you would have no moderation.

I love Edmodo and there is much more you can do than just share files. However, this year I have changed to Google Classroom and find it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Edmodo and Classroom are designed for use in schools and will get around any child protection clauses in school policies. You decide what to share and they're copies, so your originals won't get changed. You can even set them to 'view only' if you just want.

Classroom syncs perfectly with Google Drive, so if you use it for storage and document creation, it's a no-brainer.

Edmodo and Classroom are designed for use in schools and will get around any child protection clauses in school policies. You decide what to share and they're copies, so your originals won't get changed. You can even set them to 'view only' if you just want.

Classroom syncs perfectly with Google Drive, so if you use it for storage and document creation, it's a no-brainer.

think I'll look at google classrooms so

• Advertisement

ive started using edmodo. 2 observations so far
    1 Can't rename slide/images in folders. I wanted to rename them slide 1 slide 2 etc within folders to avoid any mix ups by students
    2 To overcome this I tried to click and drag slides into desired order. Not as good as renaming slidss but OK. Unfortunately this can't be done in app which is very annoying. Means I have to upload using nexus and then go to desktop to reorder them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

google classroom all the way

seavill wrote: »
    google classroom all the way

can I rename files ?

not sure what you mean by rename files its extremely easy to upload/download/view files. Its linked to google docs so can create a file on google docs and continuously update that file without needing to reupload the file each time

not sure what you mean by rename files its extremely easy to upload/download/view files. Its linked to google docs so can create a file on google docs and continuously update that file without needing to reupload the file each time

when I upload image to edmodo its comes as random number.jpg with no option to rename
    how do ya invite students ? the code way on edmodo is easy

• Advertisement

Oh rite when I upload onto google classroom it uploads as whatever name I have the file saved as on my computer e.g. Chapter 1 Trees will be the file name, it doesn't change it to a random number.

The kids can have access through a code or you can invite them by email. Other teachers can have access to the same classroom also which could be handy at times in some department I would imagine

Oh rite when I upload onto google classroom it uploads as whatever name I have the file saved as on my computer e.g. Chapter 1 Trees will be the file name, it doesn't change it to a random number.

The kids can have access through a code or you can invite them by email. Other teachers can have access to the same classroom also which could be handy at times in some department I would imagine

thanks I'll look at that now so before I upload anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 10 IrishTeacher

I use Edmodo just because I can't be bothered logging into my 'teacher' gmail account every time I want to use Google Classroom. I know there's some way to be logged in multi accounts, but I find it much easier to just use Edmodo. Took a while to get the hang of it, but I use it a lot now. Makes life much easier.

I simply have internet explorer and google chrome installed on the computer. I use google chrome for all my personal accounts and internet explorer for all school activities so I can stay logged in to google permanently in explorer for school things never needing to change accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Am I right in thinking, in order to use classroom students need school domain email addresses?

Yea the school can register with google for an email school portal. Your school will then have an email address of joebloggs@yourschool.ie

You can then use this to use google classroom. Not sure how much there is involved in it but its well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Yea the school can register with google for an email school portal. Your school will then have an email address of joebloggs@yourschool.ie

You can then use this to use google classroom. Not sure how much there is involved in it but its well worth it

Thanks, I've been using that for years for the staff email, but hoped classroom would work with students personal addresses, rather than giving them school accounts. Oh well, more work for me :(

What naming convention do other schools use for student email addresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Thanks, I've been using that for years for the staff email, but hoped classroom would work with students personal addresses, rather than giving them school accounts. Oh well, more work for me :(

Ours is an ETB-wide domain, but we use school initials and then a student number@etbgmaildomain. The students log on and access email using this number, their name however, shows up in gmail communication and classroom. A few of us have a master list of numbers, associated students and passwords.

OK I'm back again :D
    something I've noticed now that is potential deal breaker !!!
    when I share a folder to a group the folder is not showing up if they go through edmodo app or on some tablets.
    have to go thru main website and for some of them have to use desktop
    am I doing something wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

It's on the app as backpack for them. If they open that the folders should be there.

• Advertisement

It's on the app as backpack for them. If they open that the folders should be there.

when I go into their group via app I also can't see it though ? only in my library

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

km79 wrote: »
    when I go into their group via app I also can't see it though ? only in my library

Yes for you its in your library. For them it's in backpack when they log in to their own account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Qwerty? wrote: »

The advice from the child protection people is to only use an official school email to communicate with students. Reason is that the email can be monitored by admin and so on. We have school email for kids too and addresses / passwords are shared with parents.

Re the original question. Office 365 is very good. It has OneDrive for cloud storage and integrates with office 2013 for was saving.

We are running SharePoint as our VLE with personal teacher sites / subject department sites and class sites with access restricted to members of your class only. ( this is populated automatically when changes are made to facility). Its very good. Office 365 is free, were paying for the setup of SharePoint but its free in itself iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kronsich

Hey did you work out how to make documents visible to the kids. I love Edmodo and have been using it for three years now. Have managed to upload all my notes for junior and leaving cert at this stage. Really handy as I can make them invisible and reveal them in the kids folders as we do the topics. Also have video clips, animations, etc so makes my job a lot easier.

If I am understanding you correctly, go to the document in your library and then add the document to the folder. Then go to the folder and press on the eye to make it visible to the kids.

Also a good idea to send a password home for the parents of the kids. The parents will then get an email when notes, assignments, clips are given to the kids.

Advertisement