Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correcting Mock papers

• 22-10-2014 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi guys,
    Just wondering if anyone has experience and info they can share on correcting mocks for DEB and Exam craft. Thinking of looking into it this year.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I've corrected for DEB in the past. Can't remember how I initially made contact - thinki just rang up enquiring about correcting. Pay is pretty small but it's handy if you're only on a few hours. You get to order in advance so if you've a busy week order less and order more if it's quiet
    My biggest bone of contention is the marking scheme doesn't always reflect how marks are allocated in the real thing which can be frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 40 newtothis13

I've corrected for DEB in the past. Can't remember how I initially made contact - thinki just rang up enquiring about correcting. Pay is pretty small but it's handy if you're only on a few hours. You get to order in advance so if you've a busy week order less and order more if it's quiet
    My biggest bone of contention is the marking scheme doesn't always reflect how marks are allocated in the real thing which can be frustrating

Thanks for that, any idea roughly how many you made it through in the time frame?
    Thinking of applying as sub cover I'm on will be over at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭saythatagain

I've corrected with DEB. I know when I applied you had to have two years teaching experience, don't know if that applies. You can control how many scripts you want to be sent, so if anything pops up unexpectedly you can get less for that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I corrected for the DEB for years.
    Apply asap as they do have their regular correctors and there has been a huge decrease in the number of the schools sending papers to be corrected.
    This was one of the reasons I gave up correcting for them.
    I teach a core subject and they were sending out less and less as the papers weren't there.
    You are taxed on the money so the pay per paper is net pay.
    The pay isn't great but the experience is good.
    I found DEB very efficient with sending out papers, postage, payment etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

I correct for ExamCraft and I find it great and they are really efficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks for that, any idea roughly how many you made it through in the time frame?
    Thinking of applying as sub cover I'm on will be over at that stage.

I have corrected for them and all the staff are lovely to deal with. I would guess different subjects get a different amount per paper. In my subject the written paper is only worth 50% or 60% depending on level at JC and it is worth 80% at LC. The payment they quote is after deductions. The minimum they like you to take is really 50 papers per week.
    My friend corrects for them too and for SEC and she much prefers DEB as you can just get on with it, no recorrecting or random sampling etc.
    I usually set a figure in my head and when I reach that I stop correcting. (One year I made over €1000 and I work full time but was saving for a deposit!) You get much quicker as the time goes on. Corrections started two weeks before the midterm and went on till just before the practicals last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭2011abc

Isnt the pay for this probably below minimum wage considering the time required to do justice to the work involved?Certainly standards of correction 'industry wide' seem to have plummetted along with pay ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

2011abc wrote: »
    Isnt the pay for this probably below minimum wage considering the time required to do justice to the work involved?Certainly standards of correction 'industry wide' seem to have plummetted along with pay ...

It depends how long it takes you to mark one paper. I have to correct my own classes first, that helps me to memorise marking scheme. I also only correct LC whereas with JC I find they answer extra questions which you have to mark. I have never made less than €8.65 in one hour while correcting them tbh. If you don't correct them properly the teacher will send them back and the DEB will get another corrector to recorrect. (Obviously if this happens I would guess they will stop you correcting as they pay more to a correct for rechecks). Also DEB do spot checks on correctors. I used DEB before in my previous school and the corrector was spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Millem wrote: »
    I have corrected for them and all the staff are lovely to deal with. I would guess different subjects get a different amount per paper. In my subject the written paper is only worth 50% or 60% depending on level at JC and it is worth 80% at LC. The payment they quote is after deductions. The minimum they like you to take is really 50 papers per week.
    My friend corrects for them too and for SEC and she much prefers DEB as you can just get on with it, no recorrecting or random sampling etc.
    I usually set a figure in my head and when I reach that I stop correcting. (One year I made over €1000 and I work full time but was saving for a deposit!) You get much quicker as the time goes on. Corrections started two weeks before the midterm and went on till just before the practicals last year.

Ya but you can't compare them. SEC is a state exam and is going to be corrected to a high standard where everyone was at a correction conference and agreed on a marking scheme.

Mock papers can effectively be corrected by anyone although they look for 2 years experience. I've had wildly varying experiences with the corrections done on my classes papers. From 'OK' to 'atrocious - i.e. a 40% discrepancy between mark awarded by mock corrector and mark awarded by me on recorrection'. I correct for SEC so I wouldn't be giving the marks away either.

I corrected for DEB in the past. It was €2 per paper OL LC and €2.50 for HL I think, it's been 6 or 7 years since I did it so it could have changed. That was net pay they were quoting. What I discovered though is that while they were paying tax for me, they were only paying at the 20% rate and when revenue processed my tax return I owed a load of tax because it should have been in the 41% rate. I wasn't aware of the rate they were paying until this turned up from revenue. Got DEB to pay the difference for me, after a lot of to and fro with them, but only because I was setting some of their papers at the time and I guess they didn't want to lose me as setter and corrector. I think they only had one other corrector in my subject at the time.

Haven't done it since. Not worth the money. Would echo what others have said on thread. You can ask for a certain amount of papers each week depending on how busy you are.

Advertisement