Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stropuva / Pat Lee wood boilers comparison?

Options
  • 06-09-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

I saw two interesting boilers at the forestry show in stradbally this spring, I wondered if anyone had any experience with them? I know the pat lee (60Kw) has a large capacity but takes up a lot of space (nearly 2m cubed). the stropuva is tall and thin, claims 91% efficiency - sounds great but made in Lithuania and I can't find any English language sites that are non-promotional. Also, who accredited the 91% - borat? ("CE certificate by an authoritative European company").

What other models (in the 40-60Kw range) are out there to compare with? We are building next year and want to use only wood & solar thermal for all heat. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 raymray

I saw two interesting boilers at the forestry show in stradbally this spring, I wondered if anyone had any experience with them? I know the pat lee (60Kw) has a large capacity but takes up a lot of space (nearly 2m cubed). the stropuva is tall and thin, claims 91% efficiency - sounds great but made in Lithuania and I can't find any English language sites that are non-promotional. Also, who accredited the 91% - borat? ("CE certificate by an authoritative European company").

What other models (in the 40-60Kw range) are out there to compare with? We are building next year and want to use only wood & solar thermal for all heat. Cheers
    Hi did you ever fined out about any of these ??

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Kildafornia

raymray wrote: »
    Hi did you ever fined out about any of these ??

I found out a little more allright. Mostly I found it hard to get definitive info on the KwH output of specific woods. Each boiler manufacturer, and even various forestry departments have slightly different info. I concluded that it's only really worth your while if you have access to all of your own timber.

About the boilers. The pat lee looked well built but very basic - more for an agri setup. The stropova can't back up their claims. For a new house build, personally I would pony up for a German or Austrian model. 2/3x the price but I think worth it in the long term.

Chopping logs is seriously hard work without the right machinery. An axe is not the right machinery.

I'm going with gas! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 raymray

I found out a little more allright. Mostly I found it hard to get definitive info on the KwH output of specific woods. Each boiler manufacturer, and even various forestry departments have slightly different info. I concluded that it's only really worth your while if you have access to all of your own timber.

About the boilers. The pat lee looked well built but very basic - more for an agri setup. The stropova can't back up their claims. For a new house build, personally I would pony up for a German or Austrian model. 2/3x the price but I think worth it in the long term.

Chopping logs is seriously hard work without the right machinery. An axe is not the right machinery.

I'm going with gas! Best of luck.
    Thanks i built my house 8 years ago and went with Gas the costs of running it are scary if i use my own wood ill get the price of a boiler back in a few years. wish i had researched it then

Advertisement