Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vast number of abandoned dogs in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Reading through this thread, I've seen the Dog Pound at Louth mentioned two or three times.

What can I say? If there's a Better run place in all Eire, I'd be impressed. Tommy, the guy in charge last year, is a fantastic bloke.

I spotted a 'Black Lab'' sort of Dog on their web site and decided he'd do for me. I e mailed Louth and was told the Dog had been found wandering and that Tommy reckoned he'd be called for.

We gave it the week. Then Tommy still insisted on a couple more days. He couldn't understand why the owners hadn't turned up.

Finally, he gave up and agreed I could come get the Dog. I did. Next day. By Taxi from Co. Leitrim!

Ok. So the 'Pound Mutt' cost me nearly 400 Euro's ~ it was an eight hour round trip. So what? How much would some " Reputable Breeder " have charged me?

And, ye know what? This Dog 'Works' like a Field Trial Champion! He pushes hares across my feet and flushes pheasants right over my head. (Lucky for the local game, I'm not interested in shooting them ;)) And he won't even look at a field with cattle in it.

Dog's an absolute dream to have around. He's just an innocent, sweet natured bundle of happy love. At night, he curls up in his bed and effectively dies for the night.

Make what ye will of my comments. But, Tommy and Louth Dog Pound? Big thgrinning-smiley-003.gif from me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Ditch wrote: »
    Reading through this thread, I've seen the Dog Pound at Louth mentioned two or three times.

What can I say? If there's a Better run place in all Eire, I'd be impressed. Tommy, the guy in charge last year, is a fantastic bloke.

I spotted a 'Black Lab'' sort of Dog on their web site and decided he'd do for me. I e mailed Louth and was told the Dog had been found wandering and that Tommy reckoned he'd be called for.

We gave it the week. Then Tommy still insisted on a couple more days. He couldn't understand why the owners hadn't turned up.

Finally, he gave up and agreed I could come get the Dog. I did. Next day. By Taxi from Co. Leitrim!

Ok. So the 'Pound Mutt' cost me nearly 400 Euro's ~ it was an eight hour round trip. So what? How much would some " Reputable Breeder " have charged me?

And, ye know what? This Dog 'Works' like a Field Trial Champion! He pushes hares across my feet and flushes pheasants right over my head. (Lucky for the local game, I'm not interested in shooting them ;)) And he won't even look at a field with cattle in it.

Dog's an absolute dream to have around. He's just an innocent, sweet natured bundle of happy love. At night, he curls up in his bed and effectively dies for the night.

Make what ye will of my comments. But, Tommy and Louth Dog Pound? Big thgrinning-smiley-003.gif from me!

I'm really sorry, but I've just re-read the whole thread, and I can't see Louth pound mentioned once:confused:

Funnily enough, I also have a dog from Louth Pound that I drove from Sligo to go and collect, and he is very much part of our family. Unfortunately however, he has a few 'issues', was so scared when we got to the pound that he had to be carried out, and pressed himself into the car seat trying to hide. He's a lovely boy, and we woudn't change him for the world. I agree with you on the running of Louth Pound, it is most definitely one of the best in the country, and there are a brilliant rescue group, Dundalk Dogs, that work trying to rehome dogs there. They go in and take photos, put them up on websites, get dogs out to safety that aren't reclaimed, and find them forever homes.

ISDW wrote: »
    I'm really sorry, but I've just re-read the whole thread, and I can't see Louth pound mentioned once:confused:

I agree with you on the running of Louth Pound, it is most definitely one of the best in the country, and there are a brilliant rescue group, Dundalk Dogs, that work trying to rehome dogs there. They go in and take photos, put them up on websites, get dogs out to safety that aren't reclaimed, and find them forever homes.

:confused: Bugger! Wishful thinking ~ or good Home Brew? :D

Never mind. Now we've given it a heads up and it's nice to see I appear right in my appraisal :)

And, yeppers; I chose my 'Niggy' from a photo line up, on line. I suppose that would've been the work of DD's then? Bless 'em!

I have five Dogs here now. Every one a bona fide and properly adopted 'rescue'. Wouldn't be without any one of them.

Can't take any more on now because, quite simply, I insist on feeding them human grade flesh and bone.

And my mate, the local Slaughterman / Butcher simply does not process enough sheep, each week, to provide me with any more Breast of Lamb. It's not cost. Simple availability.

Otherwise, I'd probably have a football crowd of Dogs and go bankrupt on the Licenses! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hpsheba

I for the life of me cant understand how anyone who claims to love dogs can go out and but a dog at the moment here in Ireland, There are literally thousands sitting in pounds and rescue centres up and down the country all breeds. In just one pound at the moment there are all types, Resticted breeds used to be more the norm but today on their facebook page there are Chihuahas ( multiple ) GSD beautys and my fav Collies.

Working with no rescue I have been asked in the last week to help rehome 2 Shihtzu puppies , 1 nine months and 1 6 months that the families that own them no longer want and also a 5 year oild Lab thats locked out the back all day, un neutered but has full papers and is from a great line. :confused:

Two quick stories. A lady came into the shop one day and told me that she had just arranged to buy a pup over the phone, her friends was going to pick it up for her and what should she do. She never ever had a dog before, didnt know what to feed it, what ot would like to sleep on/in and where she would put it when it arrived 2 hours later. This woman is well educated and run her own very successful business. Luckilly all worked out ok in the end for this pup. The family came to adore him, did training classes and he has a fab life, ................. but I was stumped at the time at how so little consideration was given to buying him. :(
    Story 2, another lady comes into the shop, again well dressed smart 30 something, from a very well to do neighbourhood. She also had just bought a pup , did a little homework, met the breeder , saw the paperwork and was very happy. Now, she was collecting the pup later that day, 6 weeks old, springer spaniel and wanted to but buy a kennel for him. Now I didnt sell kennels but even if I had done I wouldnt have sold her one. The breeder told her that they were a low energy breed LOL. Spoke to her for about an hour, convinced her to let the pup sleep indoors in her garage at least , sold her puppy food, advised her that the pup was really to young to be going to a new home yet if she insisted on going ahead gave her a few tips. Lady leaves shop after spending a fair few bob on all her bits and pieces for the puppy. She came back the next day to return the bed she has bought. She had taken the puppy to the vet when she had collected him and he told her that she was being way too soft on the puppy , that his breed was well used to sleeping outdoor and maybe put a lean to or something up for him to lie under :mad: she also returned the puppy food as the vet told her that she should not be spending money on a premium food unless ............... she was planning to stud him out later on.

Anyhow, this is just 2 examples of what I hear on an almost daily basis :confused: These were not older ladies, or from a rural farming background. Both were successful , educated and IT literate. YET both of these ladies would have put in more effort buying a mobile phone ar a telly than they did to getting a puppy that woud live with them for many years.

I think education in our schools on animal welfare is very important but also we need to get the message across to adults as well and get people to face up to the responsibilities as dog owners.

The springer ended up being surrendered to a pound at 9 months old :confused: they went out and then got a Bischon as " that would be much easier to look after," Bischon is now about 8 (ish) months old and has yet to be groomed. :-( I often wonder how long he will last. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

hpsheba,
    unfortunately im not suprised by the ignorance of those women, intelligent people out there that act in nonsensical ways,:confused:
    but the vet:mad::mad::mad: what kind of advice is that?/? how are we meant to progress when vets are giving out advice like that?( i have to say ive heard of gp's giving similarly bad advice about babies), maybe they(vets) are too academic and not enough common sense:( poor doggies suffer because of it, if that woman had just listened to you and not that vet...well, its very annoying. more education in schools for sure:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

hpsheba wrote: »
    she also returned the puppy food as the vet told her that she should not be spending money on a premium food unless ............... she was planning to stud him out later on.

:eek: Most Vets these days would of persuaded her to feed it Hill's & to buy it from them !.

If you play Devil's Advocate you can argue that by buying one dog you kill another dog. Many here would find this idea to be offensive but it is very hard to argue against.

The real problem is the prevalent attitude that dogs are disposable. But it will take generations to change that so, in the meantime, there are thousands of dogs that die because someone chooses to buy rather than rehome. I suspect that if only 50% of people rehomed instead of buying we would not be killing many dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

When I see pictures on the front of the Irish Independent newspaper endorsing supposed cutsie photos of an 11 year old girl holding up pups up for sale atPuckfair I despair - when I see the front of the Buy & Sell paper with pictures of all kinds of breeds of dogs up for sale I despair even further and when we see the numbers of abandoned dogs in rescue centres I have to ask what kind of a dysfunctional nation are we?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It's a pity Done deal adverts that look like this are not the norm, have never seen this before on the site. A very pleasant surprise! :)

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/1597022

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Is there a definitive list of pounds/shelters in Ireland broken down by county? I've tried my auld pal google but can't find a comprehensive listing...

Thanks,

K

K; Maybe we could start compiling one, right here?

Co. Leitrim has a privately run 'No Kill Shelter'. Cavan, I believe, has a council pound ~ I'd have to verify that. Louth has a council pound.

I can easily find the score in Mayo ..... No idea about Longford.

Have ye a criteria ye'd like to work to? Opinions and experiences are sure to differ. But, maybe we folks here could rustle up a sort of 'Chart' of pounds / rescues, by county and perceived 'quality'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

D_Red_Army wrote: »
    Is there a definitive list of pounds/shelters in Ireland broken down by county? I've tried my auld pal google but can't find a comprehensive listing...

Thanks,

K

I think Irish Animals has one - www.irishanimals.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

Hi www.irishanimals.ie gives a list of counties with diff rescues. The pounds are doing great work in rehoming directly. Galway: MADRA, EGAR, GSPCA. Limerick: LAW. also www.dogsindistress.ie. Facebook has Irish animals and lots of rescues advertise there. also http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=79001

that should keep you going...:)