Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mass Effect 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Kiith wrote: »
    Nothing worse then having a quest in your quest log that you can't complete though. Drives me mental in rpg's.

True dat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I remembered today that I had never gotten around to playing any of the DLC for this game. I was disappointed to see that all three pieces of DLC are still the same price. Two for €14.99 and the other is €9.99. I don't think I can justify €40 for what I heard isn't the best DLC the series has seen.

Maybe it will drop in the summer sale but so far the sale on PSN has been poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The launch day DLC, from the Ashes, introduces a character so that's worth getting....even if day one DLC is a f*ck you pisstake. Javik is a good character so its worth it.

Citadel DLC is fantastic. You should get it. Leviathan is apparently good but I haven't played it and Omega is reportedly terrible...everyone says so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Did they ever fix the ending in this game?

I remember people saying/hoping the ending was actually indoctrination. It was really **** either way.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I've played all the DLC.

From Ashes had an average length, average quality mission but the character that you get to use for the rest of the game is good.
    Omega is average.
    Leviathan is good.
    Citadel is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got a 1000 BW points and I'm missing omega and the citadel but I've no plan to get them soon.

Why Citadel is really good. I can understand passing on Omega though.

Got 960 BW points, the 2 DLC are 1200 each so I've to spend money to get anything.

I've either to spend €4 to get one or €16 extra to get the 2.

I'm in no hurry in either case.

Ah I see your point. hang on for a sale then.

There is a sale on the PSN Store today. All the Mass Effect 3 DLC has been massively discounted. I've got Leviathan and Citadel downloading at the moment. I loved Mass Effect 3 back when I played but I couldn't justify buying the DLC at full price. Looking forward to jumping back into the universe for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Did they ever fix the ending in this game?

I remember people saying/hoping the ending was actually indoctrination. It was really **** either way.

Wouldn't matter if they did..that ending single-handedly destroyed all my interest in the trilogy which I loved right upto that point. I'd been playing ME since it's original launch and have multiple endings prepared for the multiple endings promised in ME3 and they fúcked us over.

I watched Lost for the entire 5 years or so and if I ever was introduced to a chap who said he was involved in the ending I'll probably knock him to the ground and punch the face off him.
    If I met a guy who said he worked on the ME3 ending I'll probably kill him on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Playing through ME3 for the first time at the moment and I recon im about 60% through. So far is all a bit mehhhh, if you know what I mean. Its an ok game but not loving it at all.. Just want to get it completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Glebee wrote: »
    Playing through ME3 for the first time at the moment and I recon im about 60% through. So far is all a bit mehhhh, if you know what I mean. Its an ok game but not loving it at all.. Just want to get it completed.

You poor bastard. If you throw your controller through the TV no one will blame you at the ending.
    Have you played 1 and 2?
    I actually thought 3 was fantastic and very involving right upto that last 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

There is a sale on the PSN Store today. All the Mass Effect 3 DLC has been massively discounted. I've got Leviathan and Citadel downloading at the moment. I loved Mass Effect 3 back when I played but I couldn't justify buying the DLC at full price. Looking forward to jumping back into the universe for a few hours.

Is it just for today do you know? Might get Citadel and Omega if they're cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Blazer wrote: »
    You poor bastard. If you throw your controller through the TV no one will blame you at the ending.
    Have you played 1 and 2?
    I actually thought 3 was fantastic and very involving right upto that last 5 mins.

Yes, Played 1 and 2, Had 3 sitting gathering dust so I said I might as well give it a whirll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Glebee wrote: »

It was the weakest of the 3 games, but had it a decent ending, it may have saved it from ridicule.

I played it through a second time on the hardest difficulty, and did some things different, no difference at all at the end, the game is just a cover based corridor shooter, with limited dialogue choices and general choices compared to the first game.

It has it moments, but never really hits the highs of Mass Effect 1 or 2.

The ending ruined the trilogy for me, when I played ME1, I thought this is a game I could play again in 10 years time, play the whole trilogy again. Well I deleted ever bit of Mass Effect off my HDD, and I won't be going back to it ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    [...]

It has it moments, but never really hits the highs of Mass Effect 1 or 2.

The ending ruined the trilogy for me, when I played ME1, I thought this is a game I could play again in 10 years time, play the whole trilogy again. Well I deleted ever bit of Mass Effect off my HDD, and I won't be going back to it ever.

Mass Effect 1 is still the purest experience of the trilogy for me, even if conventionally speaking it was the roughest, shoddiest game. Yes the Mako sections were poor and the combat lacking polish - and dear GOD the Inventory UI was beyond awful - but as a story-based experience, I loved it. Probably because at that point the universe was new and exciting, where every character, alien race and planet was an unknown quantity I was experiencing for the first time. Even the franchise itself was unknown really, I bought it on a whim because I had heard mutterings it was a classy space-opera & there it was for next-to-nothing in Game.

Inevitably, familiarity with the universe & the series meant the sequels would never hit those emotional heights, but its sprawling story and more RPG-focused gameplay still makes it my favourite. ME2 had a sloppy, shopping-list plot and ME3 was a bit of a mess for reasons well covered by now, but ME1 still holds up for me (though at least the sequels offered the romantic option I had preferred but couldn't pursue in #1; namely Tali hehe) I guess it's the closest to those raw gaming experiences from childhood when you played stuff like Mario or Zelda for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I finished ME2 & 3 in the last month or so and in terms of a game ME3 is a far superior game to ME2 and I haven't even touched the mp in it.

Ending is poor but not bad enough to ruin what was a good game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

pixelburp wrote: »
    Mass Effect 1 is still the purest experience of the trilogy for me, even if conventionally speaking it was the roughest, shoddiest game. Yes the Mako sections were poor and the combat lacking polish - and dear GOD the Inventory UI was beyond awful - but as a story-based experience, I loved it. Probably because at that point the universe was new and exciting, where every character, alien race and planet was an unknown quantity I was experiencing for the first time. Even the franchise itself was unknown really, I bought it on a whim because I had heard mutterings it was a classy space-opera & there it was for next-to-nothing in Game.

Inevitably, familiarity with the universe & the series meant the sequels would never hit those emotional heights, but its sprawling story and more RPG-focused gameplay still makes it my favourite. ME2 had a sloppy, shopping-list plot and ME3 was a bit of a mess for reasons well covered by now, but ME1 still holds up for me (though at least the sequels offered the romantic option I had preferred but couldn't pursue in #1; namely Tali hehe) I guess it's the closest to those raw gaming experiences from childhood when you played stuff like Mario or Zelda for the first time.
    Personally I loved Mako and it made exploring a world really mean exploring rather then sitting and scanning on a globe and send in "probes" every so often and beam down to the place to fight directly. With the Mako you got long range sniping battles or go balls in and try to rush through the enemy to get to the relevant point and could make flips and trying to get to places you should not...

ME2 and ME3 went from open world RPG to action corridor games and ruined yet another game series :( I prefer ME3 over ME2 simply for the scale of battles but neither were not as good as ME1 as a game in my book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mass Effect 3 fixed the one thing that was wrong with it's predecessor's combat. The corridor environments meant that enemies would never attempt flanking so as long as you were in cover, you were invincible.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nody wrote: »
    Personally I loved Mako and it made exploring a world really mean exploring rather then sitting and scanning on a globe and send in "probes" every so often and beam down to the place to fight directly. With the Mako you got long range sniping battles or go balls in and try to rush through the enemy to get to the relevant point and could make flips and trying to get to places you should not...

It was far from perfect but in the Hammerhead (which, granted, was only DLC) they had a perfect replacement.

It removed most of the finickiness from the controls and although the gun was stupid and made the game too easy it was certainly better than completely doing away with exploration.

Mind you, the side missions were a lot more fun in ME2. The cookie-cutter dungeons got boring after a while.
    If they'd used the Hammerhead to explore in a similar fashion to 1 but just dropped the maps for the ME2 missions in the middle of the area it would've been the best of both worlds.

I loved ME3. It had some incredibly poignant moments, some epic set pieces and the combat was by far the most polished of the 3 games. The MP was an absolute revelation. It just strayed too far from the path they'd started on in ME 1.

Just finished Leviathan. Really enjoyed the story elements but I felt a lot of the content was padded out with pointless battles. Plus the repeated visits to the lab on the Citadel was a bit of a chore. The actual confrontation with Leviathan was worth it though. Can't help but think that his would have worked better as part of the actual campaign and not as DLC.

I guess Bioware have to make that extra money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I guess Bioware have to make that extra money.

I think EA's behind these decisions.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I think EA's behind these decisions.

Yeah it really shows. MS published the first game and the best by far imo then EA published 2 and 3. The story and mystery of the first game was epic and a special gaming moment for me on the 360 like playing Mario Bros 3 on the NES for the first time.

I finished the Citadel DLC and thought it was terrific. It is just such good fan service. It is very rare for a game to make me laugh but some of the dialogue in Citadel had me laughing. I loved all the in-jokes and references. The Star Wars cantina reference was also excellent.

The clone story line was well done. I loved the fact that the whole team was involved and that they made such a joke over the whole issue of just picking favourites for each mission. The latter part of the DLC about hosting the party was well done with great dialogue throughout.

It is certainly the best DLC for ME3 and up there with Lair of the Shadow Broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Looks like the whole series is being re released for xbox one and ps4, seeing reports on a few different gaming sites. I loved the series but that journey is over, don't think I could play through it again. Although it was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Certainly squeezing every penny out of that trilogy. All games released originally, then a trilogy pack and now a re-release on the next-gen consoles.

Probably would buy the next gen version, but only as it's likely cheaper than getting the last few DLC for ME3 (PC). I've got the first few but it's around €25-30 for the last few games and a remaster version could be around €40 and would drop in price unlike the PC DLC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not surprised tbh, we're going to see a lot of popular games re-released on the next gen consoles. I won't buy it myself, as i have it on the pc and already own all the DLC (bar the last one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,972 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Looks like the whole series is being re released for xbox one and ps4, seeing reports on a few different gaming sites. I loved the series but that journey is over, don't think I could play through it again. Although it was brilliant!

Its coming from a tweet that says it was discussed - from my reading of the tweet it didn't appear anything was actually done about it.

Mass Effect 4 is likely going to come out next year - so the rerelease would need to happen before the end of this year imo. If they haven't actually done anything for it yet I would be shocked if we ever saw it on XBox One or PS4.

Would love if they did redo it, and updated the combat of the first game - not sure if it could be restructured though.

Imagine how short the game would be now though, with the loading speed of the next gen consoles - those lift scenes would be shredded!

Advertisement