Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New UTV Broadband prices

• 01-03-2004 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Originally posted by bk
    I expect that they where waiting to see what Esat/IOL was going to do. You can see that IOL have released their new products over on the Broadband forum, so I'd expect some news fro mUTV in the next day or two.

Press release has been issued and new site will be live within the hour.

€29.99 - first sub €30 broadband in Ireland.

Malcolm Thompson
    Operations Manager

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Malcolm

Malcolm Thompson
    Operations Manager

Sweet :)
    Any cap/contention changes...and is that price ex-vat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I think its apt that UTV should be the ones to go sub €30 - the benchmark that we all considered would provide mass market appeal.

Well done UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Nice.

But will you be doing the same as eircom and keeping the higher priced deal with lower contention/highercap/lower pings(hah) etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Details here, nice 8 gb cap....

http://www.utvclicksilver.com/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Malcolm Thompson
    Operations Manager

Hi Malcolm, thanks, I'll update the details on the IrelandOffLine site later today.

BTW Congratulations on introducing two excellent products, in particular the EUR30 product is a great breakthrough.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Heh, nice PR guys. Well, nasty, but I respect nasty. :)

I don't see any mention of contention ratios on the site, or paths for existing customers. Care to clarify?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Heh, nice PR guys. Well, nasty, but I respect nasty. :)

I don't see any mention of contention ratios on the site, or paths for existing customers. Care to clarify?

adam
    Contention Ratios are detailed in the Clicksilver site at http://www.utvclicksilver.com/clicksilver.asp

We will be sending an e-mail to all our existing customers later today or tomorrow giving them the option of choosing either of the new services. The migration options for each product will be by a simple selection in their private account sections. Existing customers will have until a specified date in March to make their choice, with the effective date 1st April.

We have worked to ensure that the migration process for existing customers is as easy and seamless as possible.

Malcolm Thompson
    Operations Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

Well done Malcolm et al,
    another rabbit out of the hat !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

Oh BTW,

I don't mean to critise or anything,
    but the ads comparing Pears really great on me,
    could you not have something along the lines of,
    here is our great broadband product,
    its 25% cheaper than Eircom ...
    pears just confuse the whole thing ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Any upload cap a la Eircom?

Are there any additional charges with CPS (such as a minimum call amount)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Great news for all of us. One thing regarding signing up for Utv BB though is that the availability checker still requires an Eircom account number. I thought this had been done away with in the last cuple of months? Only a small thing.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

eircom really take the biscuit:

go to website to do line check, get back message saying number of accesses by a particular indivdual (my IP address I imagine) has exceeded 120 and to contact 1901.

Ring 1901 spend a while on hold and told to go ring another number.. ring this one and get told that their system i sdown and try again in 2 hours...what a shower...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Contention Ratios are detailed in the Clicksilver site at http://www.utvclicksilver.com/clicksilver.asp
    Umm, I'm not trying to be difficult, but where? I had already looked around the site, and another examination isn't popping anything up on my radar. Perhaps I'm going blind? :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

You're right, Adam - they're not there. The only place I can see them is if you go through the migration process by signing into your account and clicking "New Services". The brief descriptions of the two services given there specify 48:1 for €30 and 24:1 for €45.

They should be on the website though - at the moment, only existing customers are getting this information.

I've just upgraded myself to the Plus service - totally painless, as long as you're prepared to accept a new 12 month contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Well done Malcolm and all at UTV. I'm sure these new offers will attract more people to your service than any other.
    Will the people on the higher capped service have a better contention ratio than those on the lower capped service? I'm sure this will become an issue with more and more people signing up for broadband.

Mike

Originally posted by mickger
    Well done Malcolm and all at UTV. I'm sure these new offers will attract more people to your service than any other.
    Will the people on the higher capped service have a better contention ratio than those on the lower capped service? I'm sure this will become an issue with more and more people signing up for broadband.

Mike

My mistake.

They are on the site now against each product description.

To clarify the €29.99 product is at 48:1 and the €45 product is at 24:1.

Malcolm Thompson
    UTV Internet

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hi Malcolm,

I'm looking to update the broadband comparison chart on the IrelandOffLine website, but I need some details which aren't currently on your website. If you could answer these questions I'd be very grateful.

- How much does an engineer install cost?
    - How much does an install on ISDN cost?
    - Is the per MB charge still 1.5c for going over the cap?
    - What type of modem is supllied with the two services (USB, USB/Ethernet or 4 port router)?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

One thought springs to mind. It appears that if you choose either option you commit to a new 12 month contract. What happens if you choose neither (which seems to be the only way to avoid a new contract) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Yeah, this is excellent news about UTV, worth waiting for. Unfortunately I live in sligo and I cant get it, but soon hopefully :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Originally posted by MarVeL
    One thought springs to mind. It appears that if you choose either option you commit to a new 12 month contract. What happens if you choose neither (which seems to be the only way to avoid a new contract) ?
    I imagine you keep paying your current €47.50 for the new €30 product (don't see any differences, are there any?).
    The difference in price is enough that 7-8 months at 47.50 costs the same as 12 months at 30.00, so you probably might as well switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've split the pre-announcement stuff from this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Malcolm could you please clarify if its required that people sign a new 12 month contract in order to take up either of the new services, and what happens with people who don't want a new contract.

I have 7 months left on my UTV contract. Where does this leave me?

Originally posted by PcP
    Malcolm could you please clarify if its required that people sign a new 12 month contract in order to take up either of the new services, and what happens with people who don't want a new contract.

I have 7 months left on my UTV contract. Where does this leave me?

We are giving customers the option to select either of the new services and begin a new 12 month contract. If, for whatever reason customers do not wish to change their service and enter into a new tariff then they can remain on their existing contract at the €47.50 tariff per month.

Malcolm Thompson
    UTV Internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Dont see any mention of an upload cap on either of the products. Am i missing something? Or is there none?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Well in that case thanks but no thanks, I'll serve my time and be done with it.

mbroaders I dont know how relevant it is to the new offers but previously there was no upload cap on Clicksilver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If we switch to ClickSilver Plus now, is it possible to switch to the regular ClickSilver service at a later time (if, for example, I see no improvement or advantages in the higher-priced service)?

Originally posted by PiE
    If we switch to ClickSilver Plus now, is it possible to switch to the regular ClickSilver service at a later time (if, for example, I see no improvement or advantages in the higher-priced service)?
    There is a downgrade charge for switching from the 24 to 1 service to the 48 to 1 service of €30.

Malcolm Thompson
    UTV Internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Are these both 512k/128k connections? I don't see anywhere that specifies the speed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yipeeeeeeeeee! :D

As a humble surfer I really don't give a hoot about pings and ratios. I just want it all and I want it now! :eek:

Mike.

*now excuse me while I lie down* :ninja:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by The Clown Man
    Are these both 512k/128k connections? I don't see anywhere that specifies the speed...

Yes, they are both RADSL 512k - 256k downstream and 128k upstream. This means that most people will get 512k, but if you are far from the exchange you it will drop to 256k, which is better then nothing.

In fact I've never heard of anyone only getting 256k, does anyone out there only get 256k?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement