Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT

• 15-10-2015 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys, I'm hoping some of you can help me.

I bought a car in the North in April and I went to the NCT Centre to pay the VRT the first opportunity I had, which was about 2 weeks after I bought it. Unfortunately I was missing a document which the previous owner of the car had. When I contacted the owner again he advised me he had posted it away and that the DVLA would send it to me. I ended up having so much hassle trying to get this bit of the tax book from the man but eventually got it about 3 weeks ago. In the meantime I was stopped by the Customs in June and explained to them I had tried to pay the VRT but was missing a document and would take the car across as soon as I got it. This was fine with them, they took my details and followed up with a phone call to me some time in August to see if I had taken the car through. My circumstances changed early September and I have a new job now with a company car. Because I don't actually need my car now and the man I bought the car from turned me off it (he really was a nightmare, I have no idea why he held on to the tax book so long, anyone shed any light on that?! Personally I think he was just an awkward pr*ck!) so I decided to sell the car. I put it up for sale and have agreed to sell it to a woman from Armagh (I have accepted a deposit for it) and she will be collecting it this weekend.

But someone I work with mentioned that I am technically still eligible to pay the VRT. Is this correct? Even though the car is staying in the North now and won't be taken across, because I had it here for a few months do I need to pay the VRT? I'm not trying to avoid paying it or anything and I don't want to get in trouble, I just want to make sure I go about things the right way. Someone else suggested I might just have to pay the late fine? Will the woman I sell the car to have any problems as a result of all this? Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 PluckedTurkey

Think I posted this in the wrong forum, oops! Will try again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's a vrt export repayment scheme
    It has a 500 admin fee, plus a nct test.

what was the vrt owed?
    If the vrt was a fair bit more than 500, ring the
    repayments section (047) 62100 and see if you can clear the account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

If the car is back in the north now, no VRT is payable.

This..... the only option to paying the VRT on assessment is to re-export the car. Should be the end of the matter

Advertisement