Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An other VRT question

• 09-07-2014 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I know there are many post RE VRT, but i couldn't find anything whats close enough to my question.

Basically i am moving to Portugal in a near future and need to bring a car with me as they are very very expensive other there - maybe even double price of going rate in Europe.

As for Portugal i would need LHD car, ie need to get such car and hold it for min a year in order to get tax exemption.

So idea would be to hold it in Ireland for a year before taking it with me to Portugal. Problem here is that if i would import LHD car from mainland, i would need to pay VRT in Ireland. Therefore my savings would be insignificant for all hassle i would go through.

This is where my question comes to place - how could i avoid VRT tax. Some of you might start laughing at this stage :) but i am Lithuanian national and would have no problem buying a car in LT and keeping it there for 6 months before importing to Ireland. Also i could get bills and bank accounts and etc as proof of my address. One thing would be missing is income as i am resident in Ireland for last 10 years. I think this might be a slight problem when i will have to face taxman :)

By the way - importing from LT to PT directly would not work (i think) as Portuguese are very tough now when it comes to taxes. They would spot that i was resident in IRL and bringing car from LT where i wasn't resident for a decade. And at the end of the day we all know perfectly well that dealing with Paddy is much much easier :)

What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Buy a LHD car that is already registered in Ireland then when the time comes export it to Portugal. Check the likes of Donedeal.ie, there are always LHD cars for sale here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

buy lhd here and export it and you will get vrt back when you export and will get the exemption in Portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 2 zegmis

this option was already cosidered :) not many LHD cars around with Irish plates. and i am bit fussy what i want. But defo will be looking around localy.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭leandrolorenzi

@ zegmis I am in the opposite situation of having a LHD car here (Italian registered) and I want to sell it to buy a used RHD car (Irish registered) by the end of the year. Not sure we could sort it out somehow, I am not willing to register it here as they asked me 430 Eur in VRT (maybe if you register it on you name you could get that money back when you expat), my car is a Skoda Fabia Wagon 1.9 tdi 2005. I'll send you my details via PM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You want to get rid of your car for the sake of 430e?
    As for the "swap" you are asking about, it seems to me that it would be virtually impossible.
    You would first of all need to de-register the car in Italy (so the plates are removed from the car) you then need to get a notarized bill of sale for the new owner and then the car would need to be transported to Ireland.
    If it were my car I'd pay the 430e and have it registered in Ireland, then NCT and tax it then you can sell it on immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭leandrolorenzi

thanks for replying bear1. To better explain my situation
    The car is currently in Cork. It is taxed and insured ( based on the Italian plates)
    registering it here would involve Eur 430 (VRT) then approx (150 for NCT - fron lights need to be replaced) but what I do not fancy at all is Eur 710 yearly as Motor Tax (engine size based 1.9 tdi)

If I sum up all the expenses I should spend approx 1200/1300 just to get it on the road here with Irish plates.
    frankly the value of the car is less than 3500 (if it were in Italy in mint condition, or here as a RHD).
    Here I would not expect many Irish would buy a RHD (even if it were on Irish plates), that is why I am considering to sell it to someone who would expatriate ( or return to his original Country in the continent) and I would accept 1500 Eur (as it is not in mint condition also)

About the deregistration you are right, some extra aperworks need to be filled, in case I sell it outside Italy.

anyway to DEregister I only will need a copy of the foreign registration (on my name or someone else's name) and the signed contract/agreement. I have all the Documents here

any suggestion /ideas is really welcome. curently my ad could be easily found in adverts/gumtree

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Ok so now it makes more sense.
    How long have you had the car? If you can prove (you will need a lot of documents for this) that the car was in constant use in Italy for min 1 year then you can register it for free in Ireland.
    You'll still have the other costs but it will be 430e less.
    Failing that, just stick it on the websites like you have done (I would suggest Donedeal and adverts.ie) and sell it for 1.5k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

zegmis wrote: »
    this option was already cosidered :) not many LHD cars around with Irish plates. and i am bit fussy what i want. But defo will be looking around localy.

best tell us what cars you would consider (and year and price.)

Advertisement