Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Aerial - Many Saorview Tv's - Best way to do it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

bliamf wrote: »
    I have an aerial that we are receiving saorview on OK. This aerial's coax is plugged into a white box and from here, is plugged into a saor view telly. All works OK. The thing that is on my mind at the moment is what happens when I split the cable to get saroview on another telly.

The white box is plugged into the mains.What exactly is it doing. Is it an amplifier or is it somehow providing power to a receiver on the aerial through the coax cable?

It could be an amplifier or a power supply for a masthead amplifier located close to the aerial. Is there any information printed on this white box?

If it's a power supply for a masthead amp you could use one of these power pass splitters before the power supply with the co-ax cable carrying the power for the masthead amp connected to the power pass leg of the splitter.

If you have a masthead amp you shouldn't require another amplifier (not recommended in any case).

Use a splitter with the number of outputs close to the number of TVs you plan to have attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 NOTORIOUSGIB

Hi all,

I'm just going to jump in here and add to bliamf's questions. I have the same set up, and with the new saorview system I may have to split the signal. However, if I split the signal after this white box (which is mains powered) will I lose much signal strength in each connection do you think??

Also, if I was to split the signal myself, what would I have to buy/do??

Advice would be appreiated.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Cerco

Hi all,

I'm just going to jump in here and add to bliamf's questions. I have the same set up, and with the new saorview system I may have to split the signal. However, if I split the signal after this white box (which is mains powered) will I lose much signal strength in each connection do you think??

Also, if I was to split the signal myself, what would I have to buy/do??

Advice would be appreiated.
    Cheers
    If you split the cable using a passive splitter you will have half the original signal power to both tvs. Not sure what you mean by "after this white box". If you mean on the TV side then that is fine, if it is on the antenna side then read the post above regarding power by pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

As above, what is the white box - a distribution amplifier or a power supply for a masthead amp?

If it's a distribution amp how many outputs are there? If only one, replace it with an amp that will give you the number of outputs you require - http://www.tvtrade.ie/tv-distribution/tv-distribution-amplifiers.html. If it's a power supply for a masthead amp add a passive splitter after the psu with the number of outputs you require.

Advertisement