Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Game of Thrones started out ok, season 4 was boring though.

Vikings is a lot better, can't wait for season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

I've watched most of Bill Murray's interviews and they were great but that was down to Murray 100%, although they did seem to be friends which maybe made Bill make more of an effort. The fact his show has been used for the bizarre stuff and has its moments is because its as big as it is. You don't have a show that big and run for that long without having some good and memorable moments.

If people don't want to watch Paris Hilton or Letterman doesn't like her then don't get her on the show. He's not exactly another employee, as you said its his show, its about him. Personally I'll take Jimmy Fallon being fake and decent over an asshole like Letterman being an asshole to a guest on his show. If thats his Schtick then its the Schtick of the lazy and talentless to be an asshole to entertain people. But I don't think it matters either way as I'm not saying his show isn't as good any anyone else's. None of them would be on my to watch list tbh.

My issue is the the fact Letterman has attained such a status as he has on the back of being a comedian despite being what I think is a really really bad comedian. The sarcasm, cynicism and smart arsery you mention from what I've seen have been utterly bereft of comedy. Given he's famous plenty obviously find him funny and brilliant but personally I don't get it. Each to their own and all but most comics even if I don't like them I understand the draw. With Letterman I don't find him funny in any way shape or form which is why I'm a little baffled about his fame.

That must be a first - somebody mentioning Paris Hilton and the words "talentless and lazy" in the same paragraph, but not actually talking about her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Samesies!

@ NegativeCreep: They're two massively popular shows, it hardly takes a outstandingly insightful intellect to notice that a lot of people like both. I wouldn't go reading too much into that correlation, honestly.

Ah I know I don't read into it too much I'm only joking.

But I do notice that a lot of Game of Thrones fans can't wait to talk to you about it and tell you just how HUGE a fan of the show they are. No one cares. Some of my friends continue to talk to me about the show even after I've told them I don't like or watch the show. The face of them when you tell them you don't like it is gas too, you'd swear you killed their mother. Really annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Game of Thrones started out ok, season 4 was boring though.

Vikings is a lot better, can't wait for season 2

Yes it's deadly. Series 2 is over about two months lad. Go and download it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Jaliyah Helpless Sordidness

Ah I know I don't read into it too much I'm only joking.

But I do notice that a lot of Game of Thrones fans can't wait to talk to you about it and tell you just how HUGE a fan of the show they are. No one cares. Some of my friends continue to talk to me about the show even after I've told them I don't like or watch the show. The face of them when you tell them you don't like it is gas too, you'd swear you killed their mother. Really annoying.

Oh god yeah, if you weren't into it I can see how it'd get very irritating. As a non-sport person who's just lived through the world cup I can sympathise :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Don't think he was ever mentioned in The Hobbit. He just happened to be a prince from Mirkwood so they wrote him in for the movie.

Come to think of it, you''re right, he wasn't in The Hobbit but he was in the Lord Of The Rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Most Irish people are grand-looking.

It's more popular to say most Irish people are ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Couldn't agree more. Absolute rubbish. Can't help but notice a correlation between people who enjoy The Big Bang Theory and Game of Thrones. They're also the type of people who'll refer to themselves as a "nerd" and think it's cool.

I avoid those people like the plague.

Those two programmes are complete and utter sh1te, I am a nerd, and it is, in fact, cool. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Jaliyah Helpless Sordidness

Magaggie wrote: »
    Most Irish people are grand-looking.

It's more popular to say most Irish people are ugly.

My opinion on it is that there's actually not a whole lot of variety among how Irish people look. There are about a half dozen face-types of good looking people that get repeated over and over (obviously our gene pool isn't that diverse!), all good looking Irish people look the same.

Anyways, if people are listing good characteristics about a nationality, I'd rather be in the camp where "funny" and "sociable" are top of the list rather that good-looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

I have virtually no interest in watching "A Game of Thrones" on T.V, having read about half the books so far.

More irritatingly, but considerably more pedantic, I would prefer "A Song of Ice and Fire" as the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Suas11 wrote: »
    He was in the books.
    No he is not. The only elves mentioned as individuals are the Elven King, the Captain of the Guards and the Butler and they aren't even given names in The Hobbit book. All the rest are just "elves" doing stuff like feasting, rafting and eventually fighting. Of course it is reasonable to expect the son of the elven king to be present during the period the Hobbit is set so I can see why Jackson included him. The whole Tauriel thing however, I just......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

homershoutingatnerd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

No he is not. The only elves mentioned as individuals are the Elven King, the Captain of the Guards and the Butler and they aren't even given names in The Hobbit book. All the rest are just "elves" doing stuff like feasting, rafting and eventually fighting. Of course it is reasonable to expect the son of the elven king to be present during the period the Hobbit is set so I can see why Jackson included him. The whole Tauriel thing however, I just......

I was in primary school when I read the hobbit so can't remember a lot of it but Tauriel wasn't in it right? Pointless love interest between 2 people that's as likely as Gandalf and Smaug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I was in primary school when I read the hobbit so can't remember a lot of it but Tauriel wasn't in it right? Pointless love interest between 2 people that's as likely as Gandalf and Smaug

Smaug is gay?!? :eek: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I thought smaug was a place. Shows how much attention I paid to that film :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

All this back and forth reminds me of Clerks 2. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKbyWSwd7hk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

There's really not that much difference between Lyons and Barrys tea.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Dolbert wrote: »

I agree. Also, I struggle to taste the difference between Coke and Pepsi. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Dolbert wrote: »
    Wilberto wrote: »
    I agree. Also, I struggle to taste the difference between Coke and Pepsi. :eek:
    What is wrong with you people? Next you'll be telling me that there's no difference between Chef and Heinz tomato sauce :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

There's a huge difference between coke and pepsi! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

If your phone is not set to silent in general public the ringtone is going to make you look like a fupping Muppet to everyone else if it is left ring for more than 5.00 seconds. Well I say so myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Links234 wrote: »
    There's a huge difference between coke and pepsi! :eek:
    The same applies to Fanta and Club Orange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Don't get me started on pubs/bars that don't stock Lucozade. Then they try to pawn that cheap-ass Club Energise bollocks off on you. Stick it where the sun don't shine, Pedro..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

UFC is shíte. People paid a bloody fortune to go in and watch that, and the main fight was over in like 2 minutes. For jaysus sake. I stuck it on the telly out of interest.

Fúck that. Give me a good, old fashioned boxing match any day of the week.

UFC is bullshít.

EDIT: also, to add this. That Brazilian that McGregor was fighting couldn't kick snow off a rope. So was a bit pointless, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

DazMarz wrote: »
    UFC is shíte. People paid a bloody fortune to go in and watch that, and the main fight was over in like 2 minutes. For jaysus sake. I stuck it on the telly out of interest.

Fúck that. Give me a good, old fashioned boxing match any day of the week.

UFC is bullshít.

Boxing can be over that quickly as well. There was an undercard, so the crowd did get to see a bit of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

For me, its rocket science how there are still people who don't support LBGT rights. To say a gay person shouldn't be allowed love or have children (by adoption or however artificial means) is like saying an individual with Asperger's shouldn't be allowed to own a house. Its a denial of basic human rights based on unchangeable characteristics.

Part of the reason our world is so interesting is because of the intricacies of humanity, and the fact it fosters all kinds, different sexualities, different abilities and talents, different skin colors, the list is endless. And I say all this as a straight man, the less homogeneous life is, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

karaokeman wrote: »
    For me, its rocket science how there are still people who don't support LBGT rights. To say a gay person shouldn't be allowed love or have children (by adoption or however artificial means) is like saying an individual with Asperger's shouldn't be allowed to own a house. Its a denial of basic human rights based on unchangeable characteristics.

Part of the reason our world is so interesting is because of the intricacies of humanity, and the fact it fosters all kinds, different sexualities, different abilities and talents, different skin colors, the list is endless. And I say all this as a straight man, the less homogeneous life is, the better.

You couldn't have picked a worse analogy. At the moment in Ireland there are a number of laws affecting people with intellectual disabilities, but there is a Bill recently published by the Oireachtas which still denies people with intellectual disabilities their basic human rights -

"Assisted Decision-Making (Capacity) Bill 2013"

In the definition of ‘capacity’ provided in section 3 of the Bill, if a person is found to lack mental capacity, based on a functional assessment, this can be used as a basis for denying her legal capacity (ultimately through the appointment of others to make decisions on her behalf). In effect, decisions made by a person who lacks ‘mental capacity’ will not have legal force in the same way that a decision (such as to marry, to enter into a contract, to consent or refuse medical treatment) that a person who is deemed to have mental capacity will be respected by the law.

This appears to exempt a large portion of existing laws from the impact of new Bill – which is disappointing, as many of these existing laws apply more restrictive approaches to capacity which would not be compliant with Article 12 of the UN Convention. One particular concern is section 5 of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 1993, which in effect, criminalises sexual intercourse with a person with ‘mentally impaired’ persons – regardless of whether or not the person gave free and informed consent. While it may not be possible to address all the many areas of law which touch upon legal capacity in the present Bill, it would be important for government to commit to a process of reforming these crucial areas – especially since Article 12 of the UN Convention makes clear that persons must enjoy legal capacity ‘in all areas of life.’

Source: Human Rights Ireland

Effectively, not only are people on the ASD spectrum denied the right to own property, they are also denied the right to a healthy and fulfilling sex life. Even LGBT persons aren't denied those rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Czarcasm wrote: »
    You couldn't have picked a worse analogy. At the moment in Ireland there are a number of laws affecting people with intellectual disabilities, but there is a Bill recently published by the Oireachtas which still denies people with intellectual disabilities their basic human rights -

Effectively, not only are people on the ASD spectrum denied the right to own property, they are also denied the right to a healthy and fulfilling sex life. Even LGBT persons aren't denied those rights.

I have Aspergers and my girlfriend is pregnant are we going to jail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    I have Aspergers and my girlfriend is pregnant are we going to jail?

I don't make the laws, but I hope you'll understand when I say I'm in no position to comment on your personal circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Czarcasm wrote: »

Sure, the law might be in place but that doesn't make it justified. 95% of people I know agree that people on the Autistic spectrum should be granted those rights assuming they have proven themselves capable of all duties associated with possessing those assets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement