Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Rhianna is an awful looking yoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Westlife were actually good, some nice covered chunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

So leave.

And we all go to Connaught? I think that has been suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Mash potato is nasty too, glorified baby food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

e_e wrote: »
    Mash potato is nasty too, glorified baby food.

Used to hate mashed potatoes myself when I was younger but my nanny overheard me saying "I hate mashed potato" to my parents one day at dinnertime, then Nanny says "Sure they are going to be mashed in your mouth anyway no matter what way ya like em"...That shut me up at the time, had no come back

Love a roast potato myself. Best way to cook a potato hands down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Used to hate mashed potatoes myself when I was younger but my nanny overheard me saying "I hate mashed potato" to my parents one day at dinnertime, then Nanny says "Sure they are going to be mashed in your mouth anyway no matter what way ya like em"...That shut me up at the time, had no come back

Jaysus, that's disgusting. :eek:

Neeson wrote: »
    Jaysus, that's disgusting. :eek:

Well it sort of makes sense, like there is no difference between mashed potato when its being chewed compared to say a boiled potato when you're eating it. But there would be a difference in the roast potato or fried when it comes to taste and texture etc.

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Well it sort of makes sense, like there is no difference between mashed potato when its being chewed compared to say a boiled potato when you're eating it.

There kind of would be a difference. I'd rather eat a mashed potato than one which has been chewed up by someone else and covered in their saliva and whatever else is in their mouth. Especially old people's mouths. That's just eww.

Neeson wrote: »
    There kind of would be a difference. I'd rather eat a mashed potato than one which has been chewed up by someone else and covered in their saliva and whatever else is in their mouth. Especially old people's mouths. That's just eww.

I didn't say she was chewing them she said "Sure they are going to be mashed in your mouth anyway no matter what way ya like them"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

MJ23 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say this is an unpopular opinion, i heard Ronan Keatings new song yesterday , and its crap, just like all of his stuff. Crap songs, sang by that boring git. Go away Ronan, no one cares. Just release that crap in Japan where they love it. Stop polluting the airwaves with your terrible songs and annoying stupid voice.

People like crap in a lot of countries. They also like a lot of good stuff over in Japan, too. Indie, Prog, electronica, dub, dance. The Tower Record Store in Tokyo is one of the best I've ever visited. :)

But yes, Ronan would not be my cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

They created a situation that caused the division of the country and the division within the NI state. Inclusivity programs help to fix the problems that caused the conflict.

Which tax payers in the UK causes this situation :confused:

On that point Japanese movies and music are often better than what the Irish/British dish out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

much of what I post on boards - i keeping threatening myself to leave , one day i will

What is this, what am I doing here, I get the feeling I don't belong, this is not my universe. What could this feeling be,,,,,,,,,,,Holy sh1t ,,I know,,, this is impossible, but its true

I AM A DOUBLE POST.

Its cool to say "I don't go by the critics" but I do. I watch the View and midnight review every week, if a film scores less the 7.3 on the imdb I will not go and see it.

But sometimes they get it grossly wrong, there are a number of flops that got slammed by the critics which I later seen and I thought they were good to brilliant. Here are some of my list. All these films flopped and got slammed.

Superman Returns
    Sunshine
    John Carter
    The Chronicles of Riddick
    Battlefield Earth
    Killing Bono

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Colmustard wrote: »
    Its cool to say "I don't go by the critics" but I do. I watch the View and midnight review every week, if a film scores less the 7.3 on the imdb I will not go and see it.

But sometimes they get it grossly wrong, there are a number of flops that got slammed by the critics which I later seen and I thought they were good to brilliant. Here are some of my list. All these films flopped and got slammed.

Superman Returns
    Sunshine
    John Carter
    Battlefield Earth
    Killing Bono

I really don't go by the critics. Especially with the emergence of meta-criticism. That kind of thing discourages honest reviews and promotes conformity. People want to be avoid being the odd critic out on Rotten Tomatoes. My mind was really sealed on this recently with The Avengers - a inexplicably over-rated vacuous toy advert. Soulless CGI fest. The first reviewer to rate it poorly for having no character development or story sustained massive levels of abuse.

For the Dark Knight Rises, there were even death threats. On top of that, some reviewers know what and when to applaud when it comes to guaranteed free seats etc.

I will say though that to this day, I still trust Roger Ebert. There's a man who will defend what should be defended.

Border-Rat wrote: »
    I really don't go by the critics. Especially with the emergence of meta-criticism. That kind of thing discourages honest reviews and promotes conformity. People want to be avoid being the odd critic out on Rotten Tomatoes. My mind was really sealed on this recently with The Avengers - a inexplicably over-rated vacuous toy advert. Soulless CGI fest. The first reviewer to rate it poorly for having no character development or story sustained massive levels of abuse.

For the Dark Knight Rises, there were even death threats. On top of that, some reviewers know what and when to applaud when it comes to guaranteed free seats etc.

I will say though that to this day, I still trust Roger Ebert. There's a man who will defend what should be defended.

I thought the avengers was OK but not a 9 as it is on the IMDB, I think I rated it 7. I did like the Batman film, but I hated the last one which every other critic loved it.

I go to the pictures at least 3 times a month, its a lot of money and time to fork out on crap, so the critics is all I can go by. The IMDB is good because you can read the best user reviews and the worst. The bad reviews ironically is what steers me.

The new Spiderman was a horrendous film 7.6 so was the hunger games 7.4 on the IMDB, if only I read the bad reviews for those films.

Mark Kemode IMO is the best film critic, he always directs me well especially to foreign films.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Superman Returns
    Sunshine
    John Carter
    Battlefield Earth
    Killing Bono

In fairness.. Battlefield Earth really did suck donkey balls :pac:

The last batman was sh|te alright.

In fairness.. Battlefield Earth really did suck donkey balls :pac:

I thought it was good, I could't careless if mister Scientology wrote it. But I am a SciFI head and we are so desperate for scifi we are easilly pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

On that point Japanese movies and music are often better than what the Irish/British dish out.

and korean movies/music are better than japanese :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I thought it was good, I could't careless if mister Scientology wrote it. But I am a SciFI head and we are so desperate for scifi we are easilly pleased.

i liked the first five thousand pages

and korean movies/music are better than japanese :)
    Great country for cinema indeed. Nowhere near as many great pre 2000 Korean movies as there are from Japan though. :)

Great country for cinema indeed. Nowhere near as many great pre 2000 Korean movies as there are from Japan though. :)

Definitely Oldboy is one of my favourite all time films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Gotta say, batman 3 was a massive letdown for me. I really enjoyed the first two but I just found this one to be fairly boring.
    The distinct lack of batman actually on screen was annoying, there were large parts of the film where I had to remind myself I was watching a batman film and not a cop movie starring Gary oldman and Joseph Gordon-Levitt trying to stop some terrorists.

Banes voice was ridiculous, I struggled throughout to fathom why exactly catwoman was in the film at all and caught myself falling asleep at least twice.

As for the avengers comment, no character development?!
    Each character bar Hawkeye had their own individual movies leading up to the avengers! What more do you need?! Brilliant film, I wanted a dumb, action filled CGI fest and the avengers delivered it in spades.

First time I've enjoyed a marvel film over a batman film too.

Batman begins was better than the dark knight.

Gotta say, batman 3 was a massive letdown for me. I really enjoyed the first two but I just found this one to be fairly boring.
    The distinct lack of batman actually on screen was annoying, there were large parts of the film where I had to remind myself I was watching a batman film and not a cop movie starring Gary oldman and Joseph Gordon-Levitt trying to stop some terrorists.

Banes voice was ridiculous, I struggled throughout to fathom why exactly catwoman was in the film at all and caught myself falling asleep at least twice.

As for the avengers comment, no character development?!
    Each character bar Hawkeye had their own individual movies leading up to the avengers! What more do you need?! Brilliant film, I wanted a dumb, action filled CGI fest and the avengers delivered it in spades.

First time I've enjoyed a marvel film over a batman film too.

I actually thought Catwoman was the best part of that film, a new take on her, more earthly and real, the cat woman like the girl next door.

The script was a bit moronic in places but it rose to a nice crescendo. The 15 minute of future franchise feeding at the end was very annoying.

But in general I thought it was a good film, the best i seen this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I actually thought Catwoman was the best part of that film, a new take on her, more earthly and real, the cat woman like the girl next door.

The script was a bit moronic in places but it rose to a nice crescendo. The 15 minute of future franchise feeding at the end was very annoying.

But in general I thought it was a good film, the best i seen this year.

I had and have nothing against Catwoman, I thought the character was handled well and Anne Hathaway did a good job. My point was I couldn't see why she was even there in the first place. She was just...there. Why? Why now, 8 whole years since Bruce became Batman and he's already past it? I dunno.

Also, the Joker. Not a single mention of him. You mean to tell me he's been locked up in AA for the past 8 years? Batman's number 1 nemesis? The star of the second film?
    Heath Ledger may be dead but Joseph Gordon Levitt should have played him.

Sure, people would've whinged about it. Remember all the sandy vaginas when it was revealed who was the new Joker? Remember how quickly all the whinging was silenced? I do. Joseph is not unlike Heath and is just as talented an actor. I reckon he would've pulled it off and that Heath would have given his blessing too.

Long story short I think Mr Nolan disappeared up his own hole a long time ago.

Definitely Oldboy is one of my favourite all time films.
    Have you seen the other 2 in the trilogy, Sympathy For Mr Vengeance and Lady Vengeance? They're all first class!

...and Memories of Murder and A Bittersweet Life are brilliant too.

• Advertisement

Have you seen the other 2 in the trilogy, Sympathy For Mr Vengeance and Lady Vengeance? They're all first class!

...and Memories of Murder and A Bittersweet Life are brilliant too.

Yes seen them, Lady Vengeance is excellent,
    I particularly remember Yeong-ae Lee (IMDB) she is one sexy woman.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement