Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Die Hard with a vengeance Q

Options
  • 26-07-2002 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

(yes, I do know it's on TV at the moment, it's part of the reason I'm asking the question)

I've noticed a few subtle differences between the version on TV and the version I have on DVD - such in the lift scene where the blood sprays on McClanes face on RTE but not on the DVD I have.

I have the newer 2-DVD release (123 minutes - longer then the standard old DVD which was only 120)

Question is fairly simple and in two parts:

1. Does anyone out there have the 2CD collecters edition, purchased in the UK (NOT in Ireland) or from somewhere like play.com?

2. If so, how long is the movie as reported on the back case?

The longest Irish release is 123 minutes, yet play.com and Amazon both list the version they sell as 135. I'm basically wondering if this is a mistake or whether the Irish DVD release was cut a little (which based on what I can see on TV it was) or a lot. I've not seen any DVD on sale here that's longer than the 123 minutes.

(as an aside, the Hong Kong cinema release was a whopping 148 minutes)

Thanks to anyone who can shed light on the above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Can't directlly answer your question, but I can give some background which may be useful:

There were three different release of DHWAV in the UK:

1. Cut airline version (prob. 120mins)
    2. Repressing of (1) with regular cut (28s missing) UK version. Same packaging (so it probably says 120mins on the back, even though its longer)
    3. Special Edition, 12s cut.

The UK versions are the same as the Irish releases in all three cases (BV don't release the uncut European versions in Ireland when the UK version has been cut :( )

Interesting that the online stores are quoting 135 mins for the UK version. This is definitely incorrect, as the US version is only 130mins. With PAL spedup taken into account, that runs about....123mins.

Acutally, that's not very interesting at all, now I think about it.... ;)

As regards RTE, they were probably just showing the uncut version, as it wasn't cut by the Irish censor.

Hope that's useful

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Is it true there is an alternative ending to DHWAV on the recent DVD release?

If so, what is it?? (Use a spoiler tag or PM me!)

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thanks hudson - looks like I've the longest version I can get without going for Region 1 based on your (fairly extensive) information - I can cope with 12s missing (I'm guessing it's limited to the bit in the lift which I mentioned and the bit where the security guard gets that sickle in his back)

Dave, indeed, there's an alternative ending on the second disc. They've not done that spit and polish on it that they do to make movies look nice and shiny (anyone who has seen the improvement in the pic quality for the Holy Grail DVD will know what I've explained badly) so the scene looks dark and unprocessed (but better than many deleted scenes on DVDs) - it basically runs something like
    It's a few months after the events we've seen. Simon has gotten away, the gold is missing, the NYPD believe that McClane had something to do with the heist so he's lost his job. He's tracked Simon down from the label on the apirin bottle to a town in Europe. The gold, it turns out, has been smuggled out as models of the Empire State building after being melted down. McClane has a bazooka with him with the sights filed off so that it's impossible to tell which end is which. They play a game of chicken/russian roulette with the bazooka, asking each other puzzles until Simon can't answer one. Pressing the trigger, Simon gets blown away by the bazooka. McClane walks out after the inevitable "yippee kayay motherfúcker"

The actual movie ending was far better imho - the alternate ending is too slow and doesn't have any action at all, even if it preserves the puzzle-solving theme of the movie. Wouldn't have worked - it being an action movie, not a Merchant Ivory production

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Must say, the alternate ending really sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I have the DVD, but i cant find the bloomin alternate ending. Help ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by plastic membrane
    I have the DVD, but i cant find the bloomin alternate ending. Help ?

Pop in the second disc, click "commentary" Click "on" for the scene with directors commentary, "off" without. Scene starts automatically. Why they had to call it "Commentary" rather than "Alternate Ending" is beyond me.

While you're at it, leave in the second disc. Click on "Interview and Profile" Press the left button on your remote control until the "exit" sign is highlighted. Click "return" for a not-so-hilarious outtake/gag reel.

Advertisement