Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the worst area in dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Clondalkin- Yeah agree- I forgot to mention Clondalkin.

Regarding Cavan- Yeah- This post is about Dublin Scum but most people would agree that country scum are generally harder and scarier than Dublin scum.- They are to me anyways! But Im a Dublinner ;)

I have a lot of friends from Cavan and was down there a while back and, no offence but, the town is full of fcuking retards who watch too much jackass.

And the older of the young people, those of about 22-28 are just clicky and clannish, they have lots of crap in-jokes and red neck slang phrases. Its completely alien to a friendly city person like me who welcomes new people to the group rather than make them feel like an leper.

Apart from studenty campus areas in Dublin, Cavan is the only place in the country where its still cool to put street cones on your head when youre pissed.

So basically, apart from a couple of nice people I know from Cavan, I would say FCUK CAVAN.

I know this is a typical Dublinner point of view- but I love Galway, Wexford and Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Cat O'Nine Tail

I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned St.Michaels Estate in Inchicore. Never been there, and by all accounts, I'm glad I never have been.

I used to live in Tallaght, up in Cushlawn Park, and that's pretty rough. Finglas isn't too bad, but then again, the area where I visit is where my family lives, and I'm fairly well known, so I don't get hassled.

Temple Bar on a Friday/Saturday night is a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Clondalkin is the scariest place I've ever been.

• Site Banned Posts: 159 ✭✭Drummer

Bard wrote:
    Difficult question. I'd have to go for the area between Donaghmede on the north and Dalkey on the south. I know that's pretty specific, but there you go.

Isn't the area between Donaghmede and Dalkey, more commonly referred to as Dublin Bay ?

What a bout Dunsink - thats a dump !!!

I am from a certain area, which is considered to be part of the greater Tallaght area, and for years we have referred to those of "who are clothing-style challenged" and those with "a nasal accent" as Shams.

Recently, these same kinds have been spotted in the UK, and are now labelled Chavs. Why dont we refer to them as we always did (Shams), which is more appropriate.

I find that the rough areas in Finglas tend to go between the West and the South-anyone here remember the Filthy Fifty? And there's certain areas in Ballymun that even people who live there don't like, Balcurris being the main one. It wasn't called 'The Bronx' or 'Beirut' by the locals for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

So, overall we're saying the northside then. I'll agree with that. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

My BF is from the Wheatfield area of Bray, just down the road from the Oldtown estate.

It's actually Oldcourt.....used to be known as white city when i was growing up....rough as **** but much nicer now that many people have actually bought their own houses in there.

Problem area has moved across the road from Wheatfield actually.....sometimes mounted police and helicopters are needed for that estate...bunch of settled travellers is the problem....

I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned St.Michaels Estate in Inchicore. Never been there, and by all accounts, I'm glad I never have been.

It's not so bad anymore....they've moved most people out and are in the process of knocking the ****hole down ;)

Temple Bar on a Friday/Saturday night
    i dont fcuking think so.
    So, overall we're saying the northside then.
    youre the first person whos brought that oldschool ns/ss crap up- get over it u sap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

CHAV

Council
    House
    Agressive
    Verman

Or somethimng close. It comes from the UK where many councils provide housing. Usual garb is a tracksuit, burbury cap and cheap gold jewlery. You know what they look like.

That's nonsense
    Urban British slang shows an increasing level of Romany influence, with some words becoming accepted into the lexicon of standard English (for example, chav from Anglo-Romany charvy meaning either "baby" or "mate" depending on context). The abandonment of their traditional nomadic lifestyle by many gypsies, largely due to government policy over the last 30 years, is likely to be the motor for this process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romany_language
    It is now believed that these people left Northwest India around 1000 AD. In the Punjab Region, during the 11th and 12th centuries, wars erupted. The region was being invaded by Afghanistan and this led to many years of turmoil. In the end, the Afghans won a major battle. This split the Roma into three different groups, according to Dr. Jan Kochanowski, a Gypsy scholar who is himself a Gypsy. Two of these stayed in the Punjab region, scattered about and no longer whole. The third group set off across Afghanistan and toward Europe. They called themselves Romane Chave, which translates to "the sons of Roma". Due to their cunning, the crossing through the country of their enemy was not as fatal as it could have been. There were two warring factions at the time: the Shiites and the Sunnites. To insure their safety, the Romane Chave told the Shiites that they were being pursued by the Sunnites, when in Shiite territory. When elbow to elbow with the Sunnites, they told them the opposite. This cunning allowed them to cross a hostile region with little harm.

http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Article/153993

• Advertisement

womoma wrote:
    youre the first person whos brought that oldschool ns/ss crap up- get over it u sap.

Sap?? Is the the pinnacle of your intellect my man? Sap is a northside insult isn't it? Back to your caravan lad, your shell suit needs washing in the sink, study hard and you can live on the southside some day... maybe.

yawn.. kernal everyone hates scumbags- but you come across as a stuck up twat with a chip on your shoulder and that is equally as unpopular.
    Needless to say I dont live in a caravan and im sure there are plenty of Southsiders who would call you a sap too. the ns/ss thing is so boring .. get over it -
    People here are talking about places in Dublin which are kippy, that doesnt mean you have to be a snobby ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Ballsbridge

womoma wrote:
    yawn.. kernal everyone hates scumbags- but you come across as a stuck up twat with a chip on your shoulder and that is equally as unpopular.
    Needless to say I dont live in a caravan and im sure there are plenty of Southsiders who would call you a sap too. the ns/ss thing is so boring .. get over it -
    People here are talking about places in Dublin which are kippy, that doesnt mean you have to be a snobby ****.

I'm not a snob, I'm pointing out that most of the ****ty areas people are talking about are on the northside, and I happen to agree with that, being a man about town.

No southsider over the age of 13 would call me a sap, some of the kids talk like that, but usually everyone thinks I'm a cool ****er.

Look out your window, see that horse eating your grass in the front garden? That's the northside brother.

;) :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

This is the sort of thing we used to talk about when we were 14 and yet here on this forum you have adults talking about the exact same thing :rolleyes: does anyone really care..for the record id have to say Tallaght..ive never seen as many junkies and undesirables in 1 area as i have out there..shocking.......... :D

Kernel wrote:
    I'm not a snob, I'm pointing out that most of the ****ty areas people are talking about are on the northside, and I happen to agree with that, being a man about town.

No southsider over the age of 13 would call me a sap, some of the kids talk like that, but usually everyone thinks I'm a cool ****er.

Look out your window, see that horse eating your grass in the front garden? That's the northside brother.

;) :cool:

I can think of plenty of ****ty places on the Southside.

Tallaght, Clondalkin, Ballyfermot(up around Cherry Orchard), Fatima Mansions, Oliver Bond, Temple Bar, parts of the Liberties, parts of Bray and Shankill, parts of Ballybrack, Crumlin, Pearse Street.

I'm a Northsider, and proud of it. And yes, we do have rough areas , but the Southside isn't paradise. Your scumbags aren't any better than the scum we have on this side of the city.

I'm a Northsider, and proud of it. And yes, we do have rough areas , but the Southside isn't paradise. Your scumbags aren't any better than the scum we have on this side of the city.

You think Ballymun is a lovely area, so forgive me if I disregard your statement.

;)

Actually, yes, I do. Like I've said before, I live here, you obviously don't. No, we don't have horses running up and down the road. Yes, we can walk around safely at night. Why shouldn't I think where I live is nice.

BTW, where do you live? Surely if it's so lovely, you'd be glad to share the information with us.

kernal why are you calling me "man" and "brother"? you think youre from america? thats another sign of a stuck up ****. you have a chip on your shoulder - its pathetic.

Jonny - you have a point- especially considering the sheer scale of it in Tallaght. I wish the smack problem was handled a bit better in Dublin. I was held up in my old job [wexford street] a few years ago by a hammer wielding junkie. He destroyed the shop and threatened to kill me. I managed to escape out the side door while he was upstairs kicking down the office door. I found a squad car thank god and
    a few cops took him away and basically wrote a statement for me. The cop guarenteed the Junkie would be goin to jail but 3 days later the junkie came back with his mate to stab me and I was lucky to escape.
    I had to leave the job.
    Junkies terrorise people and seem to get away with murder, while the rest of us decent people in the majority are made **** ourselves that we'll be put in jail for downloading a Paddy Casey song. This country is ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

womoma wrote:
    a few cops took him away and basically wrote a statement for me. The cop guarenteed the Junkie would be goin to jail but 3 days later the junkie came back with his mate to stab me and I was lucky to escape.
    I had to leave the job.

That's f-ing disgraceful

But it's not the cop's fault he was out again - it's the courts with their "poor little scumbag, it's society's fault not his" attitudes again

If it was up to me he'd have ended up chained to a wall at the bottom of a deep pit

• Advertisement

womoma wrote:
    kernal why are you calling me "man" and "brother"? you think youre from america? thats another sign of a stuck up ****. you have a chip on your shoulder - its pathetic.

Ehhh.. if I use the word 'man' or 'brother' it means I think I'm from america, I'm stuck up and have a chip on my shoulder? No man, I use whatever words I like to, and I don't have a chip on my shoulder. You have the chip, coz as soon as I mentioned the northside/southside thing you went into spasm mode! It's not my fault your side of the city is inferior. lol. :D:D:D:D

Cat O' Nine Tails, I'm from Walkinstown. Hasn't been mentioned as a bad area by anyone here, and indeed it isn't. Nice and safe, great place to bring up the kids. Unlike Ballymun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

womoma wrote:

Jonny - you have a point- especially considering the sheer scale of it in Tallaght. I wish the smack problem was handled a bit better in Dublin. I was held up in my old job [wexford street] a few years ago by a hammer wielding junkie. He destroyed the shop and threatened to kill me. I managed to escape out the side door while he was upstairs kicking down the office door. I found a squad car thank god and
    I had to leave the job.
    Junkies terrorise people and seem to get away with murder, while the rest of us decent people in the majority are made **** ourselves that we'll be put in jail for downloading a Paddy Casey song. This country is ****ed.

Whoah :eek: sorry to hear that mate...ive no sympathy thesedays for junkies,there`s NO EXCUSES thesedays for getting addicted to hard drugs,lock them all away i say and let them go cold turkey until they are finished with the crap.... :mad:

I have three kids, aged 11, 6, and 4. All attend a good local school, can come and go to school, shops, wherever in Ballymun, and not have a hand laid on them. I can let them out to play in a playground right in front of the block of flats that I live in, and nothing happens to them. All three children are happy, well mannered children, and my 11 year old has never once been in any serious trouble with anyone. In fact, most kids in Ballymun are like that.

It's sanctimonius snobs like you that look down on Ballymun, simply because you've heard stories about what a ****hole it is. I'll admit, there are some places that are worse than others, but overall, the 'Mun isn't such a bad place. Maybe you should come out and visit it one day, and see for yourself.

It's sanctimonius snobs like you that look down on Ballymun, simply because you've heard stories about what a ****hole it is. I'll admit, there are some places that are worse than others, but overall, the 'Mun isn't such a bad place. Maybe you should come out and visit it one day, and see for yourself.

Listen, I know about Ballymun, I've worked with people from there, and gone through it many times, and it's a kip. Maybe it is not a kip now, it's been a couple of years since I was up there, but I find it hard to believe that it is any better. There's no smoke without fire, and there's a reason why Ballymun is notorious for being a dodgy part of Dublin.

I'm not a snob, I just wouldn't want my kids growing up alongside junkies, joy riders and 'low-expectation havin' mofos' (to quote Chris Rock). I would want them to have every chance in life, I'm glad your kids turned out well, but many from that area don't.

At the end of the day : There's a reason that houses in some areas are more expensive than others.

Kernal - I bet you get under peoples skin all the time.
    I'm not a snob, I just wouldn't want my kids growing up alongside junkies, joy riders
    Nobody does. Your origional coment about the Northside can only be described as snobby.

Ooh walkinstown- not exactly beverly hills.

Youre very cocky and annoying. We all know Ballymun has plenty of problems but youre being a smarmy git so I think you should shut the fcuk up and stop trying to wind people up.

Just so you know I live in a 5 bedroom house in Glasnevin, off Griffith Avenue, in one of the most sought after locations in Dublin, but I dont go round being a smug git like you.

The ns/ss thing is so dated and boring only old school muppets like you being it up.

This post is supposd to be talking about kippy parts of Dublin.

Theres a big difference in saying:
    "youre best off avoiding Darndale"
    and saying
    "ya the Northside is a kip, Im from Walkinstown man youre all so bloody downright uneducated" [thats the vibe youre giving]

Im not gonna humour you any more d1ckhead.

tbh i wouldn't live anywhere on the Luas Red Line.... ;)

No part of Dublin is really that bad. Anytime anyone gets attacked it is usually cos of something they have done. Such as, steal from someone, harmed someones family or basically just one gang looking for trouble off another. Aswell as gangland stuff, where its not just an innocent victim.

Otherwise, i wouldnt be afraid to walk through most areas in Dublin. The only place id be afraid of is Ballymun. A friend of mine was out there for his Grans funeral, as he is originally from there. His motorbike was stolen from outside the church and when he and his father tried to get it off the people who took it, they attacked them with bricks. Now, if someone from the area cant even go there untouched, then what hope is there for strangers. Kip if u ask me.

In addition, all the usual suspects, i have no problems with being in - like Tallaght, Pearse Street, The Liberties & Clondalkin.

No part of Dublin is really that bad. Anytime anyone gets attacked it is usually cos of something they have done. Such as, steal from someone, harmed someones family or basically just one gang looking for trouble off another. Aswell as gangland stuff, where its not just an innocent victim.

Otherwise, i wouldnt be afraid to walk through most areas in Dublin. The only place id be afraid of is Ballymun. A friend of mine was out there for his Grans funeral, as he is originally from there. His motorbike was stolen from outside the church and when he and his father tried to get it off the people who took it, they attacked them with bricks. Now, if someone from the area cant even go there untouched, then what hope is there for strangers. Kip if u ask me.

In addition, all the usual suspects, i have no problems with being in - like Tallaght, Pearse Street, The Liberties & Clondalkin and even Dolphins Barn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

FORTLAWN in Blanchardstown: i shall tell ye a tale. i drove my car in right into the middle of fortlwn as i heard a rumour some guy was selling cheap runners there , i couldnt find the street i was luckin for so i decided to leave my car in the middle and walk around a bit, 2 minutes later i seen 2guys approaching me but i couldnt just turn around and run as they spotted me already , 1 had a machette and was dead set on stabbing the **** out of me , without any questions... lucky his mate pulled him back , took the knife off him and put it into his pocket , he wanted my wallet so and was pointin the knife in my face , i pretended i wasforeign & lookin for a house to rent there, ...he then said "ahh sodrry , bud....welcome to the neighbourhood"...and gave me directions to a lovely house up for let, so i got away , next i had to go back in to get my car and i could see a bunch of scangers gathering at it from a distance, i decided , if its my day to die , then i will , so i walked up and there 2 were on my bonnet and 3 against the door drinkin , walked straight up , and said ' do ya mind bud ' and he stepped away, man got away luck that time.

• Advertisement

womoma wrote:
    Kernal - I bet you get under peoples skin all the time.

Youre very cocky and annoying. We all know Ballymun has plenty of problems but youre being a smarmy git so I think you should shut the fcuk up and stop trying to wind people up.

Just so you know I live in a 5 bedroom house in Glasnevin, off Griffith Avenue, in one of the most sought after locations in Dublin, but I dont go round being a smug git like you.

The ns/ss thing is so dated and boring only old school muppets like you being it up.

This post is supposd to be talking about kippy parts of Dublin.

Im not gonna humour you any more d1ckhead.

That post is so stupid and immature I don't know where to start... hmmmm..
    Looks like I've hit a nerve eh? Well, if you do well in life, you can afford your own house (not your mammys and daddies') and move away from Ballymun/Glasnevin, but you need to adjust your attitude to fit into respectable society mister. I don't know if it's acceptable to go around calling people d1ckheads on this forum, but it's frowned upon south o' the liffey.

Typical northside aggression and stupidity in the comments.. probably fuelled by drinking the 2 litre of cider and not getting enough hash today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement