Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping on Inis Mor?

• 22-04-2014 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

I know this isn't specifically a Galway City forum topic but I cant think of a more suitable forum where I may get a answer. So if the Mod's could leave it open here until I get a response or two I'd be very appreciative!

Basically there is a group of about 10 of us who want to spend at night on Inis Mor and I'm wondering if there are any official camping sites out there?

Thanks MG.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Private Joker

http://www.aranisland.info/accommodation/

there is a campsite on the island. enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

http://www.aranisland.info/accommodation/

there is a campsite on the island. enjoy.

Ah thanks for the link. My searching was just bringing me to a different general Aran Islands information site that didn't have any mention of a camp site.

Does anyone know if there are at least some manner of facilities at this camp site, as opposed it being just a field on the side of a hill with a tap nailed to a gate post.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

It's been a couple of years since I've been there, but the campsite used to have toilets and basic washing facilities. You could always give them a call and ask them yourself - the phone number is in the above mentioned link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

mike_ie wrote: »
    It's been a couple of years since I've been there, but the campsite used to have toilets and basic washing facilities. You could always give them a call and ask them yourself - the phone number is in the above mentioned link.

I'm nearly sure it's basic loo and shower. 'Wild' camping isn't really an option on Inis Mór, unless you know a farmer well. If you don't bring grub/camping stove, you'll be eating in the pubs which isn't cheap. Supermacs is now open though!:p
    Seriously, shop is well stocked and usually has bbq stuff too.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

inisboffin wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure it's basic loo and shower. 'Wild' camping isn't really an option on Inis Mór, unless you know a farmer well. If you don't bring grub/camping stove, you'll be eating in the pubs which isn't cheap. Supermacs is now open though!:p
    Seriously, shop is well stocked and usually has bbq stuff too.

Sounds about right - it's been a few years since I was there - Inis Oírr is more my cup of tea TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some older threads
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055625939
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86656315

Just note that wild camping (in case you were thinking of going wild :D) isn't ok without landowners permission, you can ask around in the pubs and see.

City->County

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭ Isaac Full Fax

I was there at the weekend and yes, campsite is still there!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

Inis Óirr has a much better campsite with hot showers right next to a nice beach. At least it did a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

I was there at the weekend and yes, campsite is still there!

Isaac Full Fax you didn't perhaps get a gander at the facilities available at the campsite did you?

I'm just wondering what level of preparedness I need to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Hey guys, what about inisheer . Cant find anything online to camping there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

Riamfada wrote: »

Inis Óirr (inisheer)has a much better campsite with hot showers right next to a nice beach. At least it did a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 17 topaz1978

Riamfada wrote: »

There is no official website for the camp-site on Inisheer, but there is most definitely one there as we camped there the last two years in a row. No need to book, you just hop off the ferry turn to the left walk over to the beach and right behind the beach is the camp-site. You put up your tent and the guy who's in charge will call around to collect money from you each day you stay there. There are showers, toilets, washing machine and dryer. Showers are solar powered so no need to pay but you kind of only get the water hot in the evenings after the sun has shone on the panels. The toilets are not the cleanest but it's not so bad I suppose, because the island itself is nice and the people are nice. They will look after you if you are respectful of them and their island as they are very protective of it and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Thats fantastic, thanks guys. I think Ill head out on Sunday for a spot of photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lorraine_C

Hi All,

I will be going to Inis Mor for the Cliff Diving Champs 14. Can anyone recommend the best place to camp for this? I've tried googling official sites, but there is no website and the contact number for the campsite I tried didn't work?

Also, I want to make sure I camp somewhere that the nightlife will be good, but I don't have to trek a million miles to get back to the tent.

Thanks.

Lorraine

• Registered Users Posts: 28 robwhit

How was the camping? All B&Bs booked out for Red Bull weekend.

Hi Robwhit,

We are only heading camping for this weekend, but I'm trying to find a place to set up. I found a phone number, but couldn't get through and would like to set up somewhere with facilities i.e. a bathroom. From other posts I think you can nearly set up anywhere, but I don't want to land on some private land and annoy some of the locals either.

On the plus side, the weather looks like it'll hold up well!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

I camped on Inis Mor a couple of years back. I asked for directions and set off. Cycled straight by the site.
    It is basically a small field with a small concrete building that contains toilets and nothing else. its not too far a walk to a pub for food and I recommend doing that.

Hi CdeC,

Thanks a mil - so long as there's bathrooms we'll be happy enough. Did it cost you much to set up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lickiring

Did anyone manage to get through to the campsite owner to book it? I presume that'l be necessary given the weekend that's in it!

Thanks

I've tried the phone number on the accommodation site, but no joy. If all comes to all I read that a couple of the hostels are ok with you setting up shop there for a night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

Lorraine_C wrote: »
    I've tried the phone number on the accommodation site, but no joy. If all comes to all I read that a couple of the hostels are ok with you setting up shop there for a night.

It was about 5-7 euro. Again it was so small I cycled straight by it as there were no tents in it at the time. Just a square field with an old stone wall.

The hostel might be a winner and a bit livelier at night if you can do that.

C

It was nice and easy to find after! Great craic as well with the Cliff Diving on, the place was packed with tents!

Thanks for the help :)

Posting this from the campsite on Inis Mór right now. Campsite is about a mile outside Kilronan - head out towards Tí Joe Watty's, turn right just in front of the pub. Keep going for half a mile and you'll see a field with an old mobile home in it on your left - the field next to it with the toilet block is the campsite.

Amenities are basic - flushing toilets and running water, no showers, and costs €7.50 per person per night. Just pitch your tent when you get in , owner will drop round to collect money at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 redstaar

Hey

A group of 3 are thinking of camping and going out on inismore. Basically two questions. 1 do the pubs close late and would many people camp there we just dont want be 4 tools camping in a field. Or are we beter off going too inis sheer for the craic. Heading there early july.any feed bk woud be great

Regards
    redstaar

Pubs close late but it depends on the day. If you stay in a hotel it's more likely the resident's bar will stay open very late.
    There is proper camping, not luxurious but adequate.

More info
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056713225

Biko thanks very much. We are staying in kilronan hostel what was it like and can you drink inside it cheers. We just didn't know much about campsite. We knew there one there but little info we didn't want be five tools only ones camping. Inissheer is out lovely island but we been there too many times

regards

restaar

The hostel is fine to stay in. I don't think you can drink inside though, it's usually a good thing as it may disturb other guests.
    You can buy a 6pack beforehand and drink outside or down by the harbour. If you're not rowdy and don't litter then it should be ok (no promises).
    Also, ring the hostel and ask.

Havent put dont money on desposit yet wil ring them next and see thanks very much for the info biko

Regards
    redstaar

Advertisement