Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sent the text to the person the text was about

• 11-09-2013 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

So, this just happened to me.
    Only in the form of a facebook message.

I had a little rant about a friend of mine who has been totally flaky and MIA the last while....probably because of her new OH...TO THE FLAKY FRIEND.

So I panicked and followed it up with a whole bunch of apologetic long-winded nonsense and I'm just sitting here waiting for that dreaded little "Seen By Flaky Friend" to appear so the process of absolute mortification can be complete.

Not too bad as far as mis-sent messages go, to be fair.

Anyone have any worse horror stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I received a message just as I opened this thread:o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I've done that loads of times. Just get a new number and never speak to the person again :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Yep. And I will say no more about that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've done that a few times and the aftermath was bad very bad

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I've done that loads of times. Just get a new number and never speak to the person again :pac:

A reasonable approach :pac:

although the last time I sent a message to the wrong person I ended up throwing the phone into the toilet out of panic.
    Eventually took it out, realising I was being stupid and dried it out..started working eventually and as it turned on, what's the first thing that pops up on the screen?

oh yes, those magical words....

Message sending failed.

Never been so happy :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

What you should have done is copied a good chunk of your previous chat log with her then pasted it into chat straight away.That way your comment gets mixed up with all your old comments. She starts reading it then realises I have read this before booom problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

I love looking through those websites where people post embarrassing texts like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Chris Ryan

You could just delete the Facebook message before they see it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

Frape??? Is that still a valid excuse?

Chris Ryan wrote: »

Can you? How?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

what. how!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

good to know deleting the message

op dont worry about it itle probably be a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

tim3000 wrote: »
    What you should have done is copied a good chunk of your previous chat log with her then pasted it into chat straight away.That way your comment gets mixed up with all your old comments. She starts reading it then realises I have read this before booom problem solved

Oh I fookin love that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Never write (type) anything like that down. If you're going to give out about someone do it in such a way that there is no record.

Also, you could say you have an annoying friend who wrote loads of random insulting messages to people. Send something like "fuck you" to people you know (who know your other friend) to make the whole story realistic.

That's actually fairly ingenious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Sent a Willy pic to my friend once by accident. Was meant for a girl I was seeing at the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Always make your texts as ambiguous as possible.

For example.

I was out with Steve the other night and he was trying to dodge rounds as usual the tight bastard.

Ambiguous version.

Was out with the other fella and he was avoiding going to the bar as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I've done that a few times and the aftermath was bad very bad

How, exactly?

I'm sure she knows she's a flake. I just hate the idea that she'll think I was talking behind her back.

In my defence, I introduced her to her OH. Maybe I should mention that fact.

But she'd see the rant-y bitchy messages regardless, and in addition to that, just think I'm fcuking crazy for trying to Copy and Paste a conversation we had like six months ago to cover it.

In any case, too late. Hole has already been dug.

SV wrote: »
    what. how!?

Go to your messages, hold down the one you want to delete and press delete

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

Sent a Willy pic to my friend once by accident. Was meant for a girl I was seeing at the time!

I texted my old boss telling her how much I was looking forward to going down on her .... And it was on a fri evening . Longest wkend I ever put down.monday morning she called me in for a chat and just took the pish.. Was lucky we got in well.., I suppose she's had many a fantasy about it anyway..,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Go to your messages, hold down the one you want to delete and press delete

That just deletes it from your msgs not theirs afaik...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

HOW DOES ONE DO THIS???

I've googled and it doesn't seem possible....

PLEASE HELP

aaakev wrote: »
    That delets it from your screen not theirs afaik...

Surely if they didn't see it, it would disappear from theirs too? If not it seems a bit redundant hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

beks101 wrote: »
    How, exactly?

But she'd see the rant-y bitchy messages regardless, and in addition to that, just think I'm fcuking crazy for trying to Copy and Paste a conversation we had like six months ago to cover it.

Not like 6 months of it just maybe the last 2 or 3 chats ye had its not perfect but something to bare in mind if this kinda thing happens again. It might work in a pinch.

beks101 wrote: »
    How, exactly?

I'm sure she knows she's a flake. I just hate the idea that she'll think I was talking behind her back.

In my defence, I introduced her to her OH. Maybe I should mention that fact.

Look at it this way: maybe it was something she needed to know? Perhaps it was a Freudian Slip...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Surely if they didn't see it, it would disappear from theirs too? If not it seems a bit redundant hahaha

Na its just like deleting an email from your sent box, the person you sent it to still has it

aaakev wrote: »
    Na its just like deleting an email from your sent box, the person you sent it to still has it

Oh well, you're fúcked so OP :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Keith wrote: »
    I love looking through those websites where people post embarrassing texts like this.

Some disturbing stuff in there Keith. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't send nasty messages about people to mutual friends? Why do that? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Won't they still get an email notification containing the message if they have notifications on?

Plus they'll see it anyway.

As a rule I don't really bitch about people by text if they are a contact. Just do it in person if you really have to.

Advertisement