Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New part in car - problem not fixed

Options
  • 30-08-2012 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,

Looking for some feedback from Boards regarding my predicament below:

Last week a warning light came on the dash from the on board computer stating ESP ASR warning, handbrake faulty. The automatic handbrake was not engaging automatically so I had to press it to engage on start up and also I had to engage it manually when parking.

I brough it to my local dealer for a diagnostic and they found it difficult to identify the problem so they kept it for a few extra hours and then came back and diagnosed the EGR valve needed to be replaced and it would cost €800 but it would fix the problem. Agreed to the work on Friday last and then on Monday garage phoned me with bad news that the problem was not fixed because now the ECU needed to be replaced at a cost of €1200. I was flabber gasted to say the least and told them straight out I did not have this cash floating.

If garage had said that the replaced valve may not fix the problem as it might be the ECU at fault I would deffinetly have not agreed to the work being carried out and I would have got a second opinion.

Was given some tripe about process of elimination and some other rubbish and basically got nowhere with them. I now am in a situation where I had to pay up and take the car back with the EGR disconnected and with the same error message showing up in the car. So basically €800 out of pocket after paying for a part that I was told would fix the problem and my problem with the car not fixed.....

Garage offered me €100 off the ECU replacement so €1100 to complete the fix.

Any thoughts on where I might stand here with regards to consumer rights?

Thks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Did you find out if the initial part was actually faulty? Could they have put your old one back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

You should post this on the motors forum, more users with experience of these matters over there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Maybe ask for it to be moved - some issues with cross posting tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What an EGR valve has got to do fixing a handbrake is a mystery to me:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@eqwjewoiujqorj Please do not tell the OP to post in another forum. This can lead to duplicate versions of the same thread, resulting in cleanup from the mods. Instead please use the Report Post function to alert a moderator so that the thread can be moved.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

ejmaztec wrote: »
    What an EGR valve has got to do fixing a handbrake is a mystery to me:confused:

i assume while running error codes faulty EGR popped up... surely they fixed the original fault then informed you about the faulty ERG ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

An EGR fault can have no connection whatsoever to your esp/asr warning and handbrake issue.

This main dealer prossess of elimination tripe is just that. What that means is they couldn't be arsed or don't have the ability to properly diagnose the fault and its much easier for them to just keep replacing parts until the problem goes away....at your great expence of course.:mad:

Advertisement