Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

More teacher bashing, when will it ever end?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    If my son / daughter has a crap teacher, and there are a lot of extremely poor teachers out there, I have no options.
    While there are undoubtedly some bad teachers out there (there people in every job who are bad at it) saying that there are a lot of extremely poor teachers out there without proof is inflammatory. Had you rephrased it and left out 'a lot' it would have come across a lot better. Please choose your language more carefully in future. Thanks.
    Kaner2004 wrote: »
    Tip - Dont try to teach her English.

Commenting on the spelling and grammar of other posters is against the charter. Please do not do so in future.

This thread is yet again, like other threads, descending into petty bickering. It is possible to debate without doing so. This is the first and last warning that everyone will get.

As per the charter:
    Do not reply to moderator warnings on-thread. PM the moderator if you have a problem with a moderator decision.

Surely relevant your honour, if they are telling us how good at teaching they are.
    As per the charter:
    Do not reply to moderator warnings on-thread. PM the moderator if you have a problem with a moderator decision.

I have edited my post to include the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You still didn't answer the question posed to you. Do you know what the allowances are for?

I get an allowance as an Adult Education Co-ordinator. On top of my timetable for teaching, I am responsible for all the administrative duties of our adult education centre: dealing with grant related queries, monitoring attendance and chasing up students about their attendance, exam entries, promotion of courses, responding to queries about courses, a mountain of paperwork, there's loads more but I won't go into it right now. I teach a full timetable.

If I was in the private sector, it wouldn't be called an allowance, it would simply be a larger pay packet for being in a managerial role rather than someone on the office floor.

I don't know many managers that are willing to work for the same amount of money as the people they manage, so realistically I don't see why I should.

Just to add something, your more than likely one of the good teachers that more than likely deservers to be rewarded. Its the minority that we need to get rid, but your unions protect them and then bring ye down!!

I have removed some off-topic posts. Back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

If you say so. But you'll forgive me if I tell you that I know no more about how good you are at your job and how hard you work, than I or you know about how good or hard working teachers are.

My maths went from D1 in the mocks to A2 in the leaving cert. My Dad thinks it was his sitting me down and teaching me statistics (wrongly) for a total of 3 nights one week. It was actually my maths teacher taking me and a few others aside for an hour after school twice a week. But if it makes my Dad feel like a genius, who am I to argue.

I know how hard teachers work, but not all teachers work hard. Or do you believe they do???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know how hard teachers work, but not all teachers work hard. Or do you believe they do???

Nobody here has ever said all teachers work hard.

I'm sure every school has their 'skid marks out the door at closing and holiday times' people, but they are very much in the minority and it utterly sickens the rest of us to have to put up with being tarred with the same brush by people who have no idea what the job today entails and are basing their view of teaching on what they perceived to be going on when they were in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well funny that, in last six months i am in charge of my own team which means i have to monitor them, ensure all work is done on schedule, approve their holidays, do their reviews etc.

Oh no pay rise here for that. And funny thing here, if we mess up if will effect every person in the country!!!

Surely that's something you should be pursuing. Team leader duties are normally extra to the normal duties of the team and bring extra responsibility. I've worked in call centres and know plenty of others who do and team leaders get paid more than their team. I would expect that you should receive extra for those duties.

Advertisement