Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IDF General Recruitment 2012

Options
  • 08-01-2012 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I'm 17 years old currently sitting the leaving certificate, expecting to do well but always have wanted to join straight after the leaving cert... was wondering how recruitment will work this year? Will it be before June? Do I have any chance of getting recruited? In a perfect world I would have liked to get a cadetship but I realise with the level of competition it might be a waste of time applying this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

kellybus wrote: »
    I'm 17 years old currently sitting the leaving certificate, expecting to do well but always have wanted to join straight after the leaving cert... was wondering how recruitment will work this year? Will it be before June? Do I have any chance of getting recruited? In a perfect world I would have liked to get a cadetship but I realise with the level of competition it might be a waste of time applying this year.

It's never a waste of time applying if you're dedicated. At the very least it'll clue you in to what's required for success on the next attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

And, if you can get in on the waiting list, go for the RDF as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kellybus

I think I might start looking at British army.. not sure yet though.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gooleybag

feeney92 wrote: »
    im looking t it as we speak, to be honest its appealing to me more and more every day!!

Well then just apply. It's that simple

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

yeah i know people in both armies. the brits isn't all its cracked up to be. keep trying for the irish defence forces. it takes quite a lot of people years to get in but it will be worth the wait rather than the quick fix in the brits.

yeah i know people in both armies. the brits isn't all its cracked up to be. keep trying for the irish defence forces. it takes quite a lot of people years to get in but it will be worth the wait rather than the quick fix in the brits.

I'm fully committed to signing up for the BA as of now, I've spoken to a guy in the Belfast recruitment office and I've been reading/watching everything I can find about it. Also been running every second day and I've been going to the gym at least twice a week for over a year now, so the entry tests will not be any problem for me. I'm kind of glad in some ways, I don't want to put in all the effort just to piss around with sandbags and salting roads for a living.. and I don't want to spend my days sitting at a computer desk doing computer science. Can't wait to get this leaving cert over with.

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

I'm kind of glad in some ways, I don't want to put in all the effort just to piss around with sandbags and salting roads for a living..

If you want to join the British Army to fight another country's war and represent a foreign nation/government, fine. But don't insult the Irish Defence Forces in the process.

You've come on here asking for peoples help in joining the DF, some of whom are members of the DF, so you're doing yourself no favours by implying all they're good for is salting roads.

• Advertisement

Turbine wrote: »
    You've come on here asking for peoples help in joining the DF, some of whom are members of the DF, so you're doing yourself no favours by implying all they're good for is salting roads.

I realize I was a bit harsh in my words, I didn't mean to demean the fine men and women that are serving and have served in the Irish Defence Forces.. you miss understood my meaning.. not that the soldiers are not capable but in fact that they are left to do the work nobody else will... massive respect for this I just could not see myself being happy doing those kind of jobs year in year out, when you are sitting at a keyboard sometimes you do you not realise exactly what you are typing out, however I learn from my mistakes and I will not be so liberal/blunt with my thoughts... also I'm joining the army to better myself, and for no other reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I realize I was a bit harsh in my words, I didn't mean to demean the fine men and women that are serving and have served in the Irish Defence Forces.. Also I'm joining the army to better myself, and no other reason...

If you are joining the army to better yourself, i would suggest you join the missionaries instead.

If you are joining the army to better yourself, i would suggest you join the missionaries instead.

You think it is a stupid reason for an Irishman to join the British Army? Please enlighten me on why you think men join up. Personally I do not believe the majority join to fight for the queen.. and I think joining for the money isn't too smart either, although it is a bonus it hasn't even crossed my mind yet.
    Think of all the values and traits you can develop in the army.. dedication, motivation, discipline, courage, comradeship, leadership, teamwork and most importantly the physical benefits... It might not be easy but I'm looking to be the best I can be.. It will be an experience, you only live once. I'm not sure if your post was insinuating for me to question the morality of war but I invite you to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

You think it is a stupid reason for an Irishman to join the British Army? Please enlighten me on why you think men join up. Personally I do not believe the majority join to fight for the queen.. and I think joining for the money isn't too smart either, although it is a bonus it hasn't even crossed my mind yet.
    Think of all the values and traits you can develop in the army.. dedication, motivation, discipline, courage, comradeship, leadership, teamwork and most importantly the physical benefits... It might not be easy but I'm looking to be the best I can be.. It will be an experience, you only live once. I'm not sure if your post was insinuating for me to question the morality of war but I invite you to clarify.

Just because your joining the BA doesn't mean your going to get the action you crave with the withdrawal from Afghanistan in the next few years. By the way, the BA end up doing the crappy jobs that nobody wants to do as well - google "Operation Fresco"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

You could join the army reserve and learn the same life skills. Joining any army is not about your own personal development. It is not gym membership. It is about relying on your comrades for your life, and them relying on you.
    Teamwork should be top of your list.

You clearly have a skewed idea of what the Irish Defence Forces do. Even after your apology, I still have to say, you have not got a clue what the Irish Defence Forces do and you have the wrong attitude for someone who wanted to join.

I once again reiterate the point I previously made. I know people in both armies. The brits IS over rated. Thats coming from the horses mouth. I know people in the brits that cant wait to get out, and get back here and join the Irish Defence Forces. In the brits, from what ive been told by Irish people IN the British forces, not by a recruitment sergeant whos job it is to make you want to join, the pay is dirt and the lifestyle is not enviable.

The british forces also get deployed sweeping snow or whatever bla bla bla doing the unliked jobs that no one else will do. News flash friend, you join ANY army, your going to be doing the jobs nobody else wants to do. Thats what armies are for. Whether thats patrolling the chadian desert and preventing bloodthirsty rebels from murdering thousands of civillians, or standing between two belligerents in a conflict overseas, disarming bombs, going on tactical exercises, or maybe even having to use your weapon on a peacekeeping mission, in the Irish Defence Forces, OR going on patrol day in and day out living in terrible conditions in Afghanistan waiting to be hit up by the talliban or blow your legs off, with the brits, OR sweeping snow etc in the brits or the Irish Defence Forces.

If you want to join to better yourself put in a bit more effort and get a better career in the mean time, and join the Irish Defence Forces. Theres nothing in the lines of 'bettering yourself' in the brits that you wont do in the Irish Defence Forces.

I dont care what the fanboys and the recruitment sergeants say.

Ignore them, and ignore documentaries and all that tripe you'l find online.

When I hear british soldiers telling me they want to join MY countries army. That solidifies it for me. The brits is over rated. Don't quit and take the easy option friend. Stick with the Irish Defence Forces. Talk to an actual serving soldier or officer about the kit you get to use, the opertunities you'l get, and what you'l do in training and how challenging it and the job can be.

'Neilled' above is right too.

Dont just follow the trend everyone seams to be setting lately.. Irish army, well that would require more waiting and more effort. Theres hundreds of youtube videos etc making the brits look cool. All there is to be seen of the Irish army is RTE reports of troops out shovelling snow. Brits must be a better option..

If your going to commit yourself to military service, wise up.

Wait it out here, join the Irish Defence Forces. It will 'better' you more than the Brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Have you considered the US armed forces?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

You clearly have a skewed idea of what the Irish Defence Forces do. Even after your apology, I still have to say, you have not got a clue what the Irish Defence Forces do and you have the wrong attitude for someone who wanted to join.

I once again reiterate the point I previously made. I know people in both armies. The brits IS over rated. Thats coming from the horses mouth. I know people in the brits that cant wait to get out, and get back here and join the Irish Defence Forces. In the brits, from what ive been told by Irish people IN the British forces, not by a recruitment sergeant whos job it is to make you want to join, the pay is dirt and the lifestyle is not enviable.

The british forces also get deployed sweeping snow or whatever bla bla bla doing the unliked jobs that no one else will do. News flash friend, you join ANY army, your going to be doing the jobs nobody else wants to do. Thats what armies are for. Whether thats patrolling the chadian desert and preventing bloodthirsty rebels from murdering thousands of civillians, or standing between two belligerents in a conflict overseas, disarming bombs, going on tactical exercises, or maybe even having to use your weapon on a peacekeeping mission, in the Irish Defence Forces, OR going on patrol day in and day out living in terrible conditions in Afghanistan waiting to be hit up by the talliban or blow your legs off, with the brits, OR sweeping snow etc in the brits or the Irish Defence Forces.

If you want to join to better yourself put in a bit more effort and get a better career in the mean time, and join the Irish Defence Forces. Theres nothing in the lines of 'bettering yourself' in the brits that you wont do in the Irish Defence Forces.

I dont care what the fanboys and the recruitment sergeants say.

Ignore them, and ignore documentaries and all that tripe you'l find online.

When I hear british soldiers telling me they want to join MY countries army. That solidifies it for me. The brits is over rated. Don't quit and take the easy option friend. Stick with the Irish Defence Forces. Talk to an actual serving soldier or officer about the kit you get to use, the opertunities you'l get, and what you'l do in training and how challenging it and the job can be.

'Neilled' above is right too.

Dont just follow the trend everyone seams to be setting lately.. Irish army, well that would require more waiting and more effort. Theres hundreds of youtube videos etc making the brits look cool. All there is to be seen of the Irish army is RTE reports of troops out shovelling snow. Brits must be a better option..

If your going to commit yourself to military service, wise up.

Wait it out here, join the Irish Defence Forces. It will 'better' you more than the Brits.

Quote : Theres nothing in the lines of 'bettering yourself' in the brits that you wont do in the Irish Defence Forces. Unquote

What a ridiclous post, are you seriously claiming the same trade and soldiering oportunities exist in the defence forces as with the Brits ?

Quote : Theres nothing in the lines of 'bettering yourself' in the brits that you wont do in the Irish Defence Forces. Unquote

What a ridiclous post, are you seriously claiming the same trade and soldiering oportunities exist in the defence forces as with the Brits ?

No. Im referring to getting self discipline, routine, fitness etc. The usual benefits associated with joining a military. Sorry I was a bit ambiguous there :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

No. Im referring to getting self discipline, routine, fitness etc. The usual benefits associated with joining a military. Sorry I was a bit ambiguous there :)

Heres how I see it for any young Irish person intrested in joining the infantry.

Join the Brits, do some proper infantry soldiering, see some combat, take part in exercises from Kenya to Canada to Belize, perhaps the odd UN mission in various places the Brits are serving, unless you are seriously motivated and striving to be an NCO the Brits dont really like privates past 27.

Then come home, join the Irish army if you can, meet a nice girl, get married etc/do all that stuff, guard cash deliveries, guard prisons etc, go home everynight, basically have a cushy number.

Thats the logical approach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

The OP answered his own question within about 6 posts, he's going to the BA.

The next time I look at a topic where the OP asks questions specifically regarding joining the DF, then people just can't help themselves but give a wonderful speech about how they should join the BA etc. that poster will be taking a week off.

This isn't IMO, if people want questions answered regarding joining the DF the question should be answered, rather than having people rambling on about how wonderful the BA are.

Thread closed. I reckon the forum could do without another few pages of cock measuring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement