Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Time for Joyce to hang up the boots now aswell, and a few more with him. Build a new team, even if it takes a couple of years. While not wanting to slag off lads who have given it their all the reality is that the squad of players we've had over the last 6 or 7 years have taken Galway football to possibly its lowest ever ebb. And that's not an exaggeration, we really are on the list of also-rans at the moment.

Should we lose to Mayo next year, and we probably will, who would we be confident of beating in the qualifiers? At this stage almost every team would fancy their chances against us. Walking out of Croke Park in September 2001 it would have been unbelievable to think that we'd be heading into 2013 still waiting for our next win in Croke Park, and having won only 1 qualifier game in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Six All Stars
    Fergal Moore, David Collins, Iarla Tannian, Damien Hayes, JC, David Burke

Johnny Coen Young hurler

Congrats lads, wouldn't have seen that last April

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

nootroc wrote: »
    Six All Stars
    Fergal Moore, David Collins, Iarla Tannian, Damien Hayes, JC, David Burke

Johnny Coen Young hurler

Congrats lads, wouldn't have seen that last April
    Thought Hayes was slightly lucky, but Coen would be considered v unlucky not to also get an allstar. Niall Burke also had his moments, but I suppose a v poor replay played wreck with his chances. 6 was a great return - hopefully it'll give the squad the confidence to drive on next year

Unusual for the beaten finalists to get more all-stars than the champions. Damien Hayes probably a little bit lucky as he didn't play that well in either of the 2 final games, though he ran his heart out as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Unusual for the beaten finalists to get more all-stars than the champions. Damien Hayes probably a little bit lucky as he didn't play that well in either of the 2 final games, though he ran his heart out as always.

Jeez Johnny Coen has every reason to be displeased tonight. YPOY is one thing but he was deserving of an All Star.

And by the criteria used Cyril Donnellan was our 4th best forward this year:rolleyes: Crazy stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Out of all those Allstars I have to tip my hat to Tannian the most. He always struck me as somebody too physical too be a forward but didn't think he had the fielding ability. Proud to admit I was dead wrong in my assessment of him. He was the best midfielder in the country and I hope he'll kick on. The confidence these guys will get from this year will hopefully bring them on a lot instead of getting knocked out in the QF like we've been used to as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

No idea how Coen didn't get ahead of Moore, he was Galway's best player this year.

And I might have had Donnellan over Hayes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Fireball07 wrote: »
    No idea how Coen didn't get ahead of Moore, he was Galway's best player this year.

And I might have had Donnellan over Hayes too.

I think its common enough to give a younger player either award but not both, allows another player get an All Star. I thought Fergal Moore was superb this year so I'm glad he got an All Star. I would have picked both of them, one in each corner, but I am very biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

aidan24326 wrote: »

Hayes was the best player in the Galway attack not called Joe Canning the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭flogging a dead horse

When Galway/Connacht played 11 games on the trot from Walshe Cup Final to the 25 point mauling by Kilkenny in the league. It really made them as a team in terms of character and a strong bond as an inter-county team developed. Our season nearly ended before it began by narrowly avoiding relegation to Dublin by the skin our teeth which we then duly recovered from and give Dublin a 14 point mauling relagating them to Division 1b.
    After that match the lads just grew in confidence.
    I will also take into consideration the words of Mattie Murphy when he claimed the 08/09 minor team were the best group of underage hurlers he's ever seen. A bunch of hurlers who have the skill by the bucket-load with a steely charachter in coming back from defeat to return to victory! Runners up to Kilkenny 08.In one of Galway's darkest hurling hours in the defeat by Tipp U21 in 2011 and then defeat at the hands of Kilkenny in 2012 All Ireland replay which will be followed up by being ALl Ireland champs of 2013!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

When Galway/Connacht played 11 games on the trot from Walshe Cup Final to the 25 point mauling by Kilkenny in the league. It really made them as a team in terms of character and a strong bond as an inter-county team developed. Our season nearly ended before it began by narrowly avoiding relegation to Dublin by the skin our teeth which we then duly recovered from and give Dublin a 14 point mauling relagating them to Division 1b.
    After that match the lads just grew in confidence.
    I will also take into consideration the words of Mattie Murphy when he claimed the 08/09 minor team were the best group of underage hurlers he's ever seen. A bunch of hurlers who have the skill by the bucket-load with a steely charachter in coming back from defeat to return to victory! Runners up to Kilkenny 08.In one of Galway's darkest hurling hours in the defeat by Tipp U21 in 2011 and then defeat at the hands of Kilkenny in 2012 All Ireland replay which will be followed up by being ALl Ireland champs of 2013!!

you wish thats the problem that Galway seem to fall back after getting to a final bar the 1987,88, side they lost 81,85,86,90,93,01,05,2012, finals but didn't do anything the next year as they were build up to much.

this is a fine Galway team but i wouldn't be blowing about them winning it next year as history shows they can flop when it comes to the crunch.

2013 is a new year i think tipp will come back strong they still have a young side plus under 21 winners in 2011 minors this year Declan Ryans silly ways of hurling also gone, ourselfs kilkenny we will still be there or there abouts when the cup is gave out, cork will be a year older under JBM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

There's certainly an argument to be made for Tipp being bigger contenders than ourselves for next year, but certainly not Cork. They'll be a year older under JBM alright, but sure so too will Galway under Cunningham. Also, I'm expecting Daithí Burke to finally enter the senior scene, who will make the full back slot his own within a year or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

THFC wrote: »
    There's certainly an argument to be made for Tipp being bigger contenders than ourselves for next year, but certainly not Cork. They'll be a year older under JBM alright, but sure so too will Galway under Cunningham. Also, I'm expecting Daithí Burke to finally enter the senior scene, who will make the full back slot his own within a year or 2.

Daithi for centre, Killeen for full imho

Killeen might be a bit young yet for the seniors imo, let's see how he does at U-21 first. He looks a fantastic prospect but my only worry would be his pace.

Killeen might be a bit young yet for the seniors imo, let's see how he does at U-21 first. He looks a fantastic prospect but my only worry would be his pace.

Yeah I'd love to see him get a game or two in it during league though. Tbf he was probably Galway's best defender at under 21 this year despite playing only a half. He certainly has the build and has plenty of experience playing club senior hurling at FB and CF. Agree though that pace could be a problem

Saying that though I'm hoping Kavanagh can return to the role for the coming year anyway

Think Daithi is too good of a hurler for FB, would have more influence on the game at CB

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd love to see him get a game or two in it during league though. Tbf he was probably Galway's best defender at under 21 this year despite playing only a half. He certainly has the build and has plenty of experience playing club senior hurling at FB and CF. Agree though that pace could be a problem

Saying that though I'm hoping Kavanagh can return to the role for the coming year anyway

Think Daithi is too good of a hurler for FB, would have more influence on the game at CB
    Killeen is a monster alright, he certainly should be getting game time during the league, but I'd hold off on playing him during the championship.
    The only reason I said Daithi at FB is because that's where he played at U-21, and as far as I remember, minor as well. Also, I've such mixed emotions on Tony Óg:o

Killeen is a monster alright, he certainly should be getting game time during the league, but I'd hold off on playing him during the championship.
    The only reason I said Daithi at FB is because that's where he played at U-21, and as far as I remember, minor as well. Also, I've such mixed emotions on Tony Óg:o

You're correct he lined out at FB for the AI winning minor team in 09 cleaning Wally Walsh in the final. Played CB minor in 2010 most likely for the reason I mentioned to exert more influence on the game.

My only issue is that he was easily second best in his duel with Ger Aylward in under 21 this year when he was deployed in the full back line. He seemed like a guy screaming to be played out the field. He was moved to CB in the second half though and really got into it. Tbf it was most likely a blip and he definitely wouldn't let the side down at FB

He's been comfortably the player of the season in the county championship this season imo

2013 is a new year i think tipp will come back strong they still have a young side plus under 21 winners in 2011 minors this year Declan Ryans Tommy Dunne's silly ways of hurling also gone, ourselfs kilkenny we will still be there or there abouts when the cup is gave out, cork will be a year older under JBM

;)

Can anyone tell me did Clarinbridge survive in the end?

Thats what i call a club championship when a team who won the all ireland club just 19 months ago can be in danger of dropping to the intermediate ranks in such a short space of time. My own county should take note.

;)

Can anyone tell me did Clarinbridge survive in the end?

Thats what i call a club championship when a team who won the all ireland club just 19 months ago can be in danger of dropping to the intermediate ranks in such a short space of time. My own county should take note.

It's looking extremely likely (unfortunately) that no team will go down. 5 teams in the relegation group was always going to be disastrous. Carnmore have already played a team playing for nothing and they've Ardrahan left to play who also have nothing to play for

Liam Mellows aren't happy. In all of their 4 games, the opposition have had something to play for

Jeez Johnny Coen has every reason to be displeased tonight. YPOY is one thing but he was deserving of an All Star.

And by the criteria used Cyril Donnellan was our 4th best forward this year:rolleyes: Crazy stuff

For some strange reason the YPOTY almost never gets an all-star.

Syferus wrote: »
    Hayes was the best player in the Galway attack not called Joe Canning the first day.

In fairness that wouldn't have been hard considering that Donnellan and David Burke badly underperformed and James Regan was anonymous. Damien battled his heart out but it didn't really go his way. However I do think playing him as a roving ball-winner is something they should stick with. We're going to need more of a scoring return from the forwards next year though, and that will involve some tactical changes. Galway were far too negative this year. It worked up to a point but we were never going to beat KK with no forward line and JC playing centre back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Syferus wrote: »

Niall Burke scored 1-3 from play in that game, he was comfortably our best forward, JC or no

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭flogging a dead horse

Any news on who won today's semi?

Any news on who won today's semi?
    Thomas' by one!

Heard Cooney was brilliant again. Great achievement for Thomas' though, hard to believe it's their first ever SHC final.

No relegation in hurling. Disgrace. 2 years in a row

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

cgpg5 wrote: »
    No relegation in hurling. Disgrace. 2 years in a row
    It isn't 100% yet though but very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

It isn't 100% yet though but very likely.

It's in the galway independent today.

Mellows appeal results in no relegation
    With one round of relegation play-off games remaining, Mellows, Clarinbridge and Cranmore were in danger of dropping to intermediate level.

But after a loophole was uncovered in the competition rules, Galway hurling board chairman, Joe Byrne confirmed no team will face the drop this year.
    “It is terrible; it is very disappointing that in good faith, that loopholes can be found. It is disappointing how matters off the field can influence what happens on the field,” said Byrne.

Byrne and the other officers of the Galway hurling board were due to meet on Tuesday night to sift through the detail of Mellows' appeal, but they have already decided not to challenge the ruling of the hearings committee.
    “Liam Mellows submitted an appeal to the Galway Hearings Committee appealing the decision of the hurling board to play relegation games. On foot of that the hearings committee reviewed the submission and recommended there be no relegation from senior this year.

“The hurling board officers have decided they will not challenge this decision,” said Byrne.

The chairman refused to reveal the basis of Liam Mellows “extremely detailed” appeal before meeting delegates next week, but confirmed that relegating a club by scoring difference “was one of the issues”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

Total bull**** what has happened Mellowes should hang their heads in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 darragh085

The county board really need to look at the hurling championship. second year in a row no team goes down and who knows a team might not go down next year either if they go down the same route as mellows this year.

• Advertisement

h2005 wrote: »
    Total bull**** what has happened Mellowes should hang their heads in shame.

Not really. 5 teams in a relegation group is asking for trouble

Mellows ended up playing each team when they had something to play for. carnmore had 2 matches against teams playing for nothing. It's really not fair when it comes to something as serious as relegation from senior championship

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement