Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Airbnb (or similar, there are competitors like Wimdu etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

+1 for Airbnb. I've stayed with them twice now, once in Dublin and one in Barcelona and I couldn't recommend highly enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Great. Will try Airbnb. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭teecee74

Hi

I rented a house in London last summer for a week on airbnb for 9. The house I rented was really spacious and over 4 floors (a Georgian house). It was in North London (Tufnell Park)and 2 minutes from a tube station (12 minutes to Leicester Sq), bus stop outside the door for central London. Walkable to Camden/Kentish town (20-30 mins). There were 4 double bedrooms, 2 living rooms, dining room, good sized kitchen dinner leading on to one of the living rooms, 2.5 bathrooms (none en suite which is handier for a group). In the largest bedroom, we put an air bed for children and then another air bed in the dining room - all provided by the renter.

It's better value that a hotel but it's still not cheap! The best thing about our house was the amount of space, 3 smart tvs, with a family group it's great to have a "quiet" living room as well as a noisy one! There were some small supermarkets (express) within a few minutes walk and a 5 minute bus ride to large Asda etc.

Apart from all the stairs it was perfect - 4 stories. There was one amazing bathroom with a great tb and huge shower, the other bathroom was a bit small but still fine (shower over bath), and a downstairs loo. The master bedroom is huge but the 2 of the other rooms had the doubles up against a wall so not great if you're not fully mobile. The master is the only bedroom you can fit an extra bed in but the dining room is perfect as a spare room. The airbeds were the double height ones, good quality and made up with good sheets and down duvet.

On airbnb look for property 1423035 - I can't post a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

EasyBus £1 seat sale. Must be booked by 26th March. 23,000 seats for £1 each, valid from Gatwick, Stansted, Luton. valid for travel 27th April-9th May and 18th-27th May inclusive
    http://www.easybus.co.uk/en/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=23000+seats+for+1&utm_content=23000+seats+for+1+CID_ecf69c116dde25743285b51ae67c43d6&utm_source=BP%20email%20marketing&utm_term=Book%20your%201%20seat%20now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

check our home away .com... have used them a few times to rent in the states, and they were super.....

There are about 10 of us heading to London inMay for a family occasion and I am looking into accommodation. As hotels have gotten so expensive again, I'm trying to look into houses or a couple of apartments before committing to a hotel.

What are the best sites to look at? I've tried a few, but they seem to either be people's own homes being rented out, or by owners with single properties ( which is not ideal if we go with a couple of properties as we would prefer the properties to be close to each other and ideally deal with one provider)

We range from early 30s to mid 70s so we're not looking for hostels or "party houses".

Thanks

Hi

You haven't asked for a restaurant recommendation but with a large group you might be interested in a group dinner. I found the Palm Court in Covent Garden fantastic for a group of 12. The early bird is great value - the a la carte isn't too pricey and it's so much nicer than the chain/posh burger restaurants in the area. We all did our own thing during the day and then met there in the evening - as tourists, everyone ends up in Covent Garden at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

I take it that this is the restaurant you refer to teecee74 - http://www.palmcourtbrasserie.co.uk/ Going to London next week so browsing this thread currently for suggestions.

Yes that's the one - not just good for groups.

Other recommendations - I'm a repeat tourist rather than a local:
    Christopher's American Steakhouse and Martini Bar at the back of Covent Garden (a bit spendy).

Brownes Brasserie - good value pre-theatre menu, near Leicester Sq, time it right and go round the street behind the restaurant to see whoever is starring at Wyndhams Theatre - have "met" Judi Dench and Sienna Miller this way.

Wahacaa along the South Bank - proper Mexican rather than tex-mex in a restaurant made of shipping containers, lovely to sit outside if the weather is good.

Skylon at Festival Hall has great food, good value early-bird and if you get a table at the (3 storey high) window, one of the best views in London. Looks posh but there are tourists in jeans and backpacks alongside older dressed up couples going to the festival hall or the National and dressed up 20/30 somethings.

There's a million good places to eat.
    Have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok hitting London this weekend for some football and beer

Decided to head uptown to the bright lights of capital city. Have not done this in a while and wondering what are the decent pubs, late bars around Leicester Sq and Trafalgar Sq areas. There will be 4/5 of us and most of them like their music cheesy and danceable(not me)

Any decent clubs around these areas as easier to get back home from here with late buses etc.All recommendations welcome.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hey all,

If one was travelling to London with the intention of going to Wembley Stadium, which airport is best to fly into from Dublin in terms of quickest/easiest travel to Wembley?

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Paully D wrote: »
    Hey all,

If one was travelling to London with the intention of going to Wembley Stadium, which airport is best to fly into from Dublin in terms of quickest/easiest travel to Wembley?

Heathrow would be closest but where would you be staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Heathrow would be closest but where would you be staying?

Thanks.

Haven't got anything sorted yet mate, I suppose I should have probably asked for suggestions :pac:

Heading over for a game in Wembley, so I'm certainly open to any suggestions on places to stay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Heathrow is definitely the closest, you can actually see Wembley on descent into Heathrow.

I would stay somewhere like Ealing Broadway. On the same tube line as Heathrow & you can get a bus direct to Wembley from there.
    Bus can take an hour or two but for someone who may not know London it might take the stress out of it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Paully D wrote: »
    Hey all,

Luton would be second to Heathrow. You can get the train in to West Hampstead then change for a direct Jubilee Line train to Wembley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Help!!!! wrote: »
    I would stay somewhere like Ealing Broadway. On the same tube line as Heathrow & you can get a bus direct to Wembley from there.
    Bus can take an hour or two but for someone who may not know London it might take the stress out of it for you

I would not advise taking a bus on a match day, traffic can be very bad.

Wembley Stadium station on the Chiltern rail line, one stop from Marylebone is the best for access to the stadium, although Marylebone is only served by the Bakerloo Tube line. Wembley Park on the Metropolitan or Jubilee lines would be next best (Metropolitan is quicker than Jubilee).

For airport, if you are planning on going directly from the airport then Heathrow. Get Heathrow Connect rail service (or Heathrow Express if you have lots of cash) to Paddington. Then Bakerloo Underground to Marylebone for Chiltern (from tube entrance on Paddington concourse) or Circle/ Hammersmith+city underground to Baker Street for Metropolitan line (from seperate Underground station in Paddington via the stairway halfway along the mainline platforms).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Luton would be second to Heathrow. You can get the train in to West Hampstead then change for a direct Jubilee Line train to Wembley

Changing at West Hampstead involves leaving the Thameslimk station and walking the right direction down West End Lane past the Overground station and then finding the tube station. Taken together with the bus from Luton Airport to the Parkway station introduces a lot of complication for the uninitiated. Unless the Luton flight is much much cheaper, I wouldn't give it a thought. Gatwick would be much easier as a second option or even City Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Vic_08 wrote: »

Wembley Stadium station on the Chiltern rail line, one stop from Marylebone is the best for access to the stadium, although Marylebone is only served by the Bakerloo Tube line. Wembley Park on the Metropolitan or Jubilee lines would be next best (Metropolitan is quicker than Jubilee).

For airport, if you are planning on going directly from the airport then Heathrow. Get Heathrow Connect rail service (or Heathrow Express if you have lots of cash) to Paddington. Then Bakerloo Underground to Marylebone for Chiltern (from tube entrance on Paddington concourse) or Circle/ Hammersmith+city underground to Baker Street for Metropolitan line (from seperate Underground station in Paddington via the stairway halfway along the mainline platforms).

From Paddington on a match day I'd probably just take the Bakerloo line straight to Wembley Central rather than backtracking to Marylebone. It's a longer walk but the crowd will lead you there, Marylebone can get very congested and can be a site of intimidation/fights.

Vic_08 wrote: »

Yes but for someone who has never been to London before a bus straight there would be less hassle + they can go up earlier & make a day of it see the sights etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Marcusm wrote: »
    Changing at West Hampstead involves leaving the Thameslimk station and walking the right direction down West End Lane past the Overground station and then finding the tube station. Taken together with the bus from Luton Airport to the Parkway station introduces a lot of complication for the uninitiated. Unless the Luton flight is much much cheaper, I wouldn't give it a thought. Gatwick would be much easier as a second option or even City Airport.

In fairness they're across the road from each other at W Hampstead. A quick preview on street view would clear up any confusion very easily. I offered Luton as it's on the right side of town so no hassle/cost of going through city centre, flights (and transfers) are cheaper, and it's an easy airport to get out of quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The easybus from Stansted and Luton stops at Baker Street, which is on the jubille line.

It takes longer, but could save a few quid.

From Heathrow, I'd go to Paddington, Bakerloo to Baker Street and then Jubilee to Wembley. I prefer the Tube to the Train, I think it's a nicer way to arrive.

From Gatwick, the route is easy as well. Train to London Bridge and then Jubilee line to Wembley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Hello All,

I'm heading over to Cambridge next Friday & Saturday night. Has anyone stayed here or could give me some advice on a reasonably priced hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Tilikum wrote: »
    Hello All,

I'm heading over to Cambridge next Friday & Saturday night. Has anyone stayed here or could give me some advice on a reasonably priced hotel.
    I have no idea how the timing would be, but I've stayed in Oxford (and London, and York) using www.universityrooms.com. They offer rooms in the colleges when they're not being used by students. It's be best value you'll find!

If they don't have college rooms, they offer some alternatives - I have no idea what they might be though, as we always timed our trips for the college availability.

Worth a look anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Anyone been on a "Boris Bus" recently? and if so how did you find your trip?

The seem to be the Marmite of London transport, meaning that people either love them or hate them :)

I love the open rear platform, but they're not always manned by a conductor, hence on some routes the rear doors are permantly shut which defeats their whole purpose really.

NBFL anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Has anyone stayed in the Legoland hotel itself. Expensive but wondering if it is worth it??

LordSutch wrote: »
    Anyone been on a "Boris Bus" recently? and if so how did you find your trip?

The seem to be the Marmite of London transport, meaning that people either love them or hate them :)

I love the open rear platform, but they're not always manned by a conductor, hence on some routes the rear doors are permantly shut which defeats their whole purpose really.

NBFL anybody?

I've been on several in the past few months, mostly the 38 to Hackney. I like that there's more than one entry point so you can get on quickly if there are people in front of you. But whether they're worth all the extra money, I'm doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Flying into Stansted in a few weeks. Have Stansted express booked to Liverpool St. Need to get the bus to London Bridge station & then train out to Kent. I hear that you can no longer pay cash on the bus. What are my options. Can I buy a card or similar in Liverpool St. to cover me for bus & train or just get a card to cover the one bus journey from Liverpool St. to London Bringe.

Thanks.

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

TigerTim wrote: »
    Flying into Stansted in a few weeks. Have Stansted express booked to Liverpool St. Need to get the bus to London Bridge station & then train out to Kent. I hear that you can no longer pay cash on the bus. What are my options. Can I buy a card or similar in Liverpool St. to cover me for bus & train or just get a card to cover the one bus journey from Liverpool St. to London Bringe.

Thanks.

T.
    Where in Kent are you going? If it's on a line that's also served by Victoria, then it would be easier and a lot quicker to get off at Tottenham Hale, and get the Tube direct to Victoria.
    This post has been deleted.

Although not relevant to this situation, there's a daily cap of £4.40 for bus journeys, which means buses after the third one are free for the rest of the day.

Advertisement