Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A piece of German history

• 24-05-2007 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Had a closer look at the headlamps of my ex German army VW T3 syncro today (as I want to fit RHD ones) and I noticed something peculiar.

They weren't the usual "Hella"s but there was a logo saying "F E R" and "German Democratic Republic"

(seemingly VW did buy the occasional parts from Eastern Germany)

The interesting bit now is:
    As slowly as the German army apparatus works, this vehicle was probably ordered some time in 89 when the wall was still up and there still was "East" and "West".

By the time it was finally comissioned, it was 12/90, the GDR had seized to exist and the Bundeswehr, the former "enemy" moved into ex East German NVA locations.

So did my "western" van with its "eastern" lights ...it started its duty in Leipzig ...former German Democratic Republic.

So at least a little part of it was going "home" ...a home that didn't exist any more at the time.

I thought I'd just share that little story ...

Oh ...and if anyone want's my "historical" headlamps ...they should be going spare soon :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

We need pics of the shaggin' waggin':D :D

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

So you bought it in the end..............sucker :D

Seriously, class yoke. One of these days I might just buy one - but I'd fancy an old Scirocco too.

BTW, don't ever change the colour!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,236 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is there a possibility they were replacement parts, not originals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Looks the business, and you're probably guaranteed an excellent maintenance history as well, given the former owner.

Any major modifications to the original spec, peasant?

• Advertisement

Is there a possibility they were replacement parts, not originals?

No, not really.

Because by the time that vehicle got on the road, the GDR (and its headlamp making industry) had seized to exist and all the industrial bits were being wound up and sold off for 1.-- DM to greedy capitalists. (long story, big scandals).

If those were replacemnts, they'd definetly be "Hella" :D

Looks the business, and you're probably guaranteed an excellent maintenance history as well, given the former owner.

Any major modifications to the original spec, peasant?

Modifications?
    I've had it all of three days:D ..new tyres, that's all.
    Not planning on any either ...

or do you mean army mods?

There would be holes in the roof from the signal/siren (ex MP) and the radio equipment ...all removed and disconnected.

There is a (disconnected) "camouflage" function, which switches off everything electrical bar the engine ...no lights, no breaklights, no indicators, etc

There also are several strenghened components (springs, shocks) and additional bits of metal and protective gear for the undercarriage ...and two difflocks

Oh ...and there is the rifle holder in the passenger door :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Army mods.

There is a group down here ( I think in West Cork, but I'm not 100%) who collect German WWII military vehicles (Kubelwagons and motorcycles etc.), and find them a big draw at shows. There would probably be a big following for your wagon, if some of the "accessories" could be replicated, I should think.

Probably ...

...but these blue flashlights and sirens are hard to come by and not that well liked by the guys that use them "for real" :D

Same goes for original army radio equipment.

As a civilian you won't get your hands on it ...plus it's illegal to drive around like that anyway.

Plus I'm not THAT keen on "playing soldier" ...been there ,done that and was made wear the bloody T-shirt ....

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

peasant wrote:
    As slowly as the German army apparatus works

That's probably it. The first aid kit in my late '96 BMW says "made in West Germany" :eek:
    peasant wrote:
    I'm not THAT keen on "playing soldier" ...been there ,done that and was made wear the bloody T-shirt ....

And the only thing I miss sometimes has to do with discharging weapons :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    And the only thing I miss sometimes has to do with discharging weapons :D

Yepp ..wouldn't mind a day out on the shooting range meself ...the only "fun" bit of the whole experience.

Was quite good at it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Apparently there are some great old Volvo TEs which belonged to East German ministers still knocking about. Also, Honecker's old Citroen SM is in a museum somewhere. I have a bit of a fascination with the old DDR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Army mods.

There is a group down here ( I think in West Cork, but I'm not 100%) who collect German WWII military vehicles (Kubelwagons and motorcycles etc.), and find them a big draw at shows. There would probably be a big following for your wagon, if some of the "accessories" could be replicated, I should think.

Ah yes, the contraversial SS Reenactors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dannyboy1

Hey Peasant , Ive been researching these syncros for a while and just wondering if you know of anyone selling one here or in uk . they are as rare as hens Teeth .
    ive seen a white tin top- syncro lately in dublin on the south Quays( beside the Petrol station ) pulling a trailer and was too busy to Try pull it over . also saw the HORSE( RED and Green camo VW doka ) on the M50 westbound - --
    Im getting obsessed with these yokes . any advise would be appreciated
    Donal

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This zombie thread back from the dead is a piece of German history too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock. Dannyboy1, you can either PM the user directly or start a new thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement