Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It has the making of a super event!

My problem is the practice enough bit, that's where I'm remiss!

Do ya have a good warm up? That's the key ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

gadetra wrote: »
    Do ya have a good warm up? That's the key ;)

The level I'm at I prefer to do my warm up in the saddle....... Yep the first 250 yards are my warm up :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

We're staying in Cushendall. The back road out there to Torr head is fairly spectacular. I'd love to get out along the coast in my kayak. It'd be some way of seeing it. But it's looks seriously dangerous waters.

Your nearly worse than me. Went up to Achill for the first time with herself last year and when I was driving down the hill to Keem beach i was nearly crying that I hadnt the Kayak on top of the jeep, some spot so it is!! I shall return before the summer is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Your nearly worse than me. Went up to Achill for the first time with herself last year and when I was driving down the hill to Keem beach i was nearly crying that I hadnt the Kayak on top of the jeep, some spot so it is!! I shall return before the summer is over.

Beautiful part of the world, Achill has to be one of my favourite spots, keem is lovely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The level I'm at I prefer to do my warm up in the saddle....... Yep the first 250 yards are my warm up :-)

Ah now I see the problem. A thorough and lengthy warm up is key. If you get into that habit there'll be no end to the practice you'll be doing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

every may bank hoilday a gang of about 30 would head to achill for the weekend drinking it used to be some craic and not a cop to be seen for the weekend.dieing after a night on the beer now never mind a full weekend of drinking, riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

ctq1r8h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

naughto wrote: »
    ctq1r8h.jpg

reilig taking his retirement fund

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Charliebull

speaking of which, i wonder is he back in the fold

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I got an awful fright earlier on and am still not the better from it.
    Lads were spreading slurry from the lagoon with the long pipe thingie and I went up to the yard to tell them that the dinner was ready. When I got back to the house I realised that my 6 month old Rottie pup was missing. I went back up to the yard and found her in the lagoon trying to get out. The dopey fecker on the tractor with the pump did not even see her in it.
    Luckily I had a pfd in the jeep that I use for fishing as I cannot swim. I put it on before I tried rescuing her. After many frustrating attempts I managed to throw a rope around her head and pull her to safety.
    I was amazed that the dopey fecker did not have a pfd in the tractor and I had words with his boss about it afterwards.
    The automatic ones only cost about €120 each.
    A good lesson learned - extendable ladder and 2 pfd's are now beside the lagoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    Lads were spreading slurry from the lagoon with the long pipe thingie and I went up to the yard to tell them that the dinner was ready. When I got back to the house I realised that my 6 month old Rottie pup was missing. I went back up to the yard and found her in the lagoon trying to get out. The dopey fecker on the tractor with the pump did not even see her in it.
    Luckily I had a pfd in the jeep that I use for fishing as I cannot swim. I put it on before I tried rescuing her. After many frustrating attempts I managed to throw a rope around her head and pull her to safety.
    I was amazed that the dopey fecker did not have a pfd in the tractor and I had words with his boss about it afterwards.
    A good lesson learned - extendable ladder and 2 pfd's are now beside the lagoon.
    whats a pfd? hows the pup?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

The golden handshake :D

whelan2 wrote: »

A personnel flotation device. Aka life jacket

Oh sorry - a pfd is a personal flotation device i.e, a life jacket.
    The pup is fine although still smelly even after a warm shampoo wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

speaking of which, i wonder is he back in the fold

I hope so, but I doubt it.

not being smart here, but last year 3 members of the spence family died going into a tank after a dog. The fact you can not swim it amazes me that you went into a slurry lagoon, fair play and all for saving the dog but:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

not being smart here, but last year 3 members of the spence family died going into a tank after a dog. The fact you can not swim it amazes me that you went into a slurry lagoon, fair play and all for saving the dog but:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Would the fact that it was outside not lesson the danger of gases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭mf240

Reggie. wrote: »
    Would the fact that it was outside not lesson the danger of gases

Gas is held under the crust and is heavier than air. It was a risky move.

If he was my dog he would be still in it.

I didn't actually enter it - as get into the slurry. I stayed on the edge inside the fenced area and tried to throw the noose over her head.
    I understand the dangers of slurry gases but I would have thought that an open lagoon was slightly safer. However I will stand corrected and acknowledge that what I did was dangerous but I felt I was protecting myself by putting on the life jacket.
    I also shouted at the lad on the pump tractor to stay outside the fence/gate and phone OH.

mf240 wrote: »
    Gas is held under the crust and is heavier than air. It was a risky move.

If he was my dog he would be still in it.
    There was no crust as it has be well agitated over the last 2 days and the dry/caked crust was more or less gone.

• Advertisement

having a pup is probably like having young kids around, i have a near 6 year old -child-who has no fear and back door has to be locked when going out and garden gate has to be locked too everytime we go out to the yard

I didn't actually enter it - as get into the slurry. I stayed on the edge inside the fenced area and tried to throw the noose over her head.
    I understand the dangers of slurry gases but I would have thought that an open lagoon was slightly safer. However I will stand corrected and acknowledge that what I did was dangerous but I felt I was protecting myself by putting on the life jacket.
    I also shouted at the lad on the pump tractor to stay outside the fence/gate and phone OH.

I would have done the same thing base

having a pup is probably like having young kids around, i have a near 6 year old -child-who has no fear and back door has to be locked when going out and garden gate has to be locked too everytime we go out to the yard
    It was all my own fault. When we were agitating the lagoon I had the 4 dogs and cat locked up in the garage at the house in case they decided to have a snoop about due to all the activity. I even locked them up this morning when the lads were here and I had to go to the yard to feed the calves.
    I let them out when I came back to the house to make the dinner and forgot to lock them up when I went back up to the yard.
    Simple mistake but that is how accidents happen :(

It was all my own fault. When we were agitating the lagoon I had the 4 dogs and cat locked up in the garage at the house in case they decided to have a snoop about due to all the activity. I even locked them up this morning when the lads were here and I had to go to the yard to feed the calves.
    I let them out when I came back to the house to make the dinner and forgot to lock them up when I went back up to the yard.
    Simple mistake but that is how accidents happen :(

Base no harm was done so Alls good

Base no harm was done so Alls good
    I know but I am still having "daymares" about it :(

I know but I am still having "daymares" about it :(

That's the worst thing. Just carry on as you were or it will wreck your head for the next while. Sure you could be killed travelling to mass on a sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Sure you could be killed travelling to mass on a sunday

I'm glad I gave it up!

Internet signal is going slow. Check up with ye all soon....

renewal notice for insurance on car came, 325 euro, got them down to 300 and then produced my 75 euro off voucher ;)

• Advertisement

I'm glad I gave it up!

Snap

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement