Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NAS for Mac Network ?

• 25-03-2014 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

I've been tasked with recommending a NAS for a network of 4 Macs. AFP - Time Machine and media serving are essential requirements.

Research has lead me to understand that not all NAS units are created equal and it's important that this unit is quick and reliable and well as compatible.

I've read that Netgear and Lacie make the most compatible units, anyone any experience of these ?

Thanks

Ken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Synology. Always Synology. Supports Time Machine, great performance, amazing tech support, lots of extra packages you can install into it's OS.

You can also set up per-user quotas so that Time Machine doesn't suck up all of your space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

why not buy a mac mini and the server app. best NAS IMHO

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Synology. Always Synology. Supports Time Machine, great performance, amazing tech support, lots of extra packages you can install into it's OS.

You can also set up per-user quotas so that Time Machine doesn't suck up all of your space.

I've a Synology DJ212 and it has more features than you can shake a stick at. Be aware, though, that their Tech support isn't covering themselves in glory......Since the uproar over the Java insecurities, they are having serious problems with their surveillance product for the NAS. It needs to move away from java but they still haven't done it, and its a long time waiting to be fixed. I have an LG too, their Tech support for Mac is dreadful, and I won't buy anything else from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

+1 here for Synology

Best there is in my book

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

A lot of the Mac forums suggested Synology too so the comments here confirm their recommendations, thanks lads - Synology it is !

Thanks for the info whiterebel, the NAS will be purely for storage and only attached on the internal LAN so hopefully that Java issue won't effect it.

I had considered getting a Mac Mini and OS X Server or even a dedicated NAS Linux Distro on a cheap PC but it would cost too much and be too complicated for the users IMO - a nice tidy appliance hidden away in the office is perfect for this install.

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

QNAP would be my call ... Can be bought in any arrangement of drives and either tower or rack form factor

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Synology and QNAP would be my favourites, along with Netgear ReadyNAS afterwards.*

I find the following website useful for researching NASs et: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

*Although currently I don't use any NAS, just a mac mini running all the services I want

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have 3 Netgear ReadyNAS on my network and they work perfectly fine with my macs. I also have a small Iomega NAS, which I use as my timecapsule just fine.

No compatibility problems so far and have been running all these for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Using a few Buffalo NASs for a few clients and they work well with AFP and TM. No problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

We use this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS214-4TB-2TB-Bay/dp/B00EQWR2O0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396614829&sr=8-1&keywords=synology+ds+214+4TB

On an iMac. Works perfectly. One thing to watch for is that Synology recommend at least three times the space be allocated for TM backup. Therefore, if your Mac is 600GB in total, you should have at least 2TB just for TM. Doesn't leave much space for anything else. TM fills the drive very fast. Unless you do manual backup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement