Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two yrs C# experience....what salary?

• 14-01-2014 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,

What is the average salary in Dublin for someone with two yrs C# development experience in a finance software company?

I have searched boards but can only find threads on graduate salaries. Just wondering how much I could ask for when moving jobs...without being laughed out the door!

I have looked at jobs advertised online but the majority of them don't state an amount.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you will rarely find a job posting that states a salary, it's done this way to catch all potential employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

2 years experience, but how much of that is good experience? What skills do you have, and how do they stack up against the average C# developer with 2 years experience?

If you're good (in terms of skills and quality of deliverables), are enthusiastic and a team player then I'd guestimate that €40k would be about right.

In my experience however, you need to change jobs to get what you're worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

John_Mc wrote: »
    In my experience however, you need to change jobs to get what you're worth.
    That's long been the problem with IT, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

While John_Mc gives a pretty reasonable estimate I'd expect agencies to try push you into jobs approx. 5k under that. They'll run the old "but it's great experience" spiel as well. As someone with similar experience who recently moved jobs I have to say waiting on the right job is the best tactic even if it draws out the search for an extra 2 - 3 months. If the job doesn't excite you but the pay is decent, approach with caution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

In my company C# developers will be on €36k after 2 years. This is in Cork though and it's web app development so i'd say for Dublin and finance it should be at least €40k.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FTroydon

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking around the mid 30s myself so it is good to know that this is achievable. It's a shame though that it will probably take moving jobs to get to that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

That's long been the problem with IT, I'm afraid.

Its not unique to IT, its generally the case regardless of sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I have noticed a "mid-level" category of experience creeping in over the last while, which I'd guess is related to around 3 years of *cough* applicable *cough* experience. I have seen adverts specifically mention mid-level with salary ranges of 35-45k. So OP, if you were getting good experience where you are but maybe not being paid too well for it, it might be an idea to hold on a little longer until you "notch" up to that mid-level level...

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Merrion

What type of financial software?
    2yrs HFT you can be looking at 70k. Most banking/hedge funds would be about 50k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭done4now

For what it worth I moved to my second Investment Bank when I had 2.5 years experience in Java development and I am currently on €40k in Dublin.

Advertisement