Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the Irish accent die?

• 14-08-2011 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

Will the Irish accent turn into basically an American accent in say 50-100 years. Example, say Jedwards gran children.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Yes and no. Accents dont 'die', they change. If you look back 50 or so years, you'd see that what was considered an Irish Accent then is different from what is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

DjFlin wrote: »
    Yes and no. Accents dont 'die', they change. If you look back 50 or so years, you'd see that what was considered an Irish Accent then is different from what is now.

I completely agree with what your point is but say over the past few hundred years if not the last thousand years the Irish accent has evolved into a very unique accent that has it's very own tone, rhythm ect., I wonder specifically will the Irish accent all over the island simply turn into a pan American accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I completely agree with what your point is but say over the past few hundred years if not the last thousand years the Irish accent has evolved into a very unique accent that has it's very own tone, rhythm ect., I wonder specifically will the Irish accent all over the island simply turn into a pan American accent.

I highly doubt it considering that there is no single Irish Accent. Almost every county has a different one. As do most states in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Stroll

Will the Irish accent turn into basically an American accent in say 50-100 years. Example, say Jedwards gran children.

Na, it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Stroll wrote: »
    Na, it'll be grand.
    Ya! Like totally !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Stroll

barney 20v wrote: »
    Ya! Like totally !

To be sure, To be sure boi

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

As someone said, the accent evolves. Irish accents as we know it probably will begin to have more and more of an american influence in them, but they won't be American accents.

Likewise plenty of American accents have been influenced by immigants, such as the notable Italian American 'Jawsey Shaw' accent.

Advertisement