Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tim & Eric Awesome European Tour, Iveagh Gardens July 21-24

• 17-06-2011 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

It's part of the Vodafone comedy festival.

Comments

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Can't see the pic... who is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 severely

Gridlock wrote: »
    Can't see the pic... who is it?

I've attached the pic instead. twitpic doesn't seem to work with boards. Tim and Eric are an absurdest comic duo from the US. They have a show on the channel adult swim called "Tim and Eric's awesome show, great job!" You'll either love it or hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

severely wrote: »
    Not sure what the venue is or when the tickets are on sale but this should be awesome!

It's the Comedy festival in the Iveagh Gardens, €28 and on sale already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 severely

It's the Comedy festival in the Iveagh Gardens, €28 and on sale already.

Thanks. Looks like it's just the thursday night they are on. I can't go. Boo urns!

Ticketmaster link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

I absolutely cannot wait to see them live. Not too sure about them playing at a comedy festival though as their humour isn't really for everyone and I could see an audience not familiar with them to not enjoy it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MariaStar!

I can't wait have to buy my ticket soon, these guys will be amazing. People who don't "get them" disgust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Velvety

Tim said on his twitter that they were on Irish radio today. Anyone hear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wattlendaub

Velvety wrote: »
    Tim said on his twitter that they were on Irish radio today. Anyone hear it?

Yeah, I looked everywhere on the radio for such an appearance but it didn't seem like it happened...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tracy Lee

they were on Ray Darcy yesterday and it was pathetic. and not for anything Ray said or did. saw them last night in Iveagh Gardens and I lasted about 15 mins. I have a good sense of humour and go to lots of comedy. these guys are unbelievably bad. lots of young males laughing at the most infantile attempts at .....I'd like to say humour but there just wasnt any.

was talking to lots of comedians after and none of them saw any merit in these two. lots of people walking out too. asked a couple of guys what they found so funny and they said I just didnt get it. was over my head apparently. so I asked them to explain it to me and well....they couldnt. one lad told me john c reilly and will ferrell have been on their show. that didnt make what I was watching any funnier last night. apparently its all so bad that its actually brilliant. except it really isnt. andy kauffman this is not

so while fans of this act spend their time telling those that dont get it that its over their head, maybe they should spend a little time considering the prospect that its actually not. and that maybe they are laughing out loud at stuff the just isnt funny. which makes it kind of sad.

utter rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Moved from Gigs/Events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 smugairle

Second that Tracy re: Tim + Eric, have never walked out of a gig in my entire life but was simply stunned by the gargantuan lack of anything that remotely resembled humour… realised after 15 minutes that i was missing out on valuable beer time

Talentless morons trading on the back of they're fleeting associations with hollywood actors

Incredible contrast between them and Reggie Watts and Barry Murphy

Different strokes for different folks. I'd hate to hear someone saying "you just don't get it" as if their brand of humour is some pretentious secret, because they are genuinely funny. I got drawn in by their fake tv adverts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31wzAwjsRSY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKA3B-eBIAE

Now I love everything they do.

Tracy Lee wrote: »

so while fans of this act spend their time telling those that dont get it that its over their head, maybe they should spend a little time considering the prospect that its actually not. and that maybe they are laughing out loud at stuff the just isnt funny. which makes it kind of sad.

utter rubbish

I went to see the show last night and absolutely loved it. I would never say to someone that didn't like it that they just didn't get it. It's not for everyone and I've played their dvd's to enough of my friends to realise that not everyone likes it. That's fine and that's their own personal opinion.
    Have you seen their tv show at all? If you have then you knew exactly what to expect. Many of the sketches from the show were recreated for the stage so I personally knew what I was getting myself into. If you didn't like it that's grand but to go online and say that the show is terrible and accusing all the people that were laughing of telling people it's over their head is very ignorant.

I went to see the show last night and absolutely loved it. I would never say to someone that didn't like it that they just didn't get it. It's not for everyone and I've played their dvd's to enough of my friends to realise that not everyone likes it. That's fine and that's their own personal opinion.
    Have you seen their tv show at all? If you have then you knew exactly what to expect. Many of the sketches from the show were recreated for the stage so I personally knew what I was getting myself into. If you didn't like it that's grand but to go online and say that the show is terrible and accusing all the people that were laughing of telling people it's over their head is very ignorant.

whats ignorant about it? its my experience of the gig. also its the experience of 3 other people that were with me, 4 well known comedians I spoke with afterwards and several other people I was talking to at the after show drink up. since the gig I have watched numerous clips of them online including the vodka advert sketch. I found that mildly amusing. but certainly not good comedy. their earlier series 'tom goes to the mayor??" held no laughs for me and I assume that laughs are their intention. their latest show is just nonsense

knowing the lines and repeating them does not make for good humour. andrew dice clay had a career based on people repeating his offensive nursery rhymes. thousands would show up to recite this 'poetry' in unison with the comic 'genius'. was it funny. nah it really wasnt. it was rubbish. but he was popular.

if you find singing the word diarrhea for 4 minutes is funny then I really dont know what to say. I watched a couple of guys in front of me literally doubled up in laughter at this. seriously what were they laughing at? the ridiculous outfits they were wearing? is that really comedy? or their second act when they pretended they had been given an award and waffled on about how touched they were. honestly if a couple of college students had stood up on stage and tried that they'd have been bood off. it was appallingly bad writing and poor performance. I really dont know what else to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gruntled

While I didn't go it sounds like people who actually paid for a ticket enjoyed the show. I've no problem people going to stuff for nothing, they can always leave if it doesn't suit. Sounds like Tracy was going around to people who were obviously enjoying themselves asking them what they're laughing at. 'Explain why this is funny, please, now. 15 words.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I heard from a big fan of Tim and Eric that they reused a lot of the videos they already have online which they were very disappointed about.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I heard from a big fan of Tim and Eric that they reused a lot of the videos they already have online which they were very disappointed about.
    Yeah that's true. That was one of the only downsides I felt to the show. However the clips were just there to provide time for costume and set changes

whats ignorant about it? its my experience of the gig. also its the experience of 3 other people that were with me, 4 well known comedians I spoke with afterwards and several other people I was talking to at the after show drink up. since the gig I have watched numerous clips of them online including the vodka advert sketch. I found that mildly amusing. but certainly not good comedy. their earlier series 'tom goes to the mayor??" held no laughs for me and I assume that laughs are their intention. their latest show is just nonsense

knowing the lines and repeating them does not make for good humour. andrew dice clay had a career based on people repeating his offensive nursery rhymes. thousands would show up to recite this 'poetry' in unison with the comic 'genius'. was it funny. nah it really wasnt. it was rubbish. but he was popular.

if you find singing the word diarrhea for 4 minutes is funny then I really dont know what to say. I watched a couple of guys in front of me literally doubled up in laughter at this. seriously what were they laughing at? the ridiculous outfits they were wearing? is that really comedy? or their second act when they pretended they had been given an award and waffled on about how touched they were. honestly if a couple of college students had stood up on stage and tried that they'd have been bood off. it was appallingly bad writing and poor performance. I really dont know what else to say

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realise 4 well known comedians agreed with you because being in the business automatically makes their opinion way more valid than someone who also thoroughly enjoys comedy.
    First off don't put them even close as being in the same league as Andrew Dice Clay as you know full well there's no comparison whether you like Tim and Eric or not. They weren't quoting exact lines from the show in hopes that their fans would chant along. They recreated themes and characters from the show and done them for a stage environment.
    How is your comment claiming that "fans of this act spend their time telling those that dont get it that its over their head" and "maybe they should spend a little time considering the prospect that its actually not" ignorant? Well maybe because in your personal opinion it's not funny but you're accusing all fans of the show that they react in this way and then go on to say that they should think about it more to realise that it's not funny. Which I think is quite ignorant and tarnishing a lot of people with the same brush.
    I went to see Andrew Maxwell afterwards and did not enjoy it in the slightest as I felt the jokes were hack premises that have been done to death over the years and also relied on Dublin slang to get laughs. Two of my friends agreed while another two disagreed. The last thing I'd do is go onto a message board on Andrew Maxwell's gig and claim he was one of the most boring acts I've seen and he's terrible because it clearly wasn't aimed at me, I certainly wouldn't ask fans of him to spend time thinking of the prospect that he's not funny and call them said for liking him. I wouldn't force my personal opinion and wouldn't want fans of his to be put down.
    As for them singing the word diarrhea for 4 minutes in ridiculous costumes. The joke there was that it was a terrible and childish opening that they dragged on for well over the time it should have been. The humour with it was that it was a terrible sketch, not only that but it was a long excrutiatingly terrible sketch with no sense of shame or intellect. This is why after the sketch was finished they pretended they had been given an award for the vodafone comedy best sketch. The humour being that they had received the award for what was essentially an intentionally bad sketch.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

I was at the show and had a great time. People I was with who weren't familiar with their show had a great time. The comedians that I know enjoyed it and like their stuff. The crowd were laughing, although clearly there were people who didn't like it, which is true for any comedy show, really. If you didn't enjoy it that is a shame, but that is the nature of subjectivity.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to shout at people about why Jackson Pollack paintings aren't art.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

In conclusion, some people like some comedians, while other people don't and prefer other comedians.

Gruntled wrote: »
    While I didn't go it sounds like people who actually paid for a ticket enjoyed the show. I've no problem people going to stuff for nothing, they can always leave if it doesn't suit. Sounds like Tracy was going around to people who were obviously enjoying themselves asking them what they're laughing at. 'Explain why this is funny, please, now. 15 words.'

you couldnt be more wrong. in actual fact people were streaming out shaking their heads and chatting with all around about how poor they thought the show was. this then turned into chats with those who came out having stayed for the entire show and enjoyed it. its called mingling and discussing what youve just seen. for my money i've never been to anything less funny so it would follow that I would confess to those that thought it hilarious that I didnt get it and ask what was i missing exactly.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realise 4 well known comedians agreed with you because being in the business automatically makes their opinion way more valid than someone who also thoroughly enjoys comedy.
    First off don't put them even close as being in the same league as Andrew Dice Clay as you know full well there's no comparison whether you like Tim and Eric or not. They weren't quoting exact lines from the show in hopes that their fans would chant along. They recreated themes and characters from the show and done them for a stage environment.
    How is your comment claiming that "fans of this act spend their time telling those that dont get it that its over their head" and "maybe they should spend a little time considering the prospect that its actually not" ignorant? Well maybe because in your personal opinion it's not funny but you're accusing all fans of the show that they react in this way and then go on to say that they should think about it more to realise that it's not funny. Which I think is quite ignorant and tarnishing a lot of people with the same brush.
    I went to see Andrew Maxwell afterwards and did not enjoy it in the slightest as I felt the jokes were hack premises that have been done to death over the years and also relied on Dublin slang to get laughs. Two of my friends agreed while another two disagreed. The last thing I'd do is go onto a message board on Andrew Maxwell's gig and claim he was one of the most boring acts I've seen and he's terrible because it clearly wasn't aimed at me, I certainly wouldn't ask fans of him to spend time thinking of the prospect that he's not funny and call them said for liking him. I wouldn't force my personal opinion and wouldn't want fans of his to be put down.
    As for them singing the word diarrhea for 4 minutes in ridiculous costumes. The joke there was that it was a terrible and childish opening that they dragged on for well over the time it should have been. The humour with it was that it was a terrible sketch, not only that but it was a long excrutiatingly terrible sketch with no sense of shame or intellect. This is why after the sketch was finished they pretended they had been given an award for the vodafone comedy best sketch. The humour being that they had received the award for what was essentially an intentionally bad sketch.

well now I have an explanation of the diarrhea sketch. guess what? thats exactly how I interpretated it. saying its funny cos its so not funny. ok.. genius.

as for the other comedians. well their opinion is interesting. cos being in the business sometimes makes them aware of a talent not immediately apparent to the untrained eye. timing, improvisation, control of an audience and other great comedic skills can be appreciated by the professionals even if the humour is sometimes difficult to grasp. in a way that a cinematographer would appreciate anothers work based on technical and artistic mastery that is not immediately obvious to the movie watcher. I actually thought that these guys might be an example of the 'comedians comedian'. no on that score too.

as for coming on here to slate them well apologies. I thought I was on a discussion board. I didnt realise this thread was only for those who wanted to say nice things about them.

I was at the show and had a great time. People I was with who weren't familiar with their show had a great time. The comedians that I know enjoyed it and like their stuff. The crowd were laughing, although clearly there were people who didn't like it, which is true for any comedy show, really. If you didn't enjoy it that is a shame, but that is the nature of subjectivity.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to shout at people about why Jackson Pollack paintings aren't art.[/QUOTE]

knock yerself out

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ererer

I thought it was great craic, refreshing from the norm you get on the Dublin circuit.

as for the other comedians. well their opinion is interesting. cos being in the business sometimes makes them aware of a talent not immediately apparent to the untrained eye. timing, improvisation, control of an audience and other great comedic skills can be appreciated by the professionals even if the humour is sometimes difficult to grasp. in a way that a cinematographer would appreciate anothers work based on technical and artistic mastery that is not immediately obvious to the movie watcher. I actually thought that these guys might be an example of the 'comedians comedian'. no on that score too.

I can point you to plenty of comedians that are big fans of them. Will Ferrell, Graham Linehan, Peter Serafinowicz.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/may/31/tv-hero-tim-and-eric

It doesn't make either of us more right.
    In conclusion, some people like some comedians, while other people don't and prefer other comedians.
    That's probably the best place to leave this discussion.

Advertisement