Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP FOUND 2 YOUNG BIRDS IN GUTTER

• 21-05-2010 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

HELP PLEASE QUICK ADVICE NEEDED !

a lady found 2 birds in the gutter and gave them to me , they fell of the roof , 1 seems fine but the other not so much , was told a vet will do nuthin , i dont want them to be killed ,

any way i can make them survive ?

also i think there still to young to fly

al help needed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Merrion

They are unlikely to survive (sorry) but their best chance is if you keep them warm and fed. A shoe box with some j cloths and corned beef ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Put them in a box somewhere quiet as stress is a big killer.
    My aunt had some success with some swallows last year, feeding them cat food(high quality stuff, nearly all meat) and a few drops of water at a time.
    But they were almost ready to fly, I think they fledged about 3 days after.
    Sorry can't be more help, but I'm sure someone will have some good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

thanx for advice , il take pics and upload them , i was told to kill them , but i wanna take a chance and hope they survive

here is a pic of the little guys

any 1 no what they are ?

bird11600x1200.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Starlings ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

The one to the foreground of the picture really doesn't look that good at all. It looks to be seriously injured and in a lot of pain.

The other one looks ok, however, and should survive. I don't really have much more to add to the advice given above - keeping them warm, quiet and well fed is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'd put a towel over the cage, but with a hole for enough air to come in, and keep them somewhere quiet and warm (but not in sunlight or next to a radiator, not too warm). Leave them a small bowl of water and try to feed them chunks of tinned cat food (that's what I've seen done anyway) using tweezers or something. I hope they'll be ok

thebishop wrote: »
    Starlings ?

thanks jus looked up baby starling at the pic are the same

i have some cornd beef , and i gave them water ,

the 1 standing seems grand but as you see the 1 lyin down isnt to good ,

he is realy responsove

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Good work. We had an exhausted starling arrive with us once.

I put him in a box and kept him fed and watered. I thought he was a goner but he came round. I took him to local nutgrove vet who was happy to check him over. He checked his wings were ok and recommended going home and whooshing him out of your hands towards a bush.

He flapped his way into the bush and hung on. He then vanished from there.
    Hopefully he went off and was ok. Moral of the story is they are fighters and worth giving a chance. I'd say though if the little one doesn't come round to stand up in 48hrs I'd think about ending any suffering he may be in.

Worth feeding him with a syringe or similar?

Hope you have some success with them.

thanks for the advice every one , sadly the the ill one died early thismorning ,
    other one seems fine , eating like a good thing ,
    tried gething him out of the cage to see if he would fly but no joy , he flaps his wings but goes no where but jus likes running around and coming back to me , he's curently feeding on corned beef wich he seems to love by the way lol

any thing else i can feed him ?

• Advertisement

Aw :( it's probably for the best though. At least the other one is ok.

I think you can feed them tinned cat food.

have just been on a walk and it looks like another one fell from the same roof but this time it looks fully grown but it is dead , ,

any 1 no what could be the cause of this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

If you could, worms would be very good to feed the remaining bird, this is what they're fed by parents. The little one needs to be wrapped up better than he is now though.

Maybe you could have a look in the gutter and see if there's any more up there? Though by now if the other was fully grown, the rest of the clutch might have already fledged.

I think it's most likely that the fledgelings are a little clumsy and tend to fall out of the next. I went into the horse's stable this evening to put down the bed and found two young jackdaws in the straw. Thankfully the horse was out all day so they were ok, but I had to pick them up and put them in a box up near the nest so hopefully the mother will find them and continue to feed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Merrion wrote: »
    corned beef ?
    Doesn't this have a high salt content and isn't really a balanced diet.

Don't handle them.

Victor wrote: »
    Don't handle them.

This is something that confused me recently...

I was always told never to handle nestlings/fledgelings who'd fallen out of the nest because the mother could abandon the nest as a result. So this evening I used hay and straw to pick up the young birds rather than actually touching them with my hands. No problem there.

However, I was watching the news the other day where there was a report that birds of prey (I think it was red kites) had hatched in the wild for the first time in ages. However, they brought one of the chicks down from the nest and allowed pictures to be taken of it and even gave it to Gormely to hold and to have his picture taken with it. Because the chick was handled by humans is there not a risk that the mother would abandon it because the nest would have been threatened? Or is it only certain breeds who react like that? Or is just an old wives' tale?

i had to handle them as ther legs wer stuck in the sewr on the grounds,

also ther were some adult birds dead also i noticed when i was walking ,
    i seen a guy sparyin weed killer on the paths and stuff , could this of had an effect on them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

If there were adult birds dead I'd say the spraying had a lot to do with it.

On a happier note my father noticed his youngest cat getting very excited at a gutter over which he'd put wire netting to stop leaves falling in and clogging it up. When he investigated he found a young mistle thrush (they haven't been seen in the area in years) had somehow got under the wire netting and couldn't get out. He brought the cat indoors and took up the netting and the bird flew off none the worse for his adventure. He's still trying to figure how the bird got under the netting in the first place.

convert wrote: »
    However, I was watching the news the other day where there was a report that birds of prey (I think it was red kites) had hatched in the wild for the first time in ages. However, they brought one of the chicks down from the nest and allowed pictures to be taken of it and even gave it to Gormely to hold and to have his picture taken with it. Because the chick was handled by humans is there not a risk that the mother would abandon it because the nest would have been threatened? Or is it only certain breeds who react like that? Or is just an old wives' tale?

It could be an old wives tale. They say the same thing with baby rabbits and it's not true at all, I handled my baby rabbits twice a day since they were born and the mother didn't mind at all. But maybe it's different if someone handled a wild rabbit or if the mother rabbit wasn't friendly and used to people. They say the same with hamsters, but I don't know if that's true?

morganafay wrote: »
    It could be an old wives tale. They say the same thing with baby rabbits and it's not true at all, I handled my baby rabbits twice a day since they were born and the mother didn't mind at all. But maybe it's different if someone handled a wild rabbit or if the mother rabbit wasn't friendly and used to people. They say the same with hamsters, but I don't know if that's true?

I think it's very different with wild animals than with domesticated animals. My mare was really pleased when I paid attention to her new foal a few years ago, and even showed her off to me, but if I went up to a foal in the wild, I'm pretty sure the mare wouldn't react in the same way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Starlings don't have a good sense of smell so forget about the handling part. Starling parents tend to leave their chicks on the ground so they learn to fly back up. Has it imprinted on you?

How often are you feeding him?

i was feeding them every few hours,

they werent left on the ground they fell and ther legs were stuck in the gutter , ther was a dead adult one on the ground the other day i think it was caused by the guy sparyin weed killer on the ground

Advertisement