Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

20% off Dunnes Stores Online Today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

et voila!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

CH3OH wrote: »
    WUMMING
    The verb form of WUM (Wind-Up Merchant), a predominantly online phenomena of espousing contrary viewpoints purely to string people along and get a reaction from others. A mild-mannered form of trolling.

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

CH3OH wrote: »
    WUMMING
    The verb form of WUM (Wind-Up Merchant), a predominantly online phenomena of espousing contrary viewpoints purely to string people along and get a reaction from others. A mild-mannered form of trolling.

You really do learn something new every day

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

dtipp wrote: »

This is a chance for Dunnes Stores customers to think more than just themselves for one day.

Some people don't have the money to do that... an offer is an offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Gatling wrote: »
    You really do learn something new every day

Really, and what did you learn yesterday? (PS....I'm wumming btw:D)

• Advertisement

I don't have a problem with a business turning a profit. But if you have to do it by routinely using zero-hour contracts then something is wrong.

Is there any definitive source of a list of businesses known to use zero-hour contracts? I'd boycott the lot of them personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

pic.jpg

At least the BA was useful to some!

Thanks again OP

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭SJ.

I did not speak...
    :/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There will always be a scab about, Dunnes are merely trying to take advantage of that by doing this online.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

The response here is outrageous.

The obvious part: The picket is disencouraging shoppers from going in stores today. Dunnes are only trying to offset the deficit they will make in stores today by making some profits online.

The less obvious part: Buying products online won't affect the outcome of the picket. In fact, how much money they make or lose in 24 hours won't make them think twice. Also, the protest isn't all black and white and many staff are quite happy - so are you happy not to give them business when they are trying to make an honest living?

If you want to make some proper action and actually support the picket? Start a boycott that will seriously make some indentations into Dunne's cash flow. Boycott for weeks until Dunnes gives in, boycott in numbers and systematically across all stores. Perhaps then, will Dunnes actually correlate money losing to giving their staff what they want.

As for principles? What about that 30% off Nike runners that were fabricated in China by children earning $1 a week. Or what about those cans of coke that had a 'rad bargain' and were fabricated by Coca Cola again exploiting people in third world countries. I can go on you know...
    Principles? Standards??? Yeah right!!

The picket has already been successful in generating a stir and media coverage. The work's been done and most likely now some settlement will be reached internally in Dunnes.

Why don't you do yourself a favor and just enjoy the 20% off everything. Sure it was better than what they had going after Christmas! Enjoy easter!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

There seems to be a lack of understanding as to what a strike is. It's usually a last resort, and is not a day off.

I won't support Dunnes today but I can understand why people would want to avail of this offer. Very crafty of Dunnes Stores. Makes me back their workers even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Muahahaha wrote: »
    There will always be a scab about, Dunnes are merely trying to take advantage of that by doing this online.

You do know that a scab is someone who passes a picket to WORK and not just to trade in the place of business?

SJ. wrote: »
    :/

I think you messed up with your quote there... try again

Einstein? wrote: »
    As for principles? What about that 30% off Nike runners that were fabricated in China by children earning $1 a week. Or what about those cans of coke that had a 'rad bargain' and were fabricated by Coca Cola again exploiting people in third world countries. I can go on you know...
    Principles? Standards??? Yeah right!!

Why don't you do yourself a favor and just enjoy the 20% off everything. Sure it was better than what they had going after Christmas!

Taking a stand against sweatshop labour etc wouldn't make a difference to those companies even if everyone in Ireland supported it.
    Opposing zero-hour contracts in your local area is something that can be successful if enough people have reasonable morals.

Some good deals on their eggs in store :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

s8n wrote: »
    Fair dues to Dunnes on this one - not their fault the workers decided to take the day off

Then who's fault is it? It's Dunnes who wont give proper working contracts and pay to their staff.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Then who's fault is it? It's Dunnes who wont give proper working contracts and pay to their staff.

No one is forced to work there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Go get your 20% off then so, and remember it for as long as you can.

I'll be remembering 1984 today.

Some of them are a little intimidating, shouting in our faces as we went in. Regardless of my views, I will not be told what to do.

Kettleson wrote: »

Yeah its a good book.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMgaysB-efUjzhWQ0BOYBqp1hrmX4Ip-zoO3beQRrN_TXqA4Us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I think I will go in and show solidarity with management!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭towelly

MrWalsh wrote: »
    No one is forced to work there.

You'd wonder why anyone strikes at all. If people feel they have unfair working conditions, or if they haven't been paid, sure wouldn't it be easier for everyone if they just moved along and changed job or even profession.

Kettleson wrote: »

Totally different mindsets involved in both strikes.

I'd boycott Dunnes today for apartheid reasons - not for the reasons behind this strike.

If I didn't like aspects of my job I'd leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Interesting poll on the Journal site, thankfully the Dunnes workers are being supported by the majority.

At present, 83% of those polled say they wouldn't shop in Dunnes today.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/dunnes-stores-strike-shop-2026411-Apr2015/

towelly wrote: »
    You'd wonder why anyone strikes at all. If people feel they have unfair working conditions, or if they haven't been paid, sure wouldn't it be easier for everyone if they just moved along and changed job or even profession.

Well if they havent been paid they have legal recourse. But ultimately we are all responsible for ourselves. If I dont like my working conditions I get a different job. Other people prefer to whinge and insist that changes are made to accommodate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Bit like Irish water.....everyone says they're against it but will happily order online today to get 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Well if they havent been paid they have legal recourse. But ultimately we are all responsible for ourselves. If I dont like my working conditions I get a different job. Other people prefer to whinge and insist that changes are made to accommodate them.

I'm glad it's that easy for you!
    Where do you live with such an abundance of jobs?!
    Strike action is not taken lightly in any job.

I'm glad it's that easy for you!
    Where do you live with such an abundance of jobs?!
    Strike action is not taken lightly in any job.

At my own expense of time and money I have educated and skilled myself to such a standard that my skills are in demand so if I choose to go look for another job I can get one relatively easily. Anyone is free to do the same. We are all responsible for ourselves.

This isnt a third world country. If you leave a Dunnes job your family wont starve. No one is forced to work there, they choose to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Some of them are a little intimidating, shouting in our faces as we went in. Regardless of my views, I will not be told what to do.

You couldn't have just gone in yesterday or tomorrow? It HAD to be Dunnes, and HAD to be today? What did you expect when you were passing a picket line?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement