Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Or Toaster Spark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Dave! wrote: »
    On Thursday I'll be having a poem I wrote critiqued by the people in my writing class! Scary! :eek: It's one thing posting it on the internet, cos you aren't real people :D, but I'll have to look these people in the face while they quote me bits of it :o (and tell me how shíte it is)

Just be glad you have a group willing to call you out on your ****e writing! They're surprisingly rare.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Or Toaster Spark

Or ToastedSparklers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

bluewolf wrote: »
    You can be toasterparks this time!

:D:D

Right. Research done. Plot outlined. I'm almost ready to start writing this massive story, but I'm out of practice and haven't written anything in months.

Somebody give me a prompt or a concept or a something and I'll write a thousand word story on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Antilles wrote: »
    Right. Research done. Plot outlined. I'm almost ready to start writing this massive story, but I'm out of practice and haven't written anything in months.

Somebody give me a prompt or a concept or a something and I'll write a thousand word story on it.

The Sailing Ship

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

God I need inspiration - who thought the recession could be so draining? :p I'm trying to write a story for that "Legends of the Fall" comp with Irish times but having a real difficult time of it.

Das Kitty - how goes the writing class? I was part of a writing class in Donabate before and it made me so productive. I really need to get back into one of them...

Rubecula wrote: »
    The Sailing Ship

:)

Watch this space!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

hcass wrote: »
    God I need inspiration - who thought the recession could be so draining? :p I'm trying to write a story for that "Legends of the Fall" comp with Irish times but having a real difficult time of it.

Das Kitty - how goes the writing class? I was part of a writing class in Donabate before and it made me so productive. I really need to get back into one of them...

I'm not writing in class. I've only really had the energy to start back again in the past week or so and it's been mostly finishing little bits and editing. I have a rough idea for the Legends of the Fall competition I'm going to start at the weekend. It's going to be my pre-baby goal to get my entry in for that.

I agree fully on the recession as a topic. I'm sure people must be sick of it by now.

EDIT -- Everyone seems to have returned to the CW forum with the rain. :P

Ok, here we go.

Joe Fitz had a secret. Most days, his secret didn't matter. But today would not be like most days.

"Turn that damn thing down, will you?" he shouted at the oily-faced intern who had raised the volume of the office television. The spotty teenager didn't respond and after a moment, Joe looked up. The intern, along with everyone else in the office, stood staring at the wall-mounted screen. Usually the television displayed stock values and scrolling financial data. Occasionally, Joe would switch it to a business report, but today it was tuned to a regular news channel.

"--has confirmed the asteroid will hit the western hemisphere, but total planetary destruction is inevitable," the pale announcer said. "Just three weeks remain."

Joe's own skin turned the colour of paper. He thought about his wife of fifty years, Nancy. Around the world, many people thought of their wives at that moment, or their husbands, children, parents or grandparents. Most people felt concern or fear. Only Joe Fitz felt hope. He left the office and sped home.

Nearly fifty years ago, he had been a fresh college graduate, visiting his parent's farm in Ireland. The weather was awful, which was normal for Ireland, but one night during a particularly heavy storm, he had heard a deafening crash from the barn. Smoke billowed from a hole in the roof and inside, beneath the hole, sat a metallic craft.

Within the craft lay the extra-terrestrial woman who would eventually become his wife.

Nancy wasn't home. Joe stood in the doorway and frowned. Two children played football on the road. A man in a suit strode towards the bus stop. Their suburban street, home for the past decade, seemed surprising calm given the impending apocalypse. Joe returned to the car and checked his phone. He had signal, but every attempt to call met with silence. He gave up and drove to her office. Nancy waited outside when he arrived.

"You've heard?" she asked as he closed the car door. She looked entirely human, thanks to what she called ‘convergent evolution'. Only the piercing violet of her eyes, now wet with tears, betrayed her secret. Joe nodded. He wrapped his arms around his wife and gazed into her eyes. She had aged more beautifully than any woman he knew.

"Total destruction," she said. "What are we going to do?"

"Nancy--" he began. "I thought... your ship?"

She tilted her head.

After her crash, Nancy had spent every moment in the barn, repairing her solar sail, pausing only to request supplies. It had taken six months, most of that spent together. They had fallen in love beneath a damaged space rig.

"Oh Joe," she said, and took his hand. "There's nowhere to go."

"But your world--"

"--is too far away," she said. "The ship could sail the solar currents home--"

"--but we couldn't," he finished.

She nodded. A ten year journey, Joe realised. His liver spotted hands were shaking. Suddenly, he felt very, very old.

Joe and Nancy had never had children. They had considered adopting, but decided it was too much of a risk. For the next two weeks, they spent as much time as possible together.

Joe spent every evening calling distant friends and family, some of whom he hadn't seen in years. He sat beside the land line telephone with a scrap of paper, striking off names as he went. "Hi, Carl? It's Joe, Joe Fitz. Yeah, not too bad, considering," he said. "Sally? Hey! Joe Fitz here, how've you been?" He made amends where necessary, but in most cases there was surprisingly little left to say. Nobody ever said good bye. "See you later, Sally." "Talk to you soon, Carl."

One freezing night, Nancy opened the back door while he was on the phone and walked into the garden. Joe considered following but realised she might need time alone. He lifted the remote control but found every station tuned to a test card. The studio workers had long since gone home to their families. He turned off the screen as his wife stepped back inside, shaking. "Joe?" she called in a flat monotone. He frowned and jumped up, then ran into the kitchen.

His wife's eyes were wide, her skin as pale as snow. "What's wrong?" She shook her head and swallowed. "They lied," she said. "I checked on my ship." She gripped his hands tightly and looked into his eyes. "It's tonight."

"How long have we got?" Joe asked, staring out the door at the huge red star burning brighter than the others. "Six hours," she replied. He winced. Not even until dawn. They stood together in silence until Joe began to shiver. "I'll make some cocoa," Nancy said. They linked hands and sat at their hardwood table. They talked for hours and the cocoa went cold.

"What do you want more than anything?" Nancy asked.

"Another sunrise with you."

She smiled and squeezed his hand, then led him into the garden towards the shed where she kept her spacecraft. The sky burned red.

"There's no time..." Joe said. "Time enough," she replied.

They dragged the ship onto the grass and stepped inside. It was a tight fit, but neither complained. Soon, a rumbling filled the cabin and Joe felt pressed into his seat. Then the sensation eased and the roof became translucent.

"It's gorgeous," Joe said. Below them, the dark Earth turned. Dots of light along the coastline formed an inky map. The asteroid, a vivid red tear, burned far below. The solar sails unfurled, beautiful but unneeded. "Wait for it," Nancy said.

They sat in silence, their arms entwined, until a brilliant dawn broke from behind the Earth, spilling light across the globe.

Joe gasped. "Another sunrise," his wife said.

"If we have to go..." Joe began.

Far below, the asteroid finished its journey through the atmosphere and struck the planet with a blinding flash that filled the cockpit.

"I know," Nancy replied.

She leaned forward and kissed him on the lips.

• Advertisement

That was pretty darned good Antilles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hey people :)

Just wondering are there people here who are able to work in some capacity as a "writer" full-time? :)

I'm getting a bit sick of my current career (software developer), even though I'm still pretty early in it. Would love to do something involving creative writing, but (a) I don't imagine there are too many decent jobs which would allow you to support yourself full-time, and (b) I'm not prolific enough in my writing - just getting started really, though I think I could be good.

I think I'm just posting here to vent :) Any suggestions for how to steer myself in the direction of getting published somewhere? I don't even know what kind of stuff I want to write :( I like writing political stuff sometimes - I've had a few letters printed in the Irish Times, maybe I should aim to get a proper article/column published somehow.

I'm also getting more interested in poetry lately, maybe entering a competition or something would be good.

I'm going to do another creative writing evening class in October I think. Might give me a bit more guidance/structure/direction.

p.s.

If anyone felt like offering some feedback... :pac:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057027563

I don't actually know anywhere online (besides Boards) where I can get feedback on stuff, which is a bit frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Antilles wrote: »

Here's one I'd like to see: A couple discover they're expecting their first baby. Man is calm as a cucumber but it's the woman who's freaking out.

Not sure if it's a cliche but I've been looking for a decent fic in this vein and I've yet to find one without it being the father doing all the worrying. :confused:

EDIT: Ooops! Didn't see that post you had up. Brilliant stuff! I want to read more of your work!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Hi Dave!

You said quite a lot, so I figured I would break it up a little, to better answer you.

Just wondering are there people here who are able to work in some capacity as a "writer" full-time? :)

I think alfa beta and Eileen G are full time "writers," but I couldn't be 100% sure. When I write, it's usually full time, but I wouldn't class myself as a "writer," and I wouldn't class the "full time" writing as "pen to paper" writing time either, since I spend gobs of time just thinking about the upcoming things I'm going to write about, and because I probably spend more than 3/4 of the time doing that, I should probably class myself as a "thinker," but that sounds supercilious, and that darned red mark under my chin and on my left knee really hurts when I think - I think I'm going to stop doing that . . . so I would conclude I'm just a "dabbler," meaning that you probably wouldn't want to take anything I say to heart.

I'm getting a bit sick of my current career (software developer), even though I'm still pretty early in it. Would love to do something involving creative writing, but

I would say you should just write in your spare time to keep the money flowing in - especially since I heard that film developing is pretty well a lost art - obviously pushed out by this fancy new "software developing" thing - and it sounds so much less messy . . . like, is it you like pressing "printscreen" all day? And it's so modern and sexy sounding. I'll bet you really pull with a job like that!

(a) I don't imagine there are too many decent jobs which would allow you to support yourself full-time, and

You would probably end up getting a job writing software manuals, or writing the text that appears in pop-ups when you press the "?" button and hover over to a field. I wrote a Microsoft Access database program once (for internal use only) where I said really ridiculous things under the notes for all the cells. Nobody read them anyway. I had to train them mano-a-mano. We still use it, 14 years later, and I still sometimes notice a few of them along the bottom of the screen, quietly insulting me as I press the tab button. We tripled our business in 2 years partly because of that program I wrote. But if I were to do that full time, I would be bored shiftless within a couple of months.

The primary key is to sit down at the table, practice writing by writing "code," if you know what I'm saying, and some day someone may query you form a project. Then you can decide whether to quit your job or do both until your job starts to cramp your writing style.

(b) I'm not prolific enough in my writing - just getting started really, though I think I could be good.

I think so too, on both counts. Your poem was good. Maybe you should challenge alfa beta to a GD (gamma delta) story on THE ARENA.

I think I'm just posting here to vent :)

Sniff, sniff? A bit like going to the "feelies" in Brave New World? I think I'm venting, too. I've hardly written anything in a month and a bit.

Any suggestions for how to steer myself in the direction of getting published somewhere?

Every time you post something, it is deemed to have been published. If you actually want money for it, then it will be a little more difficult. Blogs are free.

I don't even know what kind of stuff I want to write :( I like writing political stuff sometimes - I've had a few letters printed in the Irish Times,

Yes, but have you had the IT delete any stories after they were posted? I can claim that fame. You need to light a fire under your political ash (shorry.) But political becomes apolitical quite quickly.[<< primary key]

maybe I should aim to get a proper article/column published somehow.

Blogs are quicker, and you get lots of practice.

I'm also getting more interested in poetry lately, maybe entering a competition or something would be good.

Just add more poetry to your original thread . . . that false flag poem was well written. I'm still tying to figure it out.

I'm going to do another creative writing evening class in October I think. Might give me a bit more guidance/structure/direction.

Look for the weirdest person in the class and hang on for the ride.

If anyone felt like offering some feedback... :pac:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057027563

I will comment soon, but I haven't had time, lately.

I don't actually know anywhere online (besides Boards) where I can get feedback on stuff, which is a bit frustrating.

Post all over the place and you will get your feedback. My budsky, Steve, has had almost 3700 3800 unique views, so far, on a single (most inflammatory) post here. It is still climbing.

If you discover and build your own invisible Celtic Fire - you can paint your wagon the way you want.

PS: that wasn't me or any of our other regular crackpot professionals that posted those HAL 9000 messages to you the other week. We're still trying to figure out who it was . . .

PPS: I've been working with Steve is on the 5th iteration of an email to the Musical Banks. The eckin' farcehole called me Mittyesque!

Hey . . . that gives me an idea!

EDIT: The idea is a multi-fold story that will be based on the invisible source engine for creativity to help Dave! and another question who gave amanfromMars and I a sheer myocardial infraction over trying to do this once before, a story to help give Steve the key to croft craft the 6th or maybe 7th iteration of his email to Elevation Partners, alfa beta, to have some hopefully humourous Aston Martin driving fun, and lastly, hcass, whose husband can seemingly dance forever, although we didn't get to see any dangling participles under the Magic Mountain, and who had a tough time finishing this book.

But firstly, some warm-ups.

Thanks for the post :) Some good stuff there to digest.

I've registered for the class in IADT in October. Looking forward to it! It's 20 weeks; the last one I did was 10 weeks and that felt like longer, so this one will probably be quite intensive :)

The tutor's name is Kevin Wallace, anyone familiar with him? Found this on Google, but not sure if this is him...

http://kevinwallacepoet.blogspot.ie/

Can't wait to start my next creative writing class! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Looks like one of my poems is going to be included in the next edition of the Stony Thursday Book.

One of my uncles was featured by them over 30 years ago, so it feels extra significant.

I'm sure I'll feel delighted once it sinks in!

Great news oh Senior Arthropod. You must feel very proud, and deserve to. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Rubecula wrote: »
    Great news oh Senior Arthropod. You must feel very proud, and deserve to. :)

Thanks! Very proud indeed! :) And by total coincidence, I'm going for coffee tomorrow with the girl who inspired the poem. :pac:

Coffee?

You filthy swine.

Buy her food,

And a glass of wine.

Treat her right,

Then you will be fine.

A nice girl like that,

Deserves to dine.

Book a table,

Don't stand in line.

Remember a stitch in time

Always saves nine.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Can we read the poem anywhere besides that publication? :P Congrats!

Btw how'd you get published, if you dont mind me asking? What's the process?

Can we read the poem anywhere besides that publication? :P Congrats!

Btw how'd you get published, if you dont mind me asking? What's the process?

I'll PM you. :) It's in Irish though.

Different publications will have different limits on how many poems to send, how many pages, etc. Some editors will want to stick to a set theme. If the editor likes what he/she sees, it gets in. Some editors might ask you to make a change or two first.

A load of blogs and other writing sites carried the call for submissions this summer. Here's one: http://maryhealybooks.blogspot.ie/2013/07/call-for-poetry-submissions-stony.html

Tomorrow I'm posting off my entry for a short-story & poetry competition :) I've never entered any competitions for writing before, but I'd like to chance my arm and see how I compare with more established writers. This one has no entry fee, so worth a go :pac:

And I'm starting a new creative writing class on Tuesday. Looking forward to that!

Writing class cancelled due to people pulling out/not enough demand :( Gutted!

Sympathies Dave. Is there any alternative?

Not really, I've spent loads of time looking for courses, but while there are always "creative writing" classes in any adult education place, I think they're geared more toward the suburban housewife demographic. I'm as interested in finding a course for the social element as for the creative side of things, so hoping to find something with people my own age ideally.

There was one in UCD which seemed good too, but it was booked up by the time I stumbled upon it. It has started already now anyway. Thanks IADT, let me know the day before the class is to commence, so that I have no time to arrange anything else. C*nts.

Will just keep an eye out I guess, there will probably be some more after Christmas. The UCD one begins again in February. I'll just keep working on stuff on my own in the meantime.

If anyone is aware of any decent evening classes, do share :) Thanks

Hmmm. Getting published is also easier when someone involved in a literary journal contacts you on Twitter with a personal invitation to submit some poems. :pac:

Got my first literary rejection the other day :D From the Penny Dreadful, which I submitted a couple of poems to. Wasn't expecting to be published really, was just chancing my arm.

Question though—when submitting poems, they usually expect some sort of brief bio to accompany. This is generally printed as a third-person description of the poet. Should it be written in the third-person when submitting, or do you write it as a first-person thing and they adapt it?

And do you suppose it puts me at a disadvantage when my bio basically says: "Dave has no history of publication, is just starting out on his literary career, and works 9-5 as a software developer"? I imagine there's an element of snobbishness among editors which would predispose them to accept "serious" writers over others—regardless of the quality of the writing.

I'm not saying that's why I was rejected—I'd just like to know for the future, to give myself the best chance I can of being published.

In more positive news, the Big Smoke Writing Factory are doing a 6 week poetry class beginning in January :) I'll be signing up for that!

• Advertisement

Did anyone go to any of the events for the Dublin Genius day yesterday?

Listed here, though obviously it's finished now!
    http://leviathan.ie/nye-dublin-genius.pdf

I went to the poetry reading presented by Philip Lynch in the Church on Mary St, and also went to Come Here To Me, which was in P Mac's bar. Both venues were terrible I thought—unless you were right at the front, you had little chance of hearing anything. Most of the people were not there for the events, so were just talking amongst themselves and being loud. Obviously the organisers can't exactly tell 4/5ths of the room to "shhh", so they were pretty much just trying to talk over the loudness. Pretty crap.

I also went to the Monday Echo in the International Bar, and that was awesome. I was at it once before and thought it was great then too. This one was all poetry/spoken word stuff, whereas it's normally open to singer-songwriters too. Anyone been to it before? Performed?

Advertisement