Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Silly Sky+ question

• 04-12-2005 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭

As the heading says, this is a silly question but im getting plus installed next week and just wanted to know: if I pause a programme can I then fast forward it until the point of the live broadcast resumes, i.e. pausing footie game at half time while I go to the shops and then when I get back fast forward the half time analysis until I reach the point that the match starts again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

yeah u can

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Ah how I love sky+

*hugs +box*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yes you can do that. The Sky+ box now also has 80GB storage, compared to the old one which I have got which is only 40GB

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

he must be getting the pvr3 then which looks like a 160 box

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Cheers guys for the info. I was pretty sure you couls but in all the Sky+ propaganda all you ever hear about is live pause and rewind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Another rather silly Sky+ Question, I have read on the internet that if take an ordinary Sky box and add to it a hard drive that it then become a sky+ box. It sounds bizarre i know, but does it actually work? Also i am thinking of getting a DVD recorder/Personal video recorder 80GB combo for xmas. Anyone know if these thing are a good buy? I was hoping be able to record stuff to the HD and then transfer stuff onto DVD and then back the whole lot up on my 160GB PC HD. I have seen on some of the newer Sky boxes, DVB and PVR what exactly does these mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

netwhizkid wrote:
    I have read on the internet that if take an ordinary Sky box and add to it a hard drive that it then become a sky+ box

no as a Sky+ box has 2 lnb inputs allowing one to record one channel while watching another. ordinary Sky box has one

Would it be possible to add a Hard Drive and just record the channel i'd be watching without having to pay $ky whatever Sky+ costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

No. As the software supplied to a normal Sky digibox will not support a hard drive.

DMC wrote:
    No. As the software supplied to a normal Sky digibox will not support a hard drive.

Thanks for that, At least now i know! Those DVD PVR combos are looking good anyway. Now do you know the Santa's Address? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Nor indeed is there really anyplace to put a HD in a ordnary Sky box.

(There is a large PC Card / PCMCIA style slot at back, but those kind of drives are not good for TV recording nor is likeley that the socket supports one).

Some receivers such as Reel box and Dreambox can be bought without HD and added later (up to 400G in some cases), but these will only receive Free To Air Sky channels, none of the ones that need a card to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 markg1961

I need to know if what I read in this thread is correct about the sky digibox. Can you record any channels when the sky box in not on? I know that you can only record the channel you are watching but what I wanted to do was record channels when I am not home and the tv is off. Is there any work around?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

markg1961 wrote:
    I need to know if what I read in this thread is correct about the sky digibox. Can you record any channels when the sky box in not on? I know that you can only record the channel you are watching but what I wanted to do was record channels when I am not home and the tv is off. Is there any work around?

Hiya, welcome along :)

The Sky box has to be on (not in stand-by) for a video or DVD recorder to record programming from the Sky box. The TV can be turned off.

My JVC S-VHS can even be programmed to select the Sky channel via a IR LED plugged into the VHS.

Some other recorders / PVRs DVD recorders can do this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 markg1961

This pioneer dvd recorder does have this ir, called g link. I have set it up as was demonstrated and when I try to tune in the channels, the tuner only finds whatever sky is tuned to. Doesn't the dvd tuner need to find the channels before you can use the ir dongle?

You tell the DVD to use the AV in, not the tuner.

Advertisement