Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what free antivirus can i use

• 08-10-2015 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

i have avast, but its just a trial
    is it ok to keep downloading the trial ? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EdenStudios

You mean repeatedly download the trial and reinstall it? I suspect most software vendors got round that years ago.

AFAIK Avast used to have a free version with basic capabilities. Coupled with your PC/Mac native anti-virus would it suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EdenStudios

BTW have a look at Kaspersky. For a home user, their security suites clock in around 50 EU PA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

You'll get a yearly version free from most software vendors. AVG and AVAST ect.

The free version is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Don't forget to use common sense it's the best anti virus.
    Never install anything you weren't specifically looking to install.
    Never follow hyperlinks without first checking were they are actually sending you.
    Don't open any attachments in emails if you haven't specifically asked the person to send you them.
    If an email has an attachment always check the email headers to make sure they have come from the 'sender' it's child's play to spoof the sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

Thanks guys for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there,

I recommend malware bytes and panda security there free and easy to use,hope i helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Charlie19 wrote: »
    You'll get a yearly version free from most software vendors. AVG and AVAST ect.

The free version is fine.

AVG - and when its up is it possible to remove it and reinstall it for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

vicwatson wrote: »

I don't use it myself..

I install avast then register with just an email and you get their services for a year:)

Avast then email when your year is nearly up and they give you an option for premium or go again with the basic.

I've been using avast on all my windows machines for about four years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭flutered

i use biadu anti virus, it has a nice bundle of software, it is cloud based also, i have it twinned with kingsoft av, i also use private firewall, four years and no grief, i have found various fake virus to try it on, it found them all

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bside29

Try MSE or Avast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 daviddwight

If you want a free one, you can use Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭AlanG

Microsoft Security Essentials is now one of the best free options as they are not always trying to sell you stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭flutered

flutered wrote: »
    i use biadu anti virus, it has a nice bundle of software, it is cloud based also, i have it twinned with kingsoft av, i also use private firewall, four years and no grief, i have found various fake virus to try it on, it found them all

i have got rid of the biadu and kingsoft, my pc now boots up in 22 seconds, i am running 360 security, it has detractors on line but i have had no grief with it

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Huza91

I would recommend using Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender on Windows 8/8.1/-10)

I've been in the IT repair sector for over 16 years and have never seen an Anti-Virus with such a high detection rate and that uses so little system resources.

MSE is honestly the best free lightweight Anti-Virus out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭chainsmoker556

MSE will be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jeamimus

vicwatson wrote: »

Free AVG is always available. Just be careful when you do the installation that you select the 'basic free' version and not the 'one year free trial' version. Its not immediately obvious as their download page is designed to push you towards the pay versions. Once you have the basic free version installed, it will update itself annually.

Also dont accept any toolbars.

Lately AVG have started sending pop-ups for 'PC cleaners', be sure not to accept anything like that as they may change your free status..

Huza91 wrote: »
    I would recommend using Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender on Windows 8/8.1/-10)

I've been in the IT repair sector for over 16 years and have never seen an Anti-Virus with such a high detection rate and that uses so little system resources.

MSE is honestly the best free lightweight Anti-Virus out there :)

this has not been recommended as much in the last couple of years due to supposed much diminished support put into it by microsoft.

I used to use it but changed.

I use Avast now which I find ok. the price to pay is occasional messages from it trying to get you to update to the paid version.

I second the opinion of the poster about common sense approach about website links, email links also.

Advertisement