Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I use?

• 16-10-2014 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am looking for some cloud storage (business purposes). I have looked at a few but wondering if anyone has any recommendations. Some requirements as follows:
    Obviously the cheaper the better
    Secure (obviously, but I know you cant rely on this 100%)
    Easy interface for users (some users would be older and wouldn't really be too well up on computers)
    Access from iphone/ipad/windows/mac/android
    Between 3 and 10 users

Any recommendations much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Was looking for some advice/pointers on this too, having had a near miss with a portable hard drive going missing recently
    Was looking to aqquire some space as a family repository. But know very little about the Cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

It does depend on what ecosystem you are committed to... all have pluses and minuses. Based on Business use case I'd say the following:

Onedrive for Business (not Onedrive for personal which is a different product altogether) if you use Office365 is free with Office365 and has some good features but a very poor sync client (for offline).
    Box.com is excellent for Business but pricey and the only one that let's you create your own encryption key (i.e. they can never read your files)
    Dropbox has created a business version but nowhere near as good as Box.com but if your staff already use dropbox quick and easy to train on.
    Google Drive is cheap if using Google apps and are content with the Google editing software.

My preferred is Box.com....

For personal it's the ecosystem with Apple, Google and Microsoft all having great sync clients. I'd probably go with OneDrive from Microsoft which is fairly device agnostic. Unfortunately I'm committed to the Apple Ecosystem for my photo library so use their cloud!

All of these change frequently so check the reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

google have apps for business but i dont know the price. Interface is simple enough with drag and drop files onto the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pa994

Mega.nz is good and easy to use also very secure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

bpb101 wrote: »
    google have apps for business but i dont know the price. Interface is simple enough with drag and drop files onto the screen

It's 80 per annum with unlimited storage.

One thing I would look at is how the service connects to your favourite applications. Both Box.Com, OneDrive and Dropbox integrate straight into Microsoft Office and are semi integrated into IOS and Android. Can make life every easy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

micosoft wrote: »
    It does depend on what ecosystem you are committed to... all have pluses and minuses. Based on Business use case I'd say the following:

Onedrive for Business (not Onedrive for personal which is a different product altogether) if you use Office365 is free with Office365 and has some good features but a very poor sync client (for offline).
    Box.com is excellent for Business but pricey and the only one that let's you create your own encryption key (i.e. they can never read your files)
    Dropbox has created a business version but nowhere near as good as Box.com but if your staff already use dropbox quick and easy to train on.
    Google Drive is cheap if using Google apps and are content with the Google editing software.

My preferred is Box.com....

For personal it's the ecosystem with Apple, Google and Microsoft all having great sync clients. I'd probably go with OneDrive from Microsoft which is fairly device agnostic. Unfortunately I'm committed to the Apple Ecosystem for my photo library so use their cloud!

All of these change frequently so check the reviews

+1 for Box.com for their EKM and their Box for Developers application that allows many useful apps to integrate with Box e.g. DocuSign, Evernote

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I use google drive, onedrive, livedrive , dropbox and mega.co.nz

If you have 1000's of pictures you might want to check the limits of the system e.g. one drive has a 20,000 sync limit.

Dropbox is my favorite for important stuff
    Mega give 50Gb free storage.
    Livedrive briefcase is very good and you can get pc backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EdenStudios

Syncplicity is worth a look too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

For me I'd go this way.

box.com or onedrive for business. If you have office 365 this is an excellent option. Box.com does give the opportunity for personalised encryption keys. These two also seem to be the main ones that banks and large scale insurance companies are comfortable working with.

dropbox is great for personal stuff and in truth great for professional end of things also.

mega.nz no just no. Given it's history and it's seemingly constant stay of execution I personally don't want to put any of my business files in a service I'm not sure will still be there tomorrow. That said security wise and capacity wise it's really hard to beat.

Advertisement