Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info on slane river walkway please.

• 27-02-2013 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

can anyone tell me the walkway from slane heading towards donore, is it a deadend . love to cycle this but hate to think i would have to go all the way back to slane bridge.any info on it greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

I don't think it's fully walkable but I could be wrong...
    You'll probably get as far as "Scaby Arch" but it might be overgrown from there.
    There's a nice walkway from Ardmulchan in Stackallen towards Navan along the Boyne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

kormak wrote: »
    I don't think it's fully walkable but I could be wrong...
    You'll probably get as far as "Scaby Arch" but it might be overgrown from there.
    There's a nice walkway from Ardmulchan in Stackallen towards Navan along the Boyne.
    cheers Kormac ah thats a pity i passed it this morning when i was out cycling was gonna try it but thought better.
    yes that walk from stackallan if lovely done it a couple times last year, actually met a very narky couple who wasn't to pleased when i asked could i pass( i was cycling.):eek: other than that it's well worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Surely the tow path is still there? The IWAI have a big involvement in the old canal system and may have some info on the old tow paths and their current condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Is Slane and Donore in Louth?

macadam wrote: »
    Is Slane and Donore in Louth?
    meath .i had a book on cycle the canals of ireland didn't think much of it to be honest for instance it said you can cycle the boyne canal you can't.
    i seen in the drogheda paper last week there was 150 thousant allocated to this canal project yeah right it will never happen. but what an oppertunity lost think of the tourist market it would be for louth and meath .
    anyway besides all that i just want to cycle our canals in peace and harmony nothing more.;)

• Advertisement

There has indeed been quite a bit of restoration on the navan side of the old canal and I believe the intention exists to indeed work this down the river. It's quite a big job though. The system is very old and a lot of the locks are rapids.

Plus a lot of the weirs require a lot of attention. One, just after stackallen bridge needs to be completely rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

Where does the walkway start outside Drogheda? Because one starts in st Dominick's park and turns into a dangerous road to walk, a bit before the cable bridge, which then stops outside the battle of the boyne site.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Plus a lot of the weirs require a lot of attention. One, just after stackallen bridge needs to be completely rebuilt.
    yes but they have the know how to tackle these jobs so not that much of an issue just hope it doesn't go belly up.

TO_ARTHUR! wrote: »
    Where does the walkway start outside Drogheda? Because one starts in st Dominick's park and turns into a dangerous road to walk, a bit before the cable bridge, which then stops outside the battle of the boyne site.
    do you mean the oldbridge road yeah it is a bit narrow but i always find it ok to cycle.
    love to see a plan of the route ,i walked the boyne canal from drogheda to donore its only beautiful but can get dodgy in places .really great if this gets developed all the way to navan :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

If you go over the humpback bridge at the entrance to the Battle of the Boyne site and walk a 50 yards or so towards Slane the walkway starts back up again and continues towards Donore. Though it does become overgrown again after a mile of so. You can divert into the Battle of the Boyne site and come back that way if you don't want to return the way you came.

The walk from the end of the ramparts along under the cable bridge and past the old lock towards the Battle of the Boyne site is narrow. I would love to see a proper cycle track/walkway put in. I walk it on a Saturday/Sunday morning when there is not much traffic and it's a lovely walk. Particularly if the tide is in. There is a fierce problem along that road with fly tipping though :(

Scotty # wrote: »
    If you go over the humpback bridge at the entrance to the Battle of the Boyne site and walk a 50 yards or so towards Slane the walkway starts back up again and continues towards Donore. Though it does become overgrown again after a mile of so. You can divert into the Battle of the Boyne site and come back that way if you don't want to return the way you came.

The walk from the end of the ramparts along under the cable bridge and past the old lock towards the Battle of the Boyne site is narrow. I would love to see a proper cycle track/walkway put in. I walk it on a Saturday/Sunday morning when there is not much traffic and it's a lovely walk. Particularly if the tide is in. There is a fierce problem along that road with fly tipping though :(
    if you walk to the end 200yds by the steps that take you up to the old house you come to a very soft dangerous part, but take a left up the hill scramble over trees and whatever turn right back onto path on other side avoiding the swamp all the way to donore, from there you can walk out to main road turn right for slane left for donore.;)
    i cycled the newry canal many a time lovely as it is,;) it doesn't hold a patch on the boyne river and canal walk .i often met a few harden walkers up by the canal that walked all the way from navan 17 miles ,never done it myself i'm more a cyclist than a walker.ah happy days will we ever see it started certainly hope so.

I've certainly kayaked from Navan to Drogheda however walking it would seriously daunt me!

I've certainly kayaked from Navan to Drogheda however walking it would seriously daunt me!

had you a camera with you by any chance.;) must have been a great trip .

This is an ambition of mine but I haven't started kayaking yet. If I was able I'd do this every weekend!

According to here... http://boyne.iwai.ie/. Work starts on the Oldbridge lock again next week.

had you a camera with you by any chance.;) must have been a great trip .
    This is an ambition of mine but I haven't started kayaking yet. If I was able I'd do this every weekend!

It's actually not a very taxing trip to be honest.

The views are however splendid especially toward the Slane part of the trip. Some of the weirs can be extremely hazardous if you're not experienced but anything after Slane is generally handy enough. We got out at Ship Street but took an obligatory paddle under the Railway Bridge in Drogheda first to say we had. A very impressive structure indeed, more so than the Boyne Valley Bridge. All in all a nice day out and a great bit of shoulder work too. Got some very strange looks from the Drogheda locals paddling through their fair town. :)

Not getting off topic here but I often wondered why paddlers don't generally kayak from Slane to Drogheda? Is no weirs or is there a safety issue here?
    I would Curley Hole could be a bit hazardous given it's currents and whirlpools!!
    I've kayaked the Stackallen to Slane Bridge route a good few times and It's beautiful. by the way, there is a walkway on the South side of the river along by Beauparc House.
    500mtrs down from Beauparc House is "the big A" maasive weir which can be great fun going over in a kayak. You'll hear this weir before you see it!!

The main level of "fun" is between Stackallen Bridge and Slane Bridge. That's where all of the main weirs are and the "Whitewater" too. It's also stunning as you have already said.

The Big A is a well known weir in the paddling community and has had it's fair share of accident's in the past. One being the near drowning of a local Drogheda man not so long ago. It's like any river element though, know what you're dealing with and ensure you respect it and you'll be fine.

After Slane, with the exception of Newgrange, there isn't much there. There are a few small weirs overgrown to some degree due to lack of use and it's just a big long flat stretch of river. A lot of todays Kayaks aren't really geared toward flat water and more so toward Whitewater. There's a bigger resistance on the hull of these boats to improve their handing in moving water which makes for flat water being a bit more difficult to push the boat through.

The curley hole really doesn't present much of an issue to a Kayaker. It may take a few extra strokes to get out of but isn't half as lethal to a Kayaker wearing all of their safety gear.

I know Drogheda have Silverbridge Kayak Club based up river from the bridge of peace and I have met numerous racers from that club out on that stretch of river before. There's also the element of the closer you get to a large town like Drogheda, you also encounter more pipes ditching into the river and at times, a distinct smell. I naturally hope that it's all processed but that too can be off putting to a kayaker who may well be dipping their head into the water.

The main level of "fun" is between Stackallen Bridge and Slane Bridge. That's where all of the main weirs are and the "Whitewater" too. It's also stunning as you have already said.

The Big A is a well known weir in the paddling community and has had it's fair share of accident's in the past. One being the near drowning of a local Drogheda man not so long ago. It's like any river element though, know what you're dealing with and ensure you respect it and you'll be fine.

After Slane, with the exception of Newgrange, there isn't much there. There are a few small weirs overgrown to some degree due to lack of use and it's just a big long flat stretch of river. A lot of todays Kayaks aren't really geared toward flat water and more so toward Whitewater. There's a bigger resistance on the hull of these boats to improve their handing in moving water which makes for flat water being a bit more difficult to push the boat through.

The curley hole really doesn't present much of an issue to a Kayaker. It may take a few extra strokes to get out of but isn't half as lethal to a Kayaker wearing all of their safety gear.

I know Drogheda have Silverbridge Kayak Club based up river from the bridge of peace and I have met numerous racers from that club out on that stretch of river before. There's also the element of the closer you get to a large town like Drogheda, you also encounter more pipes ditching into the river and at times, a distinct smell. I naturally hope that it's all processed but that too can be off putting to a kayaker who may well be dipping their head into the water.

I've paddled before with SBKC and hope to get out again.
    The Big A is mental alright, I have heard of a couple of close ones there in the past.
    The reason I ask though is I would like to try out a paddle from Slane to say Oldbridge sometime. Just for the scenery really and nothing else!

kormak wrote: »
    I would like to try out a paddle from Slane to say Oldbridge sometime. Just for the scenery really and nothing else!

It's perfectly safe just make sure you're equipped and have people with you that know what their at. :)

I'd like to paddle out to sea from Slane through Drogheda some day :) I've got a GoPro so will document it here if I ever do it :)

• Advertisement

It's perfectly safe just make sure you're equipped and have people with you that know what their at. :)

I'd like to paddle out to sea from Slane through Drogheda some day :) I've got a GoPro so will document it here if I ever do it :)

ah yeah, I don't think I'd ever paddle in a group smaller than 3.
    I have mates who paddled a Canadian Canoe from Staleen in Donore right out to the Boyne estuary @ Mornington.
    Took them a full (really hot) Summers day and they even managed to stop off in Drogheda for chips, dragging the canoe with them! lol:D

lol... McDonalds Drive (or paddle) Thru!

I'm living on the banks of the Boyne for 8 years and only saw kayakers on it for the first time a few weeks ago. Early on a Saturday morning up near the end of the Ramparts. The club you are talking about obviously.

lol... McDonalds Drive (or paddle) Thru!

I'm living on the banks of the Boyne for 8 years and only saw kayakers on it for the first time a few weeks ago. Early on a Saturday morning up near the end of the Ramparts. The club you are talking about obviously.

maybe... Silver Bridge paddling is generally on Sunday mornings and starts @ Ardmulchan in Stackallen.

do you need permission to paddle the river :confused:
    i met two canadians in a canadian loaded for bear obviously they were camping on the river bank. ah thats about 7 years ago but they were having a great time .
    anyway lads is this cycleway going to happen, those boys that work on the canal are only part timers just keeping that boyne canal stretch in good order no more than that.

do you need permission to paddle the river :confused:
    It's only trespass when you touch the bank. Ireland has some really good laws in favour of paddling.

It's only trespass when you touch the bank. Ireland has some really good laws in favour of paddling.

wow didn't know that but a fella can't stay on the water all the time.:P

I hope one day that we will be able to walk the whole way through the town, along the boyne on a walkway but I think it's a long way off.

I hope one day that we will be able to walk the whole way through the town, along the boyne on a walkway but I think it's a long way off.
    not on my lifetime.:mad: i was up there today first time you could actually walk the whole way without sinking in muck. hell of a lot of people there today .;)

During the boom, I was surprised that the old buildings a part of which is Cagneys, where going to be redeveloped and perhaps a walkway be built behind them to connect up with the haymarket bridge but alas the moment has passed.
    I don't hold out much hope for the other side of the river :pac:

• Advertisement

having been up in a while but i think theres work going on near oldbridge the walkway back to ramparts,, could just be there was a land slide and there making it safe, but not sure about that.
    is there a link where a fella could see whats going on :D

Advertisement