Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Guys, these arguments have been done to death in the match thread and in case none of ye saw the warning in that thread, don't bring them into other threads. It will just constantly go round in circles with no one moving from their position.
    No more warnings.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Guys, these arguments have been done to death in the match thread and in case none of ye saw the warning in that thread, don't bring them into other threads. It will just constantly go round in circles with no one moving from their position.
    No more warnings.

Agreed, my head is dizzy with the round and round at this stage ;)

The quicker Saturday comes the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭dunnerc

yop wrote: »
    I see a Dublin lad punching a Mayo lad while lying with his elbow in his face, deserved a red. I see a Mayo player pushing Connolly off the Mayo player he was punching. Simple really.

I also see Cooper nearly breaking a Mayo players leg with a challenge.
    I also see Cluxton kick out at a Mayo player.

I see Connolly continually harassing the ref over every decision.

I see Philly McMahon coming in on Boyle and punching him on the ground after the penalty.

So not sure what you see, but I see you have 5 posts since your last post 2 years ago, 2 of them were over moaning on the Dublin forum about Mayo posts, now your over here looking for a reaction, probably so that you can report them.

ANYWAY, we've been here 10000000 times since last Sunday, we talked it up and down the pitch and so far 1 player has had a red, that maybe resinding in the next few hours.
    So the only player with a charge is Connolly, unless we've missed something?

Wow you seen a lot of what you wanted to see
    Connelly harrassing the ref questioning every decision?
    Did Coc not do the same?
    What have the amount of posts ive made got to do with anything?
    I am most definitely not looking for a reaction,just asking a genuine question about a post a member put up ref Connolly getting off with a red card
    You are the one who jumped in with all sorts!!
    Am I not entitled to my opinion on this thread?
    Congrats on your 13,072 posts,i find it hard to believe a lot of them were not moaning about Dublin,sorry you have to many for me to go searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Ah here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Because he got a red for punching a mayo player on the ground and was sent off for it, simples really. Also had his elbow buried in a Mayo lads face. So deserves it really. Can't see the problem with it.
    Was there another player during that game Sunday who got a red we can talk about?

You are being very selective. There are more who should have got red cards and not only Dubs!!;)

There are no winners in this pardon the pun after last weeks game. It was pure muck, mind you if either county won by a point we would call it a classic.

I lay the blame fairly and squarely on the shoulders of the people who were supposed to be helping the referee, his umpires and linesmen. I originally blamed McQuillan but no referee can spot everything yet they are wired up and in contact and if action was taken earlier we might have had the game of the year as I believe we had the 2 best footballing sides in Ireland on the field. The match-ups were brilliant Connolly/ Flynn v Keegan/Higgins, O'Connor/O'Carroll

The appeals situation is a mess but Connolly has every right to go down that road, like Keane had. (I believe Keane got justice).

What is causing most sour grapes around Dublin and not only from Dubs, (I work with 2 lads from Mayo and they were disgusted with the attitude of a few Mayo players) is Connolly got a red card for striking which was spotted by the linesman and that is fair enough but most are referring to Cillian O'Connors sly dig on Rory O'Carroll. You could argue it was accidental he just swung back but this also happened in front of a linesman and 2 umpires, it was dangerous play. Also Aiden O'Shea answering to the media he was head butted when video evidence proved otherwise. He feigned injury to get an opponent sent off not something any G.A.A. player should do, I had no problem with the slap he gave McMahon as he was sort of protecting himself but He has lost a lot of respect. He should have just shut up.

Hard to know how the replay will go. I hope we get the football these sides can play. It would be terrible to remember this semi-final for all the crap that went on last Sunday As a Dub I backed Mayo the morning of the Sligo match to win the All-Ireland and I have not changed my view. They are the best Mayo team I have seen. The key turning point for me was Keith Higgins point. He is such a special player it just gave Mayo more of a boost than any other score and it got the crowd back on their feet. The key man could be Barry Moran and I am actually surprised they left it so long to bring him on. Dublin might feel very hurt the way things turned out and despite not having their main man it could spur lads on a bit more.

Mayo by 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭dunnerc

No more warnings.

sorry did not see your post before I posted
    Anyway agreed this has been done to death
    roll on saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Appeal has been successful according to a few on Twitter, Connolly to play on Saturday.

:(

Just take it with a grain of salt for now, no big, official announcement yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

martyos121 wrote: »
    Appeal has been successful according to a few on Twitter, Connolly to play on Saturday.

:(

Just take it with a grain of salt for now, no big, official announcement yet.

Not :(. Be happy that you get the opportunity to see one of the top footballers in the country play on Saturday! :)

Not :(. Be happy that you get the opportunity to see one of the top footballers in the country play on Saturday! :)

Looks like a false alarm, so don't get cocky yet :)

And I'm very much looking forward to seeing Aidan O'Shea playing on Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Looks like a false alarm, so don't get cocky yet :)

And I'm very much looking forward to seeing Aidan O'Shea playing on Saturday :)

I'm not cocky. I am a neutral so it doesn't bother me much either way. Connolly should be banned, but Keane getting off muddies those waters. However, as a neutral I want to see the best players from both teams out there on Saturday. To be honest, if it was my own team playing Dublin, I'd still want to see Connolly out there. Nothing better than seeing your own team & players you follow all year going up against the top footballers in the country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Nothing better than seeing your own team & players you follow all year going up against the top footballers in the country!

Completely agree...Dying for a crack at Kerry!

;)

Connolly is out. Looks legit this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He's out as per Dublin GAA fb page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Barlett

Confirmed, he's out unless he appeals again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Yip, Red card still stands. 3rd attempt in morning?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Appealing again this morning, can't see it been overturned at this stage. They have to make a stand and will probably stick with this now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Have ye any links? Cant seem to see it online apart from FB but nothing official that i can see

I checked the Resevoir Dubs forum for reaction, they're frothing at the mouth over there. As bad and all as we have been for moaning in the past you can tell Dublin just can't handle not getting everything their own way.

I'd say Dublin have been planning for the replay under the assumption Connolly would get off with it. They stink of desperation going for the third appeal. Time for the DRA to make an example of him now.

• Advertisement

Barlett wrote: »
    I checked the Resevoir Dubs forum for reaction, they're frothing at the mouth over there. As bad and all as we have been for moaning in the past you can tell Dublin just can't handle not getting everything their own way.

But look at it this way, if it was one of our players would be not be pretty annoyed?

The fact of the matter is that the game was strewn with various issues and while some blame Dublin Joe, I think his assistants were of no help to him.
    There could have been another 2 or 3 Dublin reds with that one, there could have been 1 or 2 Mayo reds, its swings and round abouts.

But I agree though, looking at SOME of the hysteria including boycotting the game and "Justice for Dermo" its madness. Though as mentioned earlier if we looked back at this time last year I am sure it was as bad on some of the Mayo Banter pages etc.

One thing which seems to be creeping in and I hope it doesn't as at the end of the day its only a game, is that the venom between the fans isn't great and all it will take is for a few di(kheads to kickoff from either side.
    Even on this forum there are a few lads who need to have a chat with themselves with some of the vitriol pouring out them, that said most won't be seen come the various provincial sub compos like FBD etc or the league.

I just wish Saturday would come now and get this game on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I'd say Dublin have been planning for the replay under the assumption Connolly would get off with it. They stink of desperation going for the third appeal. Time for the DRA to make an example of him now.
    Make an example of him how? They'll either uphold the one match ban or they won't.

And why wouldn't they appeal a third time? Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

And as for Dublin having no alternative plan for Saturday without Connolly...

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Make an example of him how? They'll either uphold the one match ban or they won't.

And why wouldn't they appeal a third time? Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

And as for Dublin having no alternative plan for Saturday without Connolly...

I'm not saying they don't have an alternative plan without him, but given the nature of the appeal process, I'm sure they were expecting him to be let off and were planning for the replay with him in mind. Either way, they're a weaker team without him, and if he stays suspended, the defence can focus a bit more on stopping the high ball into Brogan.

But look at it this way, if it was one of our players would be not be pretty annoyed?

The fact of the matter is that the game was strewn with various issues and while some blame Dublin Joe, I think his assistants were of no help to him.
    There could have been another 2 or 3 Dublin reds with that one, there could have been 1 or 2 Mayo reds, its swings and round abouts.

But I agree though, looking at SOME of the hysteria including boycotting the game and "Justice for Dermo" its madness. Though as mentioned earlier if we looked back at this time last year I am sure it was as bad on some of the Mayo Banter pages etc.

One thing which seems to be creeping in and I hope it doesn't as at the end of the day its only a game, is that the venom between the fans isn't great and all it will take is for a few di(kheads to kickoff from either side.
    Even on this forum there are a few lads who need to have a chat with themselves with some of the vitriol pouring out them, that said most won't be seen come the various provincial sub compos like FBD etc or the league.

I just wish Saturday would come now and get this game on.

I can imagine they'll be a lot of gloating going on from the side that prevails

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I think most Mayo people on here were against Keane getting off. I know Keane is not as important to us but the point stands ie one of our players punched an opponent off the ball and it was caught on cameras. Cannot see where the injustice is even though, because of the Keane incident, i think Connolly was unlucky not to get off. But there should be no complaints, he did what he did.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I think most Mayo people on here were against Keane getting off. I know Keane is not as important to us but the point stands ie one of our players punched an opponent off the ball and it was caught on cameras. Cannot see where the injustice is even though, because of the Keane incident, i think Connolly was unlucky not to get off. But there should be no complaints, he did what he did.

Agreed I don't think Keane should have got off & as we have seen, it set a dangerous precedent where you can argue 'oh well he was provoked so it's ok he punched him'

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

the Connolly chat is getting very tiresome
    When are the Dubs naming there team ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Item about Mayo on Newstalk right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Exactly like their team when things go against them. Eternal home advantage, even for replays, hand picked referees who give them penalties for fouls outside area, awards wides as points, allows common assault ala Cooper go virtually Unpunished, penalises attacking player being verbally and physically assaulted etc and they still are not happy with their lot. They are calling for a referee that will be "fair" to them, short of kicking points himself to tying AOS to the dugout how much more can he do for them. They believe cowpie should get off because he didn't use a weapon to attack his opponent it seems. They are the most entitled people on the planet.

• Advertisement

I can imagine they'll be a lot of gloating going on from the side that prevails

There was a lot of it before we equalized!!! But ya it will be painful from some idiots, but you need to learn to win and lose with dignity, gloating is for asses.

Agreed I don't think Keane should have got off & as we have seen, it set a dangerous precedent where you can argue 'oh well he was provoked so it's ok he punched him'

Peist2007 wrote: »

Yip, was a WRONG decision and it hasn't helped.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement