Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Curtain fabric

• 23-05-2014 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I thought to redecorate a bedroom but first need to get new fabric for curtains to inspire rest of decor. Where in Dublin is good for choice/value and to buy on the spot? I have been to Murphy Sheedy and nothing to my liking. They seem to be focusing on making up curtains and ordering in fabric from sample books.

I will try Hickeys on Mary St next. Is there still a Guineys that does fabric? What of Capel Street? There used to be a place in Bray.

Maybe it would make sense to get "ready-mades" and adapt to fit the window??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have bought ready mades from Michael Guineys fro a fraction of the cost in other places. I got lucky, they were exactly what I wanted, heavy tapestry fabric in the right colour and lined. If you buy from there, take off the header tape, adjust the length from the top and replace the header tape with good quality stuff from Hickeys. It will make a world of difference! Its always better to adjust the length of curtains from the top, it is easier to replace the tape than make a perfect hem / corners etc.

Guineys in Waterford does fabric, tho that's probably not a lot of help to you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Good tip! thanks.... yes I have had to take off odd tap tops/ metal rings of ready mades as prefer pencil pleats. I have used Laura Ashley linen tape down the years but was always hard to source... now gone from Dublin :(

I will try M Guiney on N Earl Street tomorrow and get to Hickeys. I have just thought of a 'curtain exchange' shop that used to be on Newtownpark Avenue, Blackrock.

Ok grand choice of ready mades from M Guiney = the branch opposite Boyers on N Earl Street. Nothing I fancied as mostly for living rooms. But for reference they had a lot of other stuff such as fancy coloured net and linings including black out material.

I tried Duffy's not far away... lot of ready made and some rolls of fabric but none for bedroom. I suppose I am thinking of Laura Ashley of old or ever Kilkenny Design years back that did decent cotton fabric with small pattern.

Another day to try Hickeys, ran out of time.

I came home with a bag from M Guiney as bought a sheet.... bag and receipt advertised 'online' Guineys!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I bought two duvet covers on one occasion as they had a small pretty pattern on one side and a broad stripe on the other, and turned it into a pair of curtains for a small bedroom window and used the other side for a valance, then the other one as a duvet cover, for a child's bedroom.

• Advertisement

Snap! :) I have done exactly the same... two duvets made up into pair of curtains with check design and the backside had stripes so made into duvet cover. Back to the drawing board!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Shivpea

Hiya Annie - If you're looking for more fabric there is a guy in Merchants market every sat/sun that sells it for €3 a meter. You have to search through his stuff to get what you want, but if you find it, its a real deal. I'm a curtain maker by trade and I've bought some stuff off of him and loved it. Good luck! Siobhan

My old electric sewing machine is out of action at moment so halt to proceedings. Thanks for that Siobhan but where is Merchants Market? I have had a look at Hickeys but not in Mary st branch and back to Murphy Sheedy, new selection but not what I want. I am thinking of trek out to Ikea?

Merchants market is behind the O2, I think they have a website. not sure if any buses go by it, I always drive there. Ikea have a fabric range, have a look at their website and do a search for 'fabric' and you'll see what they have on sale. Their prices are fairly reasonable but I wouldn't recommend their linings.. for that I'd definitely go to Hickeys and get the Sateen lining, its good quality and the reason for needing good quality lining is that it makes the curtains hang better and most importantly protects your lovely fabric from the sun. I've used some of their fabrics before, if you want to see some of it made up have a look at my Facebook page, is called Dapper Drapes - there's a pink/grey/white lined fabric there from Ikea, plus the fabric from some of the tab tops there are from Ikea too (one is blue and yellow, a mad design, and the other is a lot of faces) might give you an idea what it'd look like made up.

Merchants market is behind the O2, I think they have a website. not sure if any buses go by it, I always drive there. Ikea have a fabric range, have a look at their website and do a search for 'fabric' and you'll see what they have on sale. Their prices are fairly reasonable but I wouldn't recommend their linings.. for that I'd definitely go to Hickeys and get the Sateen lining, its good quality and the reason for needing good quality lining is that it makes the curtains hang better and most importantly protects your lovely fabric from the sun. I've used some of their (Ikea's) fabrics before, if you want to see some of it made up have a look at my Facebook page, is called Dapper Drapes - there's a pink/grey/white lined fabric there from Ikea, plus the fabric from some of the tab tops there are from Ikea too (one is blue and yellow, a mad design, and the other is a lot of faces) might give you an idea what it'd look like made up.

• Advertisement

Having a lovely browse in Ikea website and will go look up Dapperdrapes. Thank you :)

Happy Browsing, enjoy! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

If you are in town the Luas will bring you all the way to the 02 and its just 10 minutes walk after that. I've been down there and its a treasure trove, great if you like rummaging among books, and bits and bobs, furniture and all sorts of stuff. It used to be an auction house but now is an indoor market.

Advertisement