Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics Mechanic!

• 05-03-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hey Guys

You have been very helpful, just looking for a little more!

You may remember the 1999, 2.0 petrol mitsubishi galant, I picked up from bangernomics last November! It was runny great until recently. Its started to make a loud humming noise when running. And also, the coolant drains very quickly from radiator and back up resevoir.

So I was told I may need to replace head gasket, and while I was at it, I should get timing belt kit, water pump, spark plugs, filters and fluids changed. I know its a major job, but if it sorted the car and I got another year or two out of it id be happy! Love the car!

Just wondering if any of you guys could give let me know how much you think it might cost! For parts and labour! Ive looked on Micks garage, coming in at 300 for parts, you think thats a good price for the parts? What would be a fair price for the labour?

Thanks again!

Derek

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Scrap it, you'll get €150 per tonne for taking it to a scrap yard, and buy yourself a new (old) car via the wonders of bangernomics.........shure isn't that the way it works...........that when a car going BANG, it's disposable.

here's a replacment for ya, new nct, low miles.......
    Full-9972407.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3005671

You need a proper diagnosis, may need a HG is neither here nor there.

Has it overheated?
    Is the coolant mixing with the oil?
    Humming noise is not a symptom of HG issues imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭cadaliac

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Scrap it, you'll get €150 per tonne for taking it to a scrap yard, and buy yourself a new (old) car via the wonders of bangernomics.........shure isn't that the way it works...........that when a car going BANG, it's disposable.

And he has to come up with a grand to buy the car.
    The repair is cheaper, and if it suits the OP, better on his wallet. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bubbuz

MidlandsM wrote: »

here's a replacment for ya, new nct, low miles.......
    Full-9972407.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3005671

Yep have to agree about scrapping it, mind you thats going by my own experience with the galant, I had a 98 td with full history and only 130000 up on her, was a mighty car and loved it till it started to ,go wrong, and believe me once it started going wrong it didnt stop, started with new joints, then wheel bearings at HUGE expense ( parts for these are so expensive ) , then the head gasket went, sorted that at more huge expense only for 2 weeks later for the ecu to pack up, I gave up at that point and rolled it into the breakers who gave me 200 scrappage for it and I picked up a perfect little 1.6 vectra WITH tax and test for 300. If I were you id leave the galant well alone, when their good their great, when their bad their a money pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DConway

Not sure if it is or not? Not sure how to tell!

It still runs ok, except for the noise? I know its hard to tell without seeing it yourself, but would you be able to hazard a guess as to what might be causing it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bubbuz

DConway wrote: »
    Not sure if it is or not? Not sure how to tell!

It still runs ok, except for the noise? I know its hard to tell without seeing it yourself, but would you be able to hazard a guess as to what might be causing it?

Fyi, my galant made a really bad humming noise and it ended up being the front wheel bearings, may be worth checking that out first

I can't see anyone hazarding a guess, have a look at the questions I asked above.

Thanks for your replies!

Ok decided to try get it sorted, iv only got about 400 to get it sorted, dont really have the cash to get another one!

Can anyone give me an idea of how much to pay, assuming iv no idea what may be wrong, to get it diagnosed?

All I know at the moment is, its losing coolant from radiator and resevoir quickly, about two weeks from full to empty, no visible leaks, but white smoke coming from exhaust, not a lot, but noticeable. And the humming is definately the engine, lifted bonnet and had a listen while idling!

Has it overheated? No, hasn't over heated
    Is the coolant mixing with the oil? Not sure how id tell?

Thanks again!

Is the coolant mixing with the oil? Not sure how id tell?

Dip oil, if the level is ok and the oil doesn't have mayo like contamination, so too under the oil cap the water may well not be mixing with the oil.

Word to the wise, check the coolant and oil levels every three days or so, top up the coolant with coolant/water mix as required.

Where are you in the country?

Does the humming noise change when the clutch is floored?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Dip oil, if the level is ok and the oil doesn't have mayo like contamination, so too under the oil cap the water may well not be mixing with the oil.

Word to the wise, check the coolant and oil levels every three days or so, top up the coolant with coolant/water mix as required.

Where are you in the country?

Does the humming noise change when the clutch is floored?

Just went out to check oil cap, no sign of any kind of mayo like contamination. Oil level is ok, a little low but above the first marker.

Yea ive been checking coolant, just topped it up earlier, and the resevoir is half empty and radiator was full, but now cant see any?

Im in Galway, but could drive to Dublin.

Humming doesnt seem to change, quietens as the car warms up though.

• Advertisement

Yea ive been checking coolant, just topped it up earlier, and the resevoir is half empty and radiator was full, but now cant see any?

Im in Galway, but could drive to Dublin.............

Check the coolant in the morning and top up again as required, ideally you need to check it often enough so the reservoir doesn't get too empty.

I lived in Galway for a year and found the garage across from the NCT centre in Dubhuisce very helpful and friendly, in saying that with your issue I'd sooner a very knowledgable one man show type place :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can you hear the humming (is it like a noticable tap tap noise in idle) in idle, e.g. at traffic lights?

And does it decrease/increase as you go up the revs?

Stheno wrote: »
    Can you hear the humming (is it like a noticable tap tap noise in idle) in idle...........

If the OP comes back and says the humming noise is a tap tap noise ......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RoverJames wrote: »
    If the OP comes back and says the humming noise is a tap tap noise ......

Then the bill is guaranteed to be large, I thought my "humming" noise, was such until I listened to it and it was a fairly rhythmic tap, tap, tap, at very regular intervals. The bill potentially ranged from manageable to catastrophic without diagnostics, and turned out to be manageable.

OP, you are best to spend the at most €200 a garage will charge you to do a diagnostic and tell you what is wrong. From your post I'm guessing you don't know a lot about cars (I don't know a huge amount either, I've just a knack of buying knackered cars, so I've learned a little) and take it from there?

At least then you've spent a little to figure out if it will cost a lot to fix and if you can afford it/if the car is worth it?

And in the meantime, top up the oil! And keep an eye on the coolant, mine was eating coolant, but I'm not posting what it was so as not to distract you

Il have a listen out for it tomorrow!
    Any chance youd mind sharing what it was, and how much it cost you to fix! Iv decided to find a garage and get a diagnostic done anyway!
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Was the water pump checked? Seems like a bearing on one of the pulleys on the front of the engine is gone.

Advertisement