Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bushnell or Nikon

Options
  • 14-08-2014 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I am looking for a reasonably priced scope for my CZ455. I want to do a bit of target shooting 50 - 100 yards, also the odd magpie, rat etc. I have come up with two scopes that will sort of fit my budget and requirements (I think).

Nikon Prostaff7 4-12x40 £175 opticswarehouse

Bushnell XLT 4-12x40 AO Trophy Uttings £174

I would appreciate any advice or alternative suggestions. Also what would be the best reticle? Also there are certain rimfire only scopes with parallax set at 50yds instead of the usual 100yds - is there any benefits of either?

Looking forward to your advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Have you looked at prices in gun dealers near to you?

They should have a reasonable selection and also will have suitable mounts and probably help with mounting and zeroing!

By the time you consider currency rates and shipping they may not be much in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Rosahane wrote: »
    Have you looked at prices in gun dealers near to you?

They should have a reasonable selection and also will have suitable mounts and probably help with mounting and zeroing!

By the time you consider currency rates and shipping they may not be much in the difference.

If you are go Nikon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

oldtart wrote: »
    Nikon Prostaff7 4-12x40 £175 opticswarehouse

Bushnell XLT 4-12x40 AO Trophy Uttings £174

Both are great companies and you'll be happy with either for target/paper work.

As for rats and magpies, they are small targets. Small targets need big magnification, big targets need small magnification. A scope dedicated to small vermin would want to have more magnification, like 6-25 or thereabouts.
    Also what would be the best reticle?
    Since the scopes are close, the reticle would probably be the determining factor to buy. Have a look at both and see if there is one that you like. Do you plan on holding over or dialing in shots?

Personally, I love the BDC reticle from Nikon. Rather than have hash marks which block the target the have circles which you can see through, a lot like peep sights.

I have a BDC reticle in 600, 300, 60 and soon to be 200 on various arms.
    Also there are certain rimfire only scopes with parallax set at 50yds instead of the usual 100yds - is there any benefits of either?

Go with the distance at which you expect to take shots.

Lastly, have a look at dedicated rimfire scopes that have reticles calibrated for the drop of the 22lr. That is, the hash marks will be easy numbers to remember. eg A 50ya zero will correspond to 125, 150, 175, and so on.

You can use any scope at all, however, the reticle's hash marks may be odd numbers. eg 100ya zero, then 133, 178, 192...

Again, both are great scopes, I have used a lot of Nikon's and my experience is mostly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭oldtart

FISMA wrote: »
    Both are great companies and you'll be happy with either for target/paper work.

As for rats and magpies, they are small targets. Small targets need big magnification, big targets need small magnification. A scope dedicated to small vermin would want to have more magnification, like 6-25 or thereabouts.

Since the scopes are close, the reticle would probably be the determining factor to buy. Have a look at both and see if there is one that you like. Do you plan on holding over or dialing in shots?

Personally, I love the BDC reticle from Nikon. Rather than have hash marks which block the target the have circles which you can see through, a lot like peep sights.

I have a BDC reticle in 600, 300, 60 and soon to be 200 on various arms.

Go with the distance at which you expect to take shots.

Lastly, have a look at dedicated rimfire scopes that have reticles calibrated for the drop of the 22lr. That is, the hash marks will be easy numbers to remember. eg A 50ya zero will correspond to 125, 150, 175, and so on.

You can use any scope at all, however, the reticle's hash marks may be odd numbers. eg 100ya zero, then 133, 178, 192...

Again, both are great scopes, I have used a lot of Nikon's and my experience is mostly there.

Fisma, thanks for your help. I may have to increase my budget. Ardee Sports have special offer on Weaver scopes:

Weaver Classic 4-16x40 AO €320
    Weaver Clasic 6-24x42 €370
    Weaver Grand Slam 6-20x40 €390

Any thoughts/experience with Weaver?

I have to be careful as I can see this scope purchase getting awful expensive, the rifle was only €445 and is as you guessed a 22lr which is only good for 100 odd yards. So there is not much point in having a scope that can see 600yds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Redfield make a very nice scope and not too expensive either. I had a 4-12x42 Revenge on my .22 before I sold the rifle, glass was very good, very nice clicks in the turrets and the Accu Range varmint reticle is very friendly too.

*Mine is in the sales section too;);)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A .22lr has a short effective range and as such it does not need a high priced scope. The only reason to go high value is for better glass but even out to 100 yards most cheap scopes, with "poorer" glass will be clear.

As such i'd look to the two you mentioned, but also something like the Hawke Varmint SF. Comes in varying mags like 4-16 or 6-24 mag, glass is good, has a range of reticles, and 1/4" click value. Prices are between €180 - €195.

Hawke_Riflescopes_VarmintSF_4-16x44.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭duckman!!

+1 for the Hawke, great scope!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

I am a Bushnell man and have 5 here on different rifles. BUT the reticle on my Banner 6-18x50 started to rotate and is sent off for repair, 30 year warranty. Used for gallery rifle shooting to 50m. I rate the Bushnell scopes highly.

SO with no money in the pocket but plenty on the 'card' I bought a Hawke sidewinder 30 6-24x56 mildot scope. Well pleased with the glass and it has a very fine reticle. Target turrets and balistics program available for these scope on the Hawke website. So this now sits on my custom Ruger 10/22 for gallery comps.

Shot this today @25m standing, one of my best scores in a very long time,

dropped 2 into the 9 ring over 48 shots.

318575.jpg

Clivej

Have you any experience of the Bushnell Trophy XLT 4-12x40? Would it be any good to benchrest at 100yds, or will I need more mag?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

Clivej

Have you any experience of the Bushnell Trophy XLT 4-12x40? Would it be any good to benchrest at 100yds, or will I need more mag?

Never had any of the Trophy scopes but with a max zoom of only x12 you will find yourself struggling to see a good centre on a target at 100m.
    x12 is OK for close range, 130y max .22lr hunting, where your kill zone is 1"-1.5" and more, say on a rabbit.

Minimum IMO for 100m target shooting would be x24 zoom with a 50 objective to give you a bigger view. I buy second-hand to get better glass for my few $$$$. Buy the best you can for your few $$$. I've had Nikko Sterling scopes when I was starting out shooting but soon found out the Banner scopes were better IMO.

I try to buy scopes that fit the need that I will be using them for. All these bought second-hand in the UK unseen, @about half price, or more than here.

Bushnell elite 4200 tactical 6-24x50 on both my 308 stalking and 223 varmint rifles. Sold one of these and regretted it so bought another to replace it.

Bushnell elite 3200 10x40 tactical on the CZ varmint .22lr rimfire mildot reticle when I had it. Focus was fixed @100y but I was able to adjust this by turning the front bell down to focus @25-100y. Now in a box on the shelve. Great little scope for the CZ 22lr rifles. Could head shoot rabbits up to 130y.

Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 on both my Ruger 10/22 and CF Marlin 1894 .38spl/357mag for gallery comp. shooting.
    Replaced one of these with a Hawke sidewinder 30 6-24x56 , bought new, on the Ruger 10/22. Good glass for the money and with tactical type turrets.

Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 for a CZ 22lr that was never bought, now sold on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

I'm target shooting at 50m and 100m using a Nikon Monarch 6x24x50 scope fine cross hair, good scope, oh and uttings are a good company to deal with if you go with there scope.

Wadi14 wrote: »
    I'm target shooting at 50m and 100m using a Nikon Monarch 6x24x50 scope fine cross hair, good scope, oh and uttings are a good company to deal with if you go with there scope.

They don't ship to ROI do they? Do we have to go the Parcel Motel route?

Just tried to order a scope online from Uttings and a message informed me they don't ship that item internationally.

It's harder to buy a feckin scope than a rifle!

I've ordered many scopes over the years, mostly keeping to Europe/UK for a hassle free transaction. The last time i was made do an end user agreement. This is a form you fill in, send back to the company you are buying from to promise you won't resell to the Taliban, etc. It takes about 10 days, and applies to all scopes of mil-spec or 4 power+.

They may refuse to do it as they view it as too much grief, but others will do it gladly.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

I think with uttings I sent the scope to the North, sportsmanguncentre.co.uk will send to Ireland but they will send you and email form to fill in, so that they can export scopes , I think if it over 4 power they need export from. sportsman was where I bought the Nikon

.......I think if it over 4 power they need export from.
    As above:
    Cass wrote: »
    The last time i was made do an end user agreement. This is a form you fill in, send back to the company you are buying from to promise you won't resell to the Taliban, etc. It takes about 10 days, and applies to all scopes of mil-spec or 4 power+.

Cass wrote: »
    As above:

I promise not to sell anything to the Taliban, except my anal virginity. Will that suffice?

Whatever blows yer hair back.

Advertisement